+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 to Feature SIM-less design, A5 processor and 8MP Camera

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iPhone 5 to Feature SIM-less design, A5 processor and 8MP Camera

It’s looking more and more likely that the next iPhone model update will miss the usual June/July launch window. There is some speculation that it may not even be released until the spring of 2012 at the earliest. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait that long for a new iPhone model, however.

Japanese website macotakara is reporting, “According to an anonymous source, this reported product by DigiTimes is improved model of iPhone 4 on same form factor, and uses ARM Cortex-A9 chip as CPU, but it is not confirmed whether this model has single CPU or with dual CPU's.” Although English does not appear to be their first language, the bullet points are clear, the next iPhone will be quite an improvement over the existing model. It is also expected to look very similar to the current iPhone 4 and include an 8MP camera, although it is unlikely to come from Sony as previous reports indicated.

Reports also indicate that this may be the first SIM-less iPhone. This design would include 3-4 internal antennas that would be compatible with both GSM and CDMA wireless carriers, making this a so-called ‘world phone.’ This design would reduce production costs for Apple considerably, as they would only need to manufacture one iPhone model. This single design would then be compatible with a wide variety of wireless providers.

The next model may not even carry a ‘5’ in its model name, but follow in the footsteps of the 3GS and be named the ‘iPhone 4S’ instead. It is not expected to include ‘4G’ in the model name because it is not expected to be compatible with existing 4G networks as of yet.

With Apple’s World Wide Developers Conference starting next week, hopefully, Apple will let a few of their iPhone hardware plans out of the bag a little early. At the very least, the future of iOS 5 should be revealed at the event. New hardware designs that take advantage of the latest operating system can’t possibly be too far behind.

Source: AppleInsider

iPhone? More like MyPhone Chibichuba's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice! I can't wait till the iPhone 5 comes out, knowing that Apple usually does a great job on their newer models. Except for the early bugs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I hate to say it but Apple can kizz my azz....... I'm tired of waiting on them to make a decision and start playing on the same field as HTC, Samsung and Android. Don't get me wrong I still love my iphone, but the 3GS is so dated, and I refuse to upgrade to the iphone 4 knowing that some new iphone will be eventually coming around the corner. I hope that iOS 5 and the iphone 5, 4G, 4GS, or what ever the hell they decide to call it really does knock our socks off, bc I've been an avid iphone user since they first came out, Iv'e got a 3GS, ipad, and ipad 2, and I've got so many apps that its rediculous, but over the weekend I ventured over to the HTC Inspire, and it runs loops around my 3GS. I know some will say the iphone 4 is leaps and bounds above the 3GS, and yes you are right, my wife has one and I'm very familiar with it. But considering I need a new phone now that doesn't suffer from the lag, tiny screen, and terribly dated OS, I think the Inspire fulfils my needs nicely. Sad thing is that I don't miss my iPhone at all. So, come on Apple shock us next week, with something really magical, before you really start loosing dedicated customers.

Follow up......
    I'm really enjoying the Inspire and the Android platform. I've talked soooo much junk to friends and family about how horrible and slow android phones are, based on my experiment with the Nexus One last year, but Android has come a long way in 1 years time, and the HTC phone is great! A little big, sound from speakers is low, but it's fast, and the screen is crystal clear. I can't believe I'm saying this, but only having 1 button- "Home Button" and having to exit the app store just to install an app, is inconvenient and a pain. I can do almost everything on the Inspire that I'd like to do on my jailbroken 3GS 3 times as fast. Only thing that sucks is that AT&T has sent me the text of death, stating I need to upgrade to a 4G plan. Now aint that a B****!!!

So I'm begging you once again.....plllllllleeeeeaaaaase Apple do the right thing with this next iphone.."Give us a great OS and a great phone!"
    Last edited by ripped53; 05-31-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

If I get a 4" screen or bigger i will be willing to ditch my DX for you again apple.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Simless would be awesome, I would love a bigger screen aslong as the actual size of the phone doesnt get bigger. Also would love it to still hold weight but be even thinner. Like ipod touch thin and with it being simless that gives it even more possibility.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Sim less would suck... So much for not paying roaming fees out of the country.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    Sim less would suck... So much for not paying roaming fees out of the country.
    You got a point there i am guessing there would have to be a work around that
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    You got a point there i am guessing there would have to be a work around that
    Another reason simless will suck: There are three members in our family and we always update to the latest iphone whenever one of us has an update coming from AT&T. We then just shuffle the sim cards around so the heaviest user (in this case me) has the newest phone, the wife gets the next one down and junior gets the third.

Without sims, will we still be able to shuffle like that?

Thanks

Thats not true at all. I can do shuffling around with upgrades with out changing the sim card.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thats not true at all. I can do shuffling around with upgrades with out changing the sim card.
    Well you couldnt swap around cards with the 3gs and 4 anyways because of the different sims, but what i think he is trying to say is that it is soo much easier to swap a sim card than having to call att in order for them to be changing the phone. I have relatives with Sprint and they have to call or go into the store anytime they want to use a different phone. Its a hassle, what if you break your screen or home button and have an old phone, well its as easy as getting the sim and inserting it to the old phone and now you have a phone without having to go out of your way to get a new one to work with your number. Ive always loved att for this because sim cards are easy.

Thanks

I get that but I mean there is an Att store everywhere and if something like that happens how hard is it to pop in a grab a free sim real quick. I get what your saying not trying to really argue guess you guys are more or less basing it on convience

bmengstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    I hate to say it but Apple can kizz my azz....... I'm tired of waiting on them to make a decision and start playing on the same field as HTC, Samsung and Android. Don't get me wrong I still love my iphone, but the 3GS is so dated, and I refuse to upgrade to the iphone 4 knowing that some new iphone will be eventually coming around the corner. I hope that iOS 5 and the iphone 5, 4G, 4GS, or what ever the hell they decide to call it really does knock our socks off, bc I've been an avid iphone user since they first came out, Iv'e got a 3GS, ipad, and ipad 2, and I've got so many apps that its rediculous, but over the weekend I ventured over to the HTC Inspire, and it runs loops around my 3GS. I know some will say the iphone 4 is leaps and bounds above the 3GS, and yes you are right, my wife has one and I'm very familiar with it. But considering I need a new phone now that doesn't suffer from the lag, tiny screen, and terribly dated OS, I think the Inspire fulfils my needs nicely. Sad thing is that I don't miss my iPhone at all. So, come on Apple shock up next week before you really start loosing dedicated customers.
    Well Said.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Simless would be awesome, I would love a bigger screen aslong as the actual size of the phone doesnt get bigger. Also would love it to still hold weight but be even thinner. Like ipod touch thin and with it being simless that gives it even more possibility.
    Apple would be making a terrible mistake to go SIMLESS and personally I don't think they will. The ability to swop SIMS between phones, to unlock and use foreign SIMS when travelling to avoid International rates etc. etc. is one of the many things that make the GSM system more appealing. I for one would not use an apple device that went SIMLESS. In fact just last week a friend needed to make a business call from their phone and their battery was flat. They were able to swop their SIM into my 3GS and make their call from their number.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (06-02-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SIMless is like a going backward Technology!

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

itll get marketed as 4g (at least by at&t and tmobile) because itll probably have HSPA+

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Don't go SIM less please Apple...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hope there aren't two small change phones in July and next year. I will wait for the one next year if it's in January only if it's got the bigger screen. Although this is probably why there is not going to be the iPhone 3GS included in iOS 5 which is just like any company trying (and successfully) nickel and diming us (or in this case Washington and Benjamining us)

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

I would really like for the iPhone to come in the summer. Preferably at the end of June like it always has. But it's not looking like that will happen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't forget that Apple never does anything to please us - ONLY APPLE

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

(This is a what if situation or what will likely happen)
    Apple At WWDC: We are announcing that the new iphone will be called the iphone 4S and it will look exactly the same as the current iphone 4 except for the camera which is 8 MP and the speed is faster. For those ppl that missed out on the iphone 4 last year or liked the design now u get a second change to get a phone that looks exactly the same except with slightly betta specs and dual core. We did this with the 3g to 3gs now we will do it with the 4 to 4S because we like pissing ppl off and we like keeping the same shape for 2 years then redesign
    Other People: wtf!!!!!!!!!
    Me: I knew it was gonna look the same haha time to wait for an iphone 6 redesigned phone and by that time i can upgrade Now i can shove in the faces of ppl with the 4S