Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Patent Suggests Apple Wants to Filter That Which We Photograph or Video Record

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Patent Suggests Apple Wants to Filter That Which We Photograph or Video Record

Apple has filed a patent that could very well lead to the iPhone no longer allowing users to photograph or shoot video of anything they please.

Imagine for a moment that you're in a theater watching the new Lindsay Lohan movie. Since you're probably completely alone, you decide to take out your iPhone and capture a few minutes of footage from the movie (because you can't wait for the DVD to come out). Then, all of a sudden, your iPhone refuses to cooperate and won't let you record the footage.

Is it is a glitch? Nope. Instead, it's a new filtering sensor capable of detecting when you're photographing or recording copyrighted content that you could potentially pirate. Without question, this sort of technology would lend to a wide variety of settings - from sitting in a movie theater or at a concert, or even at a party when music you don't own the rights to begins playing in the background. All could potentially disable certain functionalities native to your iPhone.

Sound far fetched and ridiculous? Think again. Our friends at Patently Apple have the evidence to prove that Apple is, indeed, traveling down this road - at least in terms of exploring and securing the rights to this so-called filtering technology, which "could easily apply to movie theaters trying to stop customers from filming a movie for illegal distribution or any kind of music concert to protect an artist's image from being photographed or videoed illegally."

In a different application of this technology, recording functionality won't be disabled. But watermarking will be employed. "In some embodiments, a device may apply a watermark to detected images as an alternative to completely disabling a recording function," Patently Apple reports. "For example, a device may receive infrared signals with encoded data that includes a command to apply a watermark to detected images. In such an example, the device may then apply the watermark to all detected images that are displayed or stored (e.g., single pictures or frames of a video). This feature could be convenient, depending on how this is applied."

To read more about this most-curious Apple patent filing, click here.

Source: Patently Apple

As an usher at the Princess of Wales theatre in Toronto (currently showing The Lion King), I have to deal with a **** load of little kids coming in, pulling out their cell phones, taking pictures, making calls, texting in the middle of the show with their brightness on full, distracting other patrons, and just being a general nuisance. All of us ushers standing at the back of the theater can see when someone is taking a picture. Some people pull out actual digital cameras, a small portion pull out blackberry's, but the vast majority of these kids are pulling out iPhones. And every time someone tries to take a picture, I have to be the one that goes over and tells them to put it away, shut it off, or give it to me. I don't like being a ****, but I get paid to, so it's kind of my job.
    Technology like this (designating a certain no-picture zone), is ideal for certain areas, such as musical theater, movie theaters, and other theater venues. However, I don't believe it will be implemented for all concerts, since that would just not make any sense. Part of the fun of going to a concert is shooting some crappy video of the performer and then uploading it to Facebook the next day and waiting for all the comments about how jealous everyone is to come flying in.
    So yes, I believe this patent is much needed (to an extent), and I hope RIM and other smartphone companies follow suit.
    Last edited by Risingstar; 06-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't care where you work. You won't be saying any of that if it happened to you.

WoW! I hate Apple thank god for Jailbreak, how could they possibly stop this if you werent connected to the Internet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ceramicwhite View Post
    WoW! I hate Apple thank god for Jailbreak, how could they possibly stop this if you werent connected to the Internet.
    for real! there will be an Cydia tweak for that! That is BS to restrict what record or take pictures of, whats next, filtering websites that i visit? Make me only go to Welcome to the Apple Store - Apple Store (U.S.) to buy more crap from you controlling pricks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Super Jailbreak to the rescue, Now you can record whatever you want.

Let's see what I can do with my JB iPhone 4......

I think we may be overlooking something in this diagram:

This isn't self contained on the individual portable device. If you pay close attention to the illustration from the patent application, item (590) is emitting a signal (599) that the device (500) is "listening" for. It is most likely a digital signal that will only be emitted by a device that Apple will sell to movie theaters, touring bands, etc. So, unless your company's DJ purchases one of these (probably very expensive) devices from apple, you will still be able to record your drunk coworkers singing at the Christmas party while the B52s' Rock Lobster is playing in the background (lol YouTube - ‪Family Guy [Rock Lobster xD]‬‏)

I see more applications for this besides the entertainment industry, too. Some potentially scary, others potentially reassuring, and some a little of both. Case in point, you are not supposed to photograph bridges, tunnels, etc (for fear of terrorism). If all cameras eventually conformed this invention, these emitters could be installed at these "soft locations" and prevent you form taking pictures of them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (07-03-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

that's bullcrap! it's like big brother Apple is trying to pry more into our lives!

If Apple starts doing crap like that I won't need to jailbreak my phone, because mine won't be an Apple product.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

haha Not surprised. Already decided on leaving Apple when my mobile contract is up. Android here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by Risingstar View Post
    As an usher at the Princess of Wales theatre in Toronto (currently showing The Lion King), I have to deal with a **** load of little kids coming in, pulling out their cell phones, taking pictures, making calls, texting in the middle of the show with their brightness on full, distracting other patrons, and just being a general nuisance. All of us ushers standing at the back of the theater can see when someone is taking a picture. Some people pull out actual digital cameras, a small portion pull out blackberry's, but the vast majority of these kids are pulling out iPhones. And every time someone tries to take a picture, I have to be the one that goes over and tells them to put it away, shut it off, or give it to me. I don't like being a ****, but I get paid to, so it's kind of my job.
    Technology like this (designating a certain no-picture zone), is ideal for certain areas, such as musical theater, movie theaters, and other theater venues. However, I don't believe it will be implemented for all concerts, since that would just not make any sense. Part of the fun of going to a concert is shooting some crappy video of the performer and then uploading it to Facebook the next day and waiting for all the comments about how jealous everyone is to come flying in.
    So yes, I believe this patent is much needed (to an extent), and I hope RIM and other smartphone companies follow suit.
    If that holds true, you might be standing in unemployment since you won't have to be a bad *** Iphone security guard.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the real question is, wasn't this JUST reported on yesterday!?

Apple will be the biggest douchebags if they actually go through with this. It's a complete waste of money and can be easily bypass with software.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thank you Apple! Not thank you for this new idea you're going to implement but thank you for driving the resale price of my iPhone 4 up because it DOESN'T have this crappy addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Risingstar View Post
    I can imagine the light from the screen annoying people that are behind the picture-taker, but wouldn't a better solution be to simply send out a signal that auto-dims the screen way down, instead of disabling the app altogether? There's nothing wrong or illegal about taking a photograph or video at a concert or event. In fact, that could impede on civil rights. If it was the government doing this kind of censorship, all hell would break loose.