+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Eric Schmidt: Google to Stay in Business With Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Eric Schmidt: Google to Stay in Business With Apple

Eric Schmidt, the former CEO of Google and current company executive chairman revealed Tuesday in an interview with AllThingsD’s D9, that the internet search giant has effectively "mapped" out a renewed partnership with the Cupertino, California-based tech giant. That is, Google will continue to provide Google Maps for Apple's iOS, including the forthcoming iOS 5.

"We just renewed our Map and Search agreements with Apple, and we hope those continue for a long time," Schmidt said, not really surprising anyone except for the part where he used the word "just." I mean, were Apple and Google really considering parting ways on Google Maps in iOS? Doesn't it seem as though these go together like ham and cheese? Nonetheless, no matter how recently the deal was done, the important thing is that it was eventually "done."

Of course, Google's Schmidt was far from complete hugs-and-kisses when it came to talking Apple. This was highlighted by one exchange with an inquiring audience member. "Regarding Google Web Services," an audience participant began, "which is one of the areas where Google enjoys superiority over Apple is in voice recognition, have you considered Google Voice opening up to platforms beyond Android? And what's up with Translate API being killed due to widespread abuse?"

Schmidt responded: "The answer is yes, but of course we never know if the app's going to be approved on the other side. It's complicated due to rules on the other platforms."

Source: All Things Digital

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

i hope they update the app to be on the same level or better than the android version

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sucram6791 View Post
    i hope they update the app to be on the same level or better than the android version
    Yeah, as in they need native turn by turn NAV!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF Apple, if this is not in iOS5, its back to android for me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course they'd keep Google. Google maps is the shiznit

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The maps on android is constantly upgrading and getting better. Apple has not approve any updates for the maps. Android has 3d mapping, offline mode, accident notification, and tons of other features. I had a iPhone since first gen and there is little to no change on google maps. Why? Cause apple doesn't want to give it away for free. There's other apps that charges money for the different features and apple gets 30% of sales.