Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ECS Demos Padfone-Like Protoype At Computex

Default ECS Demos Padfone-Like Protoype At Computex

Apparently Asus wasn't the only one thinking of ways to combine smartphones and tablets in a Voltron-esque fashion. Computer maker ECS, hours after Asus debuted the Padfone, demoed a non-functional iPhone like Padfone prototype.

The ECS offering is essentially a 9.7" iPhone tablet dock. Once the iPhone is inserted into the device, it outputs the iPhones video via HMDI to the larger tablet display. In addition to the larger screen the tablet housing adds an SD card slot, a front-facing camera, and two USB ports.

The most promising aspect of the device is it will work across multiple platforms, and be compatible with future phone models using "simple upgrades." It is interesting that ECS would allow the device to be used with multiple platforms, perhaps the connector in the docking slot is modular and can be changed out depending on the phone that is going to be inserted.

While it appears that the tablet dock itself will not run any software, one has to wonder if some sort of proprietary software will need to run on the phone to allow the larger touch surface of the tablet housing to manipulate the smaller device. I don't see Apple sanctioning something like this, but perhaps the Jailbreak community is where device could flourish. It is a smart move to say that this is not an Apple only accessory though. If it were easily attainable, and worked well with Apple products, but was not marketed as such, ECS might be able to skirt some of the legal trouble Apple could dish out.

It's an interesting accessory, and its hinted price point of $200 doesn't seem too ridiculous. Intriguing though it may be, the odds seem stacked against ECS's tablet dock in coming to market.

Source: ITProPortal
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 05-31-2011 at 10:08 PM.

No need for iPad if this works well, but will the screen have multitouch as well?
    I wonder how they would implement that..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

next line up is "the humancentipad"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i wanna see the front part of the screen.

i hope it works with the ipod touch 4g too because that looks awesom

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franzli View Post
    i wanna see the front part of the screen.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluprint View Post
    next line up is "the humancentipad"
    yes!

but how will this work with hd apps? when installing an ipad app, one is suppose to use the hd version for the ipad. i dont think the iphone can download the HD version of apps. if not, then then this tablet will only display non HD apps.. it may not look that well

great concept non the less.

Very interesting! Consider this: A case for Apple savvy techies. It is a case for BOTH an iPhone and an iPad. There is a battery in some empty space, that can power both devices.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    No need for iPad if this works well, but will the screen have multitouch as well?
    If they copy everything from the padfone, then yes. it will have a touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFX View Post
    I don't think this will work well with the iPhone, iPod, etc. considering all the patent Apple has put on their technologies and software. I really can't see a how this can be an iPad replacement.