Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lawmakers Encourage New Privacy Laws That Could Impact Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Lawmakers Encourage New Privacy Laws That Could Impact Apple

It now looks like those recent senate hearings on mobile security and consumer privacy may have actually served a bigger purpose than your run-of-the-mill political barking that comes without any real biting. On Friday, two members of a prominent US Senate subcommittee put forth their recommendations to Congress for new laws that could impact the likes of Apple, Google, and RIM.

Senators John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) are encouraging a bill that would regulate consumer privacy across smartphones and the web. The lawmakers contend that the regulation is essential to impede "the practice of gathering and sharing personal user data."

Apple Inc., Google Inc. and Facebook Inc., along with the thousands of developers who make applications for their platforms, are facing increasing scrutiny from Congress over how they collect, use and store customer information, including data gathered from smartphones and other wireless devices.
    “These devices are not really phones–they are miniature computers,” said Rockefeller, chair of the Commerce Committee. “The mobile marketplace is so new, and technology is moving so quickly that many consumers do not understand the privacy implications of their actions.” Bloomberg News reports that Rockefeller is still search for concrete evidence that Apple and Google are truly in compliance with online privacy laws - particularly those that pertain to children.

Yesterday, Catherine Novelli, vice president of worldwide government affairs for Apple, told her questioners in Capitol Hill that Apple “doesn’t knowingly collect any information on children under age 13.”

Source: Bloomberg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (05-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

“doesn’t knowingly collect any information on children under age 13.” but for everyone else, not so much.

Waa-waa. Bunch of whining babies. Conspiracy theorists who shouldn't care unless they are up to illegal activities. This whole thing is blown out of proportion by hippie liberals and their exaggerated fear of "big brother". Morons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (05-20-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by indie562 View Post
    “doesn’t knowingly collect any information on children under age 13.” but for everyone else, not so much.
    Aka, the do collect info. They don't care about age, they just collect it anyway.

Who cares anyway. The only reason this affects me is because when the world ends the govt can find and rescue me. :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    Aka, the do collect info. They don't care about age, they just collect it anyway.

Who cares anyway. The only reason this affects me is because when the world ends the govt can find and rescue me. :P
    That's a bit like puttin yer bright red undies on before the plane crashes.

Thanks

I think they should be more focused on search and user algorithms. Now THAT is doing damage and is actually poised to undo the good that the web brings us. When software DECIDES what hits your news feed or what a search query's results are, it isn't so free as far as access to info goes, is it?
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Waa-waa. Bunch of whining babies. Conspiracy theorists who shouldn't care unless they are up to illegal activities. This whole thing is blown out of proportion by hippie liberals and their exaggerated fear of "big brother". Morons.
    +1. Morons ruin and exaggerate everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Wow, this is the least educated response and most diarrhea of the mouth I've seen on MMI in a while. It has nothing to do with conspiracy or being involved with illegal activities. If you believe that then you really have no clue.

So basically you think any one/thing should be able to compile any of your info without your consent and use it in any way THEY see fit.... again without your consent. Cool.
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-21-2011 at 04:27 AM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

test