+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Feds May Decide if Apple's 'App Store' Can Co-Exist with Amazon's 'Appstore'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Feds May Decide if Apple's 'App Store' Can Co-Exist with Amazon's 'Appstore'

Listen up, Amazon... “appstore” is neither generic or legally permissible for you to use. That's the message Apple is essentially sending to Amazon. Again.

In a bitter battle that has ended up in a courtroom showdown, Apple is refusing to "play nice" and let others share in the promotional rewards of having an "app store"" to call their own. And thankfully for those of us who are utterly tired of reading about this lingering app store war, perhaps a resolution - but not an amicable one - will soon be reached in the court of law.

In yet another filing this week in a California federal court, Apple has once again pursued legal channels to express its displeasure over Amazon's use of “Appstore” - despite the fact that Amazon presents "Appstore" is one word. According to Amazon, “the words ‘app store' together denote a store for apps, such as the app stores operated by Amazon and Apple.”

"Apple denies that, based on their common meaning, the words 'app store' together denote a store for apps," Apple said in its filing yesterday, illustrating the company's commitment to keeping the fight alive. "Apple denies that the words 'app store' are commonly used among many businesses to describe mobile software download services and further denies that the term 'app store market' is used to describe the market for mobile software download services."

Indeed, no matter how far Amazon pushes its argument, Apple isn't going to back down. And, for this reason, it's apparent that federal courts may ultimately have no choice but to settle what Apple and Amazon can't seem to work out between themselves.

Source: PC World

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

davesnothere11 (05-21-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

When I hear "App Store" I think apple. These other companies are just trying to ride the app store name coat tails.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    When I hear "App Store" I think apple. These other companies are just trying to ride the app store name coat tails.
    I agree
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

if only these guys sold condoms

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im going to trademark "Media Player" and bring everyone who has ever used it to court. LoL

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think Apple's argument for this case is a damn joke!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

+1, when I hear android market I think android!

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only thing Apple loves more than its users is litigation. This is a frivolous law suit and Apple will not
    get thier way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree too...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

App makes me think Apple honestly. android market makes me that android, and ovi store makes me vomit
    Last edited by Pomme123; 05-20-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    I mean seriously, if you ask a random person and ask them about an "App Store," they would most likely think of Apple. Therefore, I see the logic behind Apple's claim, but I think these lawsuits are getting out of hand...

Thanks

Stupid claim, clearly Amazon is using the term because of Apple, but Apple should have no rights to the term. An App Store basically is s store for Apps. Would Apple have a problem with them having an Application Store, probably not. And if they did what else could Amazon call it. If not, well what's wrong with App Store since it is just a shortened version of Application Store.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamemaster77 For This Useful Post:

codvisp (05-21-2011)

Thanks

This.
    It'll be interesting to see how things turn out

PM me if u think my sigs nice

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Stupid claim, clearly Amazon is using the term because of Apple, but Apple should have no rights to the term. An App Store basically is s store for Apps. Would Apple have a problem with them having an Application Store, probably not. And if they did what else could Amazon call it. If not, well what's wrong with App Store since it is just a shortened version of Application Store.
    Agree with you.
    Just a photo, it havs nothing to do with the infringement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

What if congress were to limit publicly traded companies to say... 100 lawsuits a year. Would that finally end this insanity??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    What if congress were to limit publicly traded companies to say... 100 lawsuits a year. Would that finally end this insanity??
    Big companies would just create small companies to hold patents and sue other companies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    +1, when I hear android market I think android!

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    That's not the same... "Android market" actually refers directly to Android, because it's in the name. "App" and "Store" are neither trademarked or unique :/ They've been popularized, but that's it really. Maybe Rebecca Black should get the word "Friday" trademarked because she made that "hit" song.

Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    The only thing Apple loves more than its users is litigation. This is a frivolous law suit and Apple will not
    get thier way.
    You forgot money and market domination. Apple's legal team are evidently bored and looking for someone to piss off while they wait for their next release.

---

Now, I declare that regardless of their common meaning, the words "shoe store" do not denote a store for shoes.

Go away Apple, Christ.
    Last edited by dale1v; 05-21-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Banned
    Thanks

Definitely.

Apple DEFINED THE NAME. there was no such thing as an app, b4 Steve Jobs let that word loose at the original iPhone conference.

What resulted was a factor that defined the phone, and other phones as well. The amount of apps in app stores has caused platforms to fail, like Palm.

Android is excelling because there AppStore has a huge growth rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ NiveK View Post
    if only these guys sold condoms
    0_0

Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    get thier way.
    When you have the best legal team on Earth, and you want something your way... They aren't there for nothing, lol

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    That would probably violate the constitution, dumb$&@#. do u think b4 u talk???
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 05-21-2011 at 03:56 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"App Store". The term "app" could also be short for "apple". In Apple's app store they sell more than just applications. Thinking.....?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    That would probably violate the constitution, dumb$&@#. do u think b4 u talk???
    Yay Happy Day, I just reported you for Insulting another member. Your gonna get perma-banned this time.

You just got off a ban too, you must have a hard time learning from your past experiences.

Farewell and Good Riddance "TheJailBreakGenius"
    Last edited by Rob2G; 05-21-2011 at 04:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC]