+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhones, iPads May Soon Replace the Doctor's Waiting Room

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPhones, iPads May Soon Replace the Doctor's Waiting Room

A visit to the doctor is about to become a digital experience. And it wouldn't be possible to the extent you're likely to experience without the dawn of Apple's iDevices. The mHealth industry is not only booming, it's effectively poised to change the way we receive healthcare.

Later this summer, healthcare company Teladoc will release new iPhone and iPad apps that makee physician consultations possible via FaceTime video conferencing. Sound crazy? Maybe a little. But there's already a tangible demand for at-home doctor consultations via the web. During the last eight years, Teladoc has facilitated some 80,000 patient/doctor consultations, either via webcam or telephone.

According to Teladoc, the typical appointment lasts 12 minutes. Appointments are available on-demand 24/7 and can usually commence after no longer than 20 minutes in a digital waiting room of sorts. Teladoc CEO Jason Gorevic says that the forthcoming Facetime consultations will only occur with licensed physicians for the care of “routine medical issues.”

Teladoc says on its website that it "charges the credit card you provided when requesting your consultation or your billing information on file." You can request a receipt for deductibles or reimbursement, they say, and the doctor updates your HIPAA-compliant EHR based upon the consultation. "Teladoc is a qualified expense for HSA, FSA and HRA accounts," according to their website.

So will it catch on? Would you utilize a digital platform for a physician's care, especially if it meant reducing your exposure to other possibly infectious illnesses in the hospital or doctor's office? For some, this is a no-brainer. For others, it's an awkward, futuristic service that won't resonate. But the mHealth industry is banking on a rapid adoption of similar services and technologies - even those that are still too futuristic for most to embrace.

Source: Mobiledia

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

davesnothere11 (05-17-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Good idea...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I would def do this!! A routine appt with my GP is... drive 30 mins to the Dr...show up on time.. wait in the waiting room 30 mins... wait in the exam room another 30 mins after the nurse talks to me... 15 mins with the Dr... drive 30 mins back home/office. It's a huge pain in the butt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (05-17-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I think it is extremely smart
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I think it is extremely smart

To a degree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    To a degree.
    To a associate degree

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (05-17-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Speaking of smart... Make has only one "e"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

As a nurse I would of loved to have been able to "see" my pt. over a teleconference. In the Army I would typically see the same over weight army wife dragging her 5 kids along coming in to be seen for a cold that she could of taken care of by spending tree fiddy at the PX for some cold medicine. Then of course we would see her the next 5 days for each one of her kids to be seen for the same problem.

I think this is a good idea in some cases but can see a lot of Dr's being afraid to use this due to the idiotic fever in which your average dipshit American likes to sue any and every one.

Of course the line "And it wouldn't be possible to the extent you're likely to experience without the dawn of Apple's iDevices." is a total joke because teleconference has been around for a hell of a lot longer than i devices.... Mobiledia really needs to check their idiocy.
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-17-2011 at 05:37 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good idea, probably not ready for everybody. It would be great to have this service with the doctor that I have now who has seen me in person. What about insurance, what will it cost?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

To a associate degree

Master degree

Now I see that this is a great idea, because people who go to the doctor for something small can get mire sick from the other people waiting for the dr., so this would keep the risk of contamination down while still giving help for seemingly small things. But the downfall of this is the lack of thoroughness and depth in a diagnosis over video communication.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's unwise to treat medical conditions without physically seeing the patient.

What the patient thinks is a "routine medical issue" could in fact be something very serious. Likewise, a doctor is much more likely to miss critical clues if they are attempting to diagnose a patient via video feed.

An app like this will never "replace the doctor's waiting room."

It's like when the maker of the Segway said his invention would "change cities." It didn't.

Like the Segway, this is a niche concept unlikely to gain wide adoption.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Although this may not replace initial diagnosis visits, it will make follow up consultations, explanations about lab work, etc much more convenient.
    Pretty cool I think if it becomes more widely utilized.

Thanks

When technology is put to good use it makes the world a better place, not by a lot but it's something to start with.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

May be good for a quick check-up, like davesnothere11 suggested.

How is payment handled? Does your insurance company cover this?

Thanks

To a associate degree
    To AN associate degree. Aren't they teaching English in school anymore?

Anyway, I really like this idea. It wouldn't work with serious illnesses, but for things such as the common cold, it would be really nice. I.E. A patient doesn't have to get out of bed to see the doctor... They just need to have their iPhone take their vitals... Very possible by the way!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    May be good for a quick check-up, like davesnothere11 suggested.

How is payment handled? Does your insurance company cover this?
    Good have automatic bank with draw after checking in

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    To AN associate degree. Aren't they teaching English in school anymore?

Anyway, I really like this idea. It wouldn't work with serious illnesses, but for things such as the common cold, it would be really nice. I.E. A patient doesn't have to get out of bed to see the doctor... They just need to have their iPhone take their vitals... Very possible by the way!
    Lol i havent been in school for 3 years now and i have always been bad at english
    Last edited by Cowboy; 05-17-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've been waiting for this forever. Can't believe it's taken this long! Would be so easy to show a Dr. your problem area and have them send in a prescription for you without needing to be there... Next step... thermometer device that plugs into the headphone jack. Patent Pending. I want my royalties.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Huge gas saver it's a great ideal
    Apple needs to add flash to the iphone!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

This could be useful in some circumstances, it could save a lot of time for both the doctor and patient.

Thanks

Right now, im actually at the doctors office where I've been sitting in the waiting room for over an hour to be seen. If I could be working and just "wait" in a digital que, I would be far less frustrated...