+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: comScore Data Shows Apple Overpowering RIM in Smartphone Usage Market Share

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Chalk up another smartphone victory for Apple. According to the findings published Friday morning by the folks at comScore, an April survey of mobile phone usage shows that Apple blew
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default comScore Data Shows Apple Overpowering RIM in Smartphone Usage Market Share

Chalk up another smartphone victory for Apple. According to the findings published Friday morning by the folks at comScore, an April survey of mobile phone usage shows that Apple blew past Research in Motion to secure the second spot in the US among smartphone platforms. For now, Android is holding fast to the top spot.

Google Android ranked as the top operating system with 36.4 percent of U.S. smartphone subscribers, up 5.2 percentage points. Apple also gained share, capturing the #2 position with 26.0 percent of the smartphone market. RIM ranked third with 25.7 percent share, followed by Microsoft (6.7 percent) and Palm (2.6 percent).
    comScore, a leader in "measuring the digital world," gleans such insights from its MobiLens service, which reports on key trends in the US mobile phone industry. This study in particular was produced by surveying more than 30,000 US mobile subscribers. The findings, however, show Samsung to be the top handset manufacturer overall with 24.5% market share.

With regard to mobile subscriber share, Apple jumped to the #4 position with an 8.3% share of mobile subscribers (up 1.3 percentage points from the last study). RIM, however, was close behind in fifth place with an 8.2% share. Still, it's a strong showing for Apple and one that portends favorably for the future consumer adoption rate of the touchscreen handset.

To read the full report from comScore, click here.

Banned
    Thanks

where is everyone? Google Android tops Apple iOS by 10 points while Apple barely squeaks by RIM by .pts?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Android dominates the market because the phones are by and large given away. Were it not for two-for-one specials and free handsets (with new contract) Android would be far from dominant. Additionally developers target iOS primarily and only code for Android as a second choice because iOS users spend more on apps by a large margin. iOS users spend more on accessories, hardware, software, etc. iOS users also view more videos, browse the web more, and in general make better use of their devices. Android only has the top spot because most people still treat their phones as insignificant commodities and happily take what comes free instead of demanding a quality product.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Android dominates the market because the phones are by and large given away. Were it not for two-for-one specials and free handsets (with new contract) Android would be far from dominant. Additionally developers target iOS primarily and only code for Android as a second choice because iOS users spend more on apps by a large margin. iOS users spend more on accessories, hardware, software, etc. iOS users also view more videos, browse the web more, and in general make better use of their devices. Android only has the top spot because most people still treat their phones as insignificant commodities and happily take what comes free instead of demanding a quality product.
    Agreed, also there are like 100 phones with android and only 4 with ios, do the math. Also just 1 company had the iOs until this february and look at all the % it gained in just 4 months. I could care less about the stats since i am really happy with my iphone and there hasnt ever since i got my 2g been a phone that i would really like to get, not the evo and not the new motorola (forgot the name haha). It just makes sense that apple wouldnt be #1 especially the way the economy is and apple will never discount a phone until the new one comes out. Iphone prices are the same everywhere unlike the Android based phones that you could find different prices everywhere from amazon to best buy to kiosks at the mall.