+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Sets Guinness Records

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by coolguy742 No it would make best selling tablet computer. You people need to stop whining constantly. Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi Bleh, tablet, computer, what's
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    No it would make best selling tablet computer. You people need to stop whining constantly.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Bleh, tablet, computer, what's the difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what would you guys be saying if the psp had cell phone capabilities? is the computer a gaming console if it can do word processing and spreadsheets? is the ds a graphics tablet since you can draw on it? who cares if the iphone is or is not a gaming console. to outsell handhelds TAILORED for video games, is pretty impressive. leave it at that. and it isn't about the phone itself, it is about the developers. jesus christ.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    there is a HUGE difference in capabilities and potential. if all you want to do is use the internet, then not much. that is of course unless you want to play your l337 games on newgrounds.
    Last edited by kenpura; 05-15-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpura View Post
    what would you guys be saying if the psp had cell phone capabilities? is the computer a gaming console if it can do word processing and spreadsheets? is the ds a graphics tablet since you can draw on it? who cares if the iphone is or is not a gaming console. to outsell handhelds TAILORED for video games, is pretty impressive. leave it at that. and it isn't about the phone itself, it is about the developers. jesus christ.

there is a HUGE difference in capabilities and potential. if all you want to do is use the internet, then not much. that is of course unless you want to play your l337 games on newgrounds.
    Technically speaking a tablet is a computer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

that is why i didn't dismiss the tablet as a computer. i just pointed out the difference in potential

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

to outsell handhelds TAILORED for video games, is pretty impressive.
    No it's not impressive because the iPhone itself is not specifically tailored for video gaming. More people have use for a phone that provide a variety of features such as HTML web browsing, messaging, calling, and music playing than people do for a strictly gaming-only device.

Comparing iPhone sales to a gaming device sale is ridiculous. They serve two different purposes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

did you even read my post?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It's a multi-function device
    This discussion really demonstrates how much trouble some people (including Apple) have in getting their head around the concept of a multifunction device. For example this is what I use my "iPhone" for, in order of frequency:
    • Clock
    • Calendar
    • To Do
    • Music
    • Dictionary
    • Weather forecast
    • Twitter
    • Games
    • SMS
    • Telephone
    • Train timetable
    • Alarm clock
    • Web access
    • Calculator
    • Street directory
    • Photographs
    • Video

Every iPhone owner could make a similar list (with many variations in content and order). This demonstrates to me that "iPhone" is clearly a misnomer; it does a lot of other things (and in my case "Phone" barely makes the top-ten of the functions I use).

IMHO Apple should have just used the single brand "iPod" for the devices currently under the brands "iPod" and "iPhone". Note that this is the approach Apple used for the iPad (i.e., they released an iPad with 3G, not an "iPadPhone").

The corrollary to the above is that it makes perfect sense to include iPhone in sales statistics for "phones" "gaming systems", "cameras", "alarm clocks", etc., etc., because it does all those functions. The fact that is not dedicated to any of these functions is irrelevant, because it is competing directly with dedicated devices in those categories.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgmdgm View Post
    This discussion really demonstrates how much trouble some people (including Apple) have in getting their head around the concept of a multifunction device. For example this is what I use my "iPhone" for, in order of frequency:
    • Clock
    • Calendar
    • To Do
    • Music
    • Dictionary
    • Weather forecast
    • Twitter
    • Games
    • SMS
    • Telephone
    • Train timetable
    • Alarm clock
    • Web access
    • Calculator
    • Street directory
    • Photographs
    • Video

Every iPhone owner could make a similar list (with many variations in content and order). This demonstrates to me that "iPhone" is clearly a misnomer; it does a lot of other things (and in my case "Phone" barely makes the top-ten of the functions I use).

IMHO Apple should have just used the single brand "iPod" for the devices currently under the brands "iPod" and "iPhone". Note that this is the approach Apple used for the iPad (i.e., they released an iPad with 3G, not an "iPadPhone").

The corrollary to the above is that it makes perfect sense to include iPhone in sales statistics for "phones" "gaming systems", "cameras", "alarm clocks", etc., etc., because it does all those functions. The fact that is not dedicated to any of these functions is irrelevant, because it is competing directly with dedicated devices in those categories.
    best response to this thread.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

did you even read my post?
    Youre implying that a device tailored exclusively for gaming should be more popular than the iPhone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

not at all.. whatever you think i am implying is your own perception of what i was trying to say.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Somebody needs a nap!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    Point taken, but I'd buy a PC any day before I'd buy an iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Plants vs. Zombines was named the "Fastest-Selling iPhone/iPod Strategy Game."
    You mean Zombies?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ensigma View Post
    You mean Zombies?
    Wow I just noticed that.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Umm. The iPhone is not a "gaming system". Just because something has the ability to play games doesn't mean it should be classified as such. The primary functions of the iPhone are phone, Internet, and music.

I can play games on my my Motorola flip phone. Does that make it a gaming system to?
    Your motorola flip is touch screen, have the same resolution as an iPhone and accelerometer? You can play all kind of different consoles emulators in your motorola flip like iPhone too? An iPhone is a lot of things in one, including a game system.
    Last edited by javiert30; 05-15-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know that the iPhone has better games than a damn Atari. Which is a gaming system.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Umm. The iPhone is not a "gaming system". Just because something has the ability to play games doesn't mean it should be classified as such. The primary functions of the iPhone are phone, Internet, and music.

I can play games on my my Motorola flip phone. Does that make it a gaming system to?
    True. I agree but so many people do play games on their iDevices as opposed to Motorola flip phone. I don't think the iPod/iPhone should be considered a gaming device until somebody comes out with an actual controller with buttons and joysticks for it. I hate games that use virtual joysticks and buttons.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

not at all.. whatever you think i am implying is your own perception of what i was trying to say.
    Which is..........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Point taken, but I'd buy a PC any day before I'd buy an iPad

^^^^^^^Now this is the post of a true genius^^^^^^
    I applaud you.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Your motorola flip is touch screen, have the same resolution as an iPhone and accelerometer? You can play all kind of different consoles emulators in your motorola flip like iPhone too? An iPhone is a lot of things in one, including a game system.
    Wrong! Touch screens, resolution, and accelerometers don't make a phone a true gaming system. They just enhance its ability to play various types of games with greater ease. But it's still not the same experience as a true gaming system.

When you can play games like Modern Warfare 2 with anything near the ease that you can play it with on the real gaming consoles then come back and we'll talk. Try playing a complex game like that on your iPhone and it turns into a joke real fast.

Playing Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, and iShoot does not magically classify the iPhone as a "gaming system". It is just a device that has the ability to play games.

Using your fingers to constantly perform actions through the screen itself gets in the way and reduces reaction times, accuracy, and the overall experience in general.

That's about the time you'll start to miss your console.