Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Not Expected to Put NFC Chip in iPhone 4S

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Not Expected to Put NFC Chip in iPhone 4S

For months, we've heard rumblings about Near Field Communications (NFC) technology coming to the next generation iPhone, a development that would turn the Apple handset into a veritable e-wallet capable of executing mobile financial transactions wherever such technology is used by retailers at the point of sale.

And with fewer big bells and whistles anticipated this time around, it seems the smartest thing Apple could do with its fifth generation handset (which may be called the iPhone 4S) would be to groom the product for the future of mobile technology, which is clearly tied to NFC. That's exactly why so many analysts remained confident that this technology was destined for the next iPhone model.

Once again, however, we're hearing that this simply isn't going to happen at this time. And given how rapidly we're approaching the next-gen iPhone launch (either early summer or late summer), it's a safe bet that we would have some degree of evidence by now if NFC technology was really going to be part of the new iPhone.

On Monday, Wall Street research firm Bernstein released commentary to investors effectively confirming (from its sources) that the new iPhone will be released sans the long-awaited, much anticipated NFC chip. Bloomberg was first to report the news, which all but confirms that mobile payment support through NFC won't be calling Apple home any time soon.

Source: Business Insider

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why is this not surprising news?

Great!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm as excited for this feature as I am about voice control #sarcasm

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Darn! That would have been cool if the 4S had a NFC!

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Darn! That would have been cool if the 4S had a NFC!

Oh darn....now I have to wait an extra 8 seconds to fully complete a transaction.

This may be the worst blog on the entire Internet.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

We've seen you post this a billion times

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Oh darn....now I have to wait an extra 8 seconds to fully complete a transaction.
    It would be more of a "cool" factor than usefulness
    Last edited by iPod; 05-16-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

I wish people would look to the countries with this technology already implemented to see possible uses before they just dismiss it.
    This was one of my most wanted features for the new iPhone.
    People say the same thing about all technology that they haven't integrated into their lives yet. Computers, cell phones, voip, sms vs push email...

People don't appreciate the potential of something till it hits them over the head as useful, until someone other than themselves can imagine a way it is useful for their lives.
    Even then, they use the chicken and egg argument...

How about this, even if you can't pay for 1 thing with it, you can use those chips for a quick transfer of contact info or data without any configuring instantly by just aligning the chips and not having to worry about cases or line of sight...?

Although I'm just bitter and want my nfc/wallet/interactive iPhone now.

Quote Originally Posted by kaician View Post
    I wish people would look to the countries with this technology already implemented to see possible uses before they just dismiss it.
    Exactly. Some of these pimple faced little pricks have never been out of their basement.
    I live in Japan and would love to have this integrated into my iPhone as it is indeed in many of the Japanese phones (none of which I would ever touch with a 10 foot pool they are so uglyass).
    No more lining up to buy train / subway tickets, no more fumbling for the ticket, trying to insert it into the machine at the train/subway exit-entrance when they are hundreds of peps pushing me from behind (not that way...), could pay for my coffee, newspaper, water, etc. at the convenience store, one less card in my pocket, etc.
    Probably the only reason why I would replace my current iPhone 4 (only if it will also be jail breakable and unlockable of course).

Fine i've heard enough crush my hopes about the new iphone!!!

Awww...

Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
    Exactly. Some of these pimple faced little pricks have never been out of their basement.
    I live in Japan and would love to have this integrated into my iPhone as it is indeed in many of the Japanese phones (none of which I would ever touch with a 10 foot pool they are so uglyass).
    No more lining up to buy train / subway tickets, no more fumbling for the ticket, trying to insert it into the machine at the train/subway exit-entrance when they are hundreds of peps pushing me from behind (not that way...), could pay for my coffee, newspaper, water, etc. at the convenience store, one less card in my pocket, etc.
    Probably the only reason why I would replace my current iPhone 4 (only if it will also be jail breakable and unlockable of course).
    I live in Japan as well, and between my nimoca card(like suica/money card) and my visa(soon to be debit) card, I almost never use cash anymore. Swipe and go. With a detailed record for you to keep track of your finances without being manic.

If both of those could be easily taken care of on my phone and the records viewed from an app on my phone (instead of going to the visa website and the bus station to check) it would make my life much easier and more financially responsible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never in my life seen a store that is even set up to do this yet. Unless I haven't been paying attention, which is a good possibility. Why the rush?

If if wouldn't use it it's good to know that I have it should it become more widely available all of a sudden

PM me if u think my sigs nice

The USA seems behind the times on technology like this (chip and pin isn't even widespread over there).
    Apple's problem is that, although NFC is common in the rest of the world, there is no standard. If there was one standard for everyone it would be in there like a shot.
    The problem is, I think it's to late to standardise the ROW
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I def need something soon, it sucks that androids software is already unlocked, iPhones you have to jailbreak in order to use the software it's capable of running in the first place. Htc might just solve the problem? We will se what lies ahead in sept when the 4s is released....

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nothing but a novelty for people to show how uber-tech-savvy they are. At least if your wallet gets stolen you probably still have your phone to call and cancel your credit cards.
    Do I brag about which phone I have in this space?

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    Nothing but a novelty for people to show how uber-tech-savvy they are. At least if your wallet gets stolen you probably still have your phone to call and cancel your credit cards.
    wow...

Quote Originally Posted by kaician View Post
    wow...
    was it a moment or a moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast