Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Files Real Life DRM Patent

Default Apple Files Real Life DRM Patent

A new Apple patent, recently published by the US Patents and Trademark office, proposes a number of ways infrared data can be utilized in a next generation camera system for phones.

The technology has an incredible amount of potential, including the ability to display product information about an object near a user. It has the possibility to create an increasingly interactive retail experience. Also, it could be used to identify landmarks for tourists, providing people with a self guided tour.

However, the dark side of this patent rears its ugly head in that the infrared data transmitted to and from the phone could be used to disable functions on the device.

Enter real world digital rights management.

Imagine being at a concert, and are attempting to capture a video of your favorite band. You pull out your phone, launch the camera, and are greeted with the message "Recording Disabled." Thank you technological advancements.

In reality, I'm surprised it has taken this long for a company to actually think of, and patent this technology. Criminals have already figured this out and developed LED necklaces that render infrared security cameras useless. It was only a matter of time until the record companies, and movie industry caught on and used it to milk more money out of our pockets.

Worst case scenario is this infrared real life DRM gets implemented at all national monuments, places of interest, and we're relegated to paying Splash Mountain prices for photos of our family vacations.

Source: Patently Apple

Hmm not sure about this. On one hand it would be incredibly awsome and cool but on the other it could really suck.

Gosh that seems to take away that whole "freedom" thing. Isn't there some amendment somewhere that talked about that?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple filing for new DRM Patents?
    Goodbye Apple....if you start implement new DRM in my life you won't get my money. How the hell does blocking me from recording a concert I've paid for benefit Apple in any way? I wish Apple wasn't becoming the big bad corporation it is now. You used be cool Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia will have a work around up in no time if that's the case...nothing to worry about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (06-03-2011)

This is pretty cool technology for sure, but would be outrageous if they actually implemented it. This would be obnoxious in real world use. What if you just want to take some picture of you and your friends at the show and the band happens to be in the background. Companies just need to stop being such greedy bastards.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to andypropaganda For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (06-03-2011)

Here comes the day I stop wanting to go to concerts. One of the joys of a live show is taking something away from it, whether it be a small video or audio clip, this will just kill that ability which adds to the disappointment of every increasing prices for tickets.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    Hmm not sure about this. On one hand it would be incredibly awsome and cool but on the other it could really suck.
    +1000