+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Record 360˚ Videos on your iPhone with Dot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Record 360˚ Videos on your iPhone with Dot

The iPhone has a dizzying array of photo accessories that let’s you extend the range of it’s built in camera. Dot is a camera attachment that lets you take panoramic videos with your iPhone. The raw videos look something like funhouse mirror movies, but when viewed with the accompanying app, the videos are quite impressive. You can scroll around moving panoramas with a simple touch of your finger.

According to the developers, “Dot lets your iPhone capture immersive, fully navigable, panoramic video in real-time - and share with friends on your phone, as well as on Facebook and Twitter, or streamed online using our awesome panoramic video web platform and player.”

To take panoramic videos with the Dot, you simply attach the unit to your iPhone, set it in a convenient location with the camera facing up and start recording. You can’t use the screen while filming, but this shouldn’t be too much of a problem most of the time. Hopefully, the accompanying app will let you trim the videos so you can edit out the time it takes to put the unit in place.

The project is being funded through Kickstarter and has already met its goal. The project will be funded on July 3, with Dot units shipping this summer for $99. Kogeto began making panoramic hardware with the introduction of the Lucy, a high-end video capture unit that costs several thousand dollars a piece. It’s nice to see that a more consumer friendly version is on the way so more people can enjoy this technology.

We’ve all seen how Google’s Street View allows you to see map locations from the ground with static images. This technology makes Street View look a little dated by comparison. Kogeto hopes that “with it you will be able to share navigable panoramic videos like the ones on our site with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or embedded into your own site.” I look forward to testing out Dot when it ship later this summer.

Source: Cult of Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooh I can't wait to get my hands on this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone fabbuloso's Avatar
    Thanks

is it just for $99

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just watched a few of the videos recorded with this device on the manufactures website. The quality of the videos is horrible and blurry :S ... i see no practical use for this item. The iPhone 4 records HD video ... so destroying that ability for the sake of a 360 view makes no sense. Just buy a 3GS and use it rather than iPhone 4. Bup.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    I just watched a few of the videos recorded with this device on the manufactures website. The quality of the videos is horrible and blurry :S ... i see no practical use for this item. The iPhone 4 records HD video ... so destroying that ability for the sake of a 360 view makes no sense. Just buy a 3GS and use it rather than iPhone 4. Bup.

There's no reason to be negative, its in no way helpful to anyone. This is a cool little gadget that lets you do something different with your phone, if you don't like it, don't by it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyroemaniac View Post
    There's no reason to be negative, its in no way helpful to anyone. This is a cool little gadget that lets you do something different with your phone, if you don't like it, don't by it.
    Actually, it is helpful to be negative. If you sugarcoat everything, you get no real feel if something is worth time or not.

The video does suck balls. I can only see a good use for this if maybe a realtor was taking pictures for a house for sale and wanted to show 360° image on a website. Thats about it though.

Just because someone made the gadget doesn't mean its useful.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Actually, it is helpful to be negative. If you sugarcoat everything, you get no real feel if something is worth time or not.

The video does suck balls. I can only see a good use for this if maybe a realtor was taking pictures for a house for sale and wanted to show 360° image on a website. Thats about it though.

Just because someone made the gadget doesn't mean its useful.
    They never claim that you can record in hd with the device and just because you can't think of any use for it doesn't mean other people won't. People like to be updated with new information and things that can be done with their phone. Nothing is sugarcoated, the device does what is promised and that is all that is needed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

All I can see is the damn plastic all around, they need gorilla glass for that so I do not see the glare.