+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customize the Look and Feel of Your iPhone Calculator with 'My Custom Calc'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It doesn't take a calculator to add up how many design and appearance options come with your iPhone's preloaded calculator tool - zero. This big, fat goose-egg provided the impetus
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Customize the Look and Feel of Your iPhone Calculator with 'My Custom Calc'

It doesn't take a calculator to add up how many design and appearance options come with your iPhone's preloaded calculator tool - zero. This big, fat goose-egg provided the impetus for a new app that makes your iPhone calculator customizable in lots of cool ways. And we have the team at Happenstance LLC to thank for this free and download-worthy addition to the App Store.

A few hours ago, I connected with Christopher Lee of Happenstance who said the idea for the app came up about two months ago after he and his partner "started talking about how boring the native iPhone calculator was, how small the buttons were, and that it included buttons we've never used (like mc, m+, m-, and mr)."

In case you're wondering, that was one of the first things I checked out in the app - No more annoying buttons like those referenced. That alone is enough to make me want to hug these people.

Of course, there are more attributes worth discussing than simply that which the app omits. For example, you can customize each aspect of the calculator with a color customizer tool. You can preview all skins before purchasing and applying. And there's even a few nice pre-made skin packs available through in-app purchase.

"The iPhone is such an awesome device and the calculator is such a commonly used app that we wanted to let users customize it to suit their personality and mood," Lee tells MMi. "We wanted everyone to feel like this app is 'mine.'"

As you can imagine, all the basics are there - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Therr's a nice default user interface and, overall, it's easy to see why users are providing very positive feedback.

"Response has been amazing so far and we've been featured in the 'New & Noteworthy' section of the AppStore," Lee adds. "We've got great reviews and everyone loves the fact they can customize their calculator however they want. We've got more pre-made skin packs planned as well and they're going to really pop."

To check out 'My Custom Calc,' click here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Hmmm

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Rad. I love specialized customizations like this.

Thanks

Meh. I've always stayed away from stuff like this. Themes and skins have ALWAYS caused problems for me. I have not seen one with the polish and reliability that stock has. Boring? Maybe. Springboard crashes? None.

Banned
    Thanks

Awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Meh. I've always stayed away from stuff like this. Themes and skins have ALWAYS caused problems for me. I have not seen one with the polish and reliability that stock has. Boring? Maybe. Springboard crashes? None.
    If you replace the UI and everything with iFile or something like that springboard might not crash so much. I haven't tried this though because it sounds like a pain

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Pretty cool but never really use my Calculator or thought about customizing it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Pretty cool but never really use my Calculator or thought about customizing it.
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

Those M buttons ARE annoying! Lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is precisely what I've always believed to be holding the iPhone back. Finally, with custom calculator colors, Apple's device is no longer indistinguishable among the countless bland phone calculators out there.

I blame Steve Jobs for his lack of vision and creativity for the mundane phone calculator shipped with all of our iDevices. Such an oversight really warrants a re-evaluation of his software engineering and analysis departments, else we start calling for some fat cats to start stepping down.

Thanks

I rarely use the calculator so I really never cared about having a customized one. I'm fine with everything, except the annoying M buttons (who uses those anyway?). But having custom skins and themes are awesome, though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this looks pretty sick for those of us that like to totally customize our devices