Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Groundbreaking Voice Based Social Network Parlor.fm Hits iPhone Next Week

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Groundbreaking Voice Based Social Network Parlor.fm Hits iPhone Next Week

The countdown clock on the parlor.fm website underscores the anticipation felt by many ahead of the voice-based social network's long-awaited debut, now set for launch at TechCrunch Disrupt (May 23rd-25th) at Pier 94 in New York City. After a successful stint in beta testing, the time has finally come for the vast public to see what all the buzz is about.

On tap for Monday will be a formal showcase of Parlor’s groundbreaking mobile platform and new, streamlined design, which will be available at no charge via Android and, of course, the iPhone. The makers, however, say that native apps for BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices are also on the horizon.

So what exactly is Parlor.fm all about? According to company chief Joel Schwartz, Parlor is "a unique, voice-based social network featuring an array of interconnected mini-apps to suit a variety of business and social purposes. We’re integrating the quality and intimacy of voice communication with the high-speed connectivity of the digital world. In short, we're trying to put the voice back into social and business networking.”

Although the casual social elements of the platform are notable and sufficient to make Parlor.fm a success in and of itself, the potential for practical use in business and corporate settings is particularly of interest to many. Parlor’s Conference application, for example, delivers free group calling for up to 20 users at a time - yes, 20! It's also a snap to use. No dial-in dilemmas or extraneous passcodes that get lost, transposed, or incorrectly entered. A Parlor user, the company says, can simply select a group of callers to invite, and each will receive a simple, "PIN-less" access number for the call.

From something as simple as linking folks with common interests in chat rooms to a more serious application such as making a company's quarterly earnings call more seamless, Parlor.fm is definitely worth checking out for no shortage of reasons. So if you're interested and want to reserve your Parlor username (or sign up for the Parlor email list), click here.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-18-2011 at 12:22 PM.

"Groundbreaking voice based social network"
    You mean, phones? You do realize that is what you're using this app on right? A phone. So this is a phone app for your phone. Po mo. Totally.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to epignosis567 For This Useful Post:

mobyguy77 (05-19-2011)

iPhone in the image looks a little fat

Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,248 Posts

Sounds kinda like an extension of HeyTell

You mean I can use my phone to talk to other people now!?!?!

The future is truly now!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:

mobyguy77 (05-19-2011), ronfin44 (05-19-2011)

Default Parlor
    This actually seems really cool. I'd love to ******** with strangers without having to share my phone number. Seems like a great way to battle boredom, when you feel the need to just talk to somebody.

I'm excited. Seems like it will have a lot of cool features, like chats based on interest...its a good way to meet people into the same stuff as you. I'll try it out for sure

Also, I heard there will a conference call feature where you can have 20 people on one call. I could use that at work for sure.
    Last edited by jacksyooneo; 05-18-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Sounds kinda like an extension of HeyTell
    It does sound like HeyTell, which I thoroughly enjoy. I guess I'm not seeing anything new with this except that maybe they've gathered all these social ways of communicating and put them into one app.

Other than the two shills above does anyone think this will take off? Chat rooms with a bunch of people talking at once over VOIP (I assume) . I don't like conference calls in business as it is.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Give it to try....

give the guys a break, you havent even seen it yet. i'm actually intrigued by the what they did. voice is a very legitimate communication medium, and it's been insufficiently used yet in the social arena. good thinking out of the box, if youre asking me...

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timstanley View Post
    iPhone in the image looks a little fat
    That's not very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
    "Groundbreaking voice based social network"
    You mean, phones? You do realize that is what you're using this app on right? A phone. So this is a phone app for your phone. Po mo. Totally.

Its probably closer to the old party lines they used to have running back in the day. Telephone "chat rooms", basically.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

test