+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Stay with Google Maps for iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Over the last few years Apple has purchased two online mapping companies, Placebase and Poly9 . This has led many to speculate that Apple may want to abandoned Google Maps
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple to Stay with Google Maps for iOS 5

Over the last few years Apple has purchased two online mapping companies, Placebase and Poly9. This has led many to speculate that Apple may want to abandoned Google Maps in favor of new mapping technologies developed in-house instead. Tension between Apple and Google has been on the rise ever since Google decided to expand into areas already dominated by Apple.

A new report coming out of 9to5 Google indicates that Apple may, in fact, stay with Google Maps when iOS 5 is finally released in the next few months. It now seems more than likely that Apple will instead enhance the mapping features in iOS 5 by building in a crowd-sourced traffic database and improving traffic related services as well. Apple may also choose to include it’s own turn-by-turn GPS navigation system when the next iOS update is released.

Apple’s World Wide Developers Conference starts June 6, and the focus of this year’s event will be the forthcoming new versions of Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5. In a little over a weeks time, Apple will finally reveal the future of iOS 5 and the fate of the Maps app as well. For now, however, it looks as though Apple will be using Google Maps for the foreseeable future. Exactly what upgrades the Maps app will receive is anyone’s guess at the moment.

Hopefully, the future of Apple navigation will include the ability to cache mapping data so you can still find where you’re going, even if you don’t have any bars. Oh, and voice recognition across the entire operating system would be really nice as well.

Source: 9to5 Google

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i like google maps. just add turnbyturn

Thanks

Google Maps is very good and Streetview is what makes it so much better than any alternative - I don't think anyone else has the resources to match that so I hope Apple stick with it.

Enhancing it with additional features would be good though - hopefully that is the way it will go.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, they just need to update it like Google did for Android.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I wish they would also give us a NIGHT view that would change the colors of the map for better and not as bright view at night!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Anyone surprised about this?
    The mapping company do not have the means for all the updates required without Apple to invest lots more money into it. Only way to get Apple to change is if Google put "powered by Android" on their maps, that would put a stiff one up Apple's ....

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

It's no better maps like GOOGLE...

Thanks

I even didn't know that is google i thought is apple map

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

Bing Maps is a great alternative. Would fit well with its birds eye view.