+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Red Pop Brings Real Shutter Release Button to iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Red Pop Brings Real Shutter Release Button to iPhone

The iPhone takes great pictures for a smartphone, but you can hardly compare it to a regular point-and-shoot camera. You can pick up just about any camera in the world, even the most sophisticated DSLRs, and know right away where the shutter release button is located. This is not the case with the iPhone, however. It may be a marvel of engineering, but when it comes to taking pictures, it’s hardly the most intuitive camera. That’s not to say it’s difficult to take pictures with, but it could be better. That’s where Red Pop comes in.

Red Pop is an iPhone 4 accessory that connects to the 30-pin dock connector and gives you a real button to take pictures with. It works in conjunction with a free app and photos are saved directly to the photo album. The device is made of aluminum and plastic and the developers have gone to great lengths to ensure that the camera button has the right feel to it. “Red Pop also allows you to shoot away like you would with a camera, with less downtime between shots.”

The developers of Red Pop have a great love of photography in general. They state, “let's bring the button back! To us, buttons are beautiful, an invitation that screams out ‘c’mon press me’. Red Pop's design is rooted in the now but with a subtle and respectful nod to the beautiful and iconic cameras of the past.” Having a real button to take pictures with will be a welcomed change of pace. I’m sure it will lead to a slew of photo’s that would have otherwise been missed.

Beep Industries is an English company that is funding the project through Kickstarter. The developers hope to have Red Pop in stores by September. If you want to be the first kid on your block to own one, then you’ll have to pony up $75 or more. Hopefully, the price will be somewhat lower when Red Pop comes out this fall.

Source: Gizmodo

Thanks

I'm thinking about backing this but what happens to my $65 if they don't reach the target

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea, no thanks. I can see a much better use for $65 or $75 then a button thats already there. I can see if this thing could double as additional battery or something of sort but not just a button and really no other benefit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeah... or Apple could stop being jackasses and allow the volume buttons to be used as shutter release buttons for camera apps. they are plain wrong when they say it'd cause "customer confusion"; any customer who'd be confused by a multi-purpose button is gonna be confused by a smartphone anyway.

i still haven't updated Camera+ after Apple made them remove this hidden feature – i value it way too much.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
    Yea, no thanks. I can see a much better use for $65 or $75 then a button thats already there. I can see if this thing could double as additional battery or something of sort but not just a button and really no other benefit.
    i completely agree with you, there is enough room in there for a battery, or a microphone, or both...
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yikes....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLeonard View Post
    i completely agree with you, there is enough room in there for a battery, or a microphone, or both...
    Now this iShuttr - The ultimate camera accessory for the iPhone 4 by Robert Haleluk — Kickstarter looks like a MUCH more useful spending of $70 or so. On the other hand, the Iphone 4 is near the end of the design cycle and may be refreshed soon. Many accesories may need to be adjuested to accomidate Iphone5 (or 4gs or whatever you wanna call it).

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    I'm thinking about backing this but what happens to my $65 if they don't reach the target
    Your choice of payment does not get charged until their target funding is met on the date specified in kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by jigme View Post
    yeah... or Apple could stop being jackasses and allow the volume buttons to be used as shutter release buttons for camera apps. they are plain wrong when they say it'd cause "customer confusion"; any customer who'd be confused by a multi-purpose button is gonna be confused by a smartphone anyway.

i still haven't updated Camera+ after Apple made them remove this hidden feature – i value it way too much.
    There is a tweak in Cydia that will let you do this as well, so you can upgrade.

Thanks

For the idiot who has everything....

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

what i've always wondered is why no one has designed a similar add-on for the 3GS that incorporates a flash? it seems it would work on the same principle...plugging into the connector...a little late now perhaps with a new phone around the corner but there are still quite a few 3 series phones that would benefit from an add-on flash

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    what i've always wondered is why no one has designed a similar add-on for the 3GS that incorporates a flash? it seems it would work on the same principle...plugging into the connector...a little late now perhaps with a new phone around the corner but there are still quite a few 3 series phones that would benefit from an add-on flash

Totally! If anything, 4 already has a flash, something the original and 3 series lacked all together.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey mmi.. your photos are out of the margin.. we can't see the whole picture on your post..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    Your choice of payment does not get charged until their target funding is met on the date specified in kickstarter.

There is a tweak in Cydia that will let you do this as well, so you can upgrade.
    What is the name of that tweak?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebnz View Post
    What is the name of that tweak?
    SnapTap

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

this is a great idea but too much for. i like taking pictures but i wold rather invest into something else for my actual camera rather than my smartphones camera

this is a great idea but too much for. i like taking pictures but i wold rather invest into something else for my actual camera rather than my smartphones camera
    Last edited by EskimoRuler; 06-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

That is mad ugly. I also really dont wanna carry around more crap in my pockets.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I can use my finger for less than .5 cents

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok This Would Have Been Cool If You Could Take Pictures With It Then Take The Piece To A Walmart Or Walgreens And Print The Pictures Easily

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

that's awesome! too bad I don't have $65 to help em' out lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

battery OGTFO!
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along