+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Detachable Battery Case, Why Is This Just Happening

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Third Rail iPhone 4 battery case takes the familiar idea of a charging case and makes it practical. Batteries, for the most part, are removable and replaceable. Unless you're
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Detachable Battery Case, Why Is This Just Happening?

The Third Rail iPhone 4 battery case takes the familiar idea of a charging case and makes it practical.

Batteries, for the most part, are removable and replaceable. Unless you're an Apple product. The Third Rail battery case takes this novel idea and runs with it. The base case ($39.99) and the battery ($59.99) can be purchased separately or together ($89.99, you save $10 purchasing them together.) The case itself is a slim matte black case. It reminds me of brushed aluminum Apple uses if it were painted black. The 1250mAh smart battery can be attached to the case and even stacked four deep. I can't imagine that feeling to comfortable in the pocket.

All of this transferred energy passess through the "Third Rail" system, which utilizes gold rails to transfer energy and create a stackable energy hub. The ability for the batteries to charge other devices via a micro USB port puts the stackable battery ability to good use. With four batteries stacked at once, you can charge your iPhone and all your other gadgets at once. Or your friends' Android Phones, lord knows they're battery hogs.

Third Rail promises that the smart batteries are "future proof" and will be compatible with future case designs, which prevents you from having to buy new batteries every time. Also, it means a whole new case does not need to be purchased if the batteries die like in other power cases with built in battery solutions.

This simple and smart solution to power hungry mobile phones is refreshing to say the least.

Source: Third Rail
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 05-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Swanson For This Useful Post:

cheme75 (05-12-2011), reaves205 (05-12-2011), sobeniceguy2 (05-12-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    The picture isn't showing on my iPod (so sorry if this is dumb) but is there one for iPod (2g)?

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    The picture isn't showing on my iPod (so sorry if this is dumb) but is there one for iPod (2g)?
    Sadly I don't believe so. They do plan on releasing Third Rail systems for other smartphones later this year though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    I can't see the picture either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

The case doesn't add anymore bulk than it needs to. Looks like an accessory I would use. Not a fan of taking the battery pack on and off but would rather just keep it around for emergency use.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

ikkviper (05-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Whats it do?
    im probably an idiot but thats ok... so does this thing charge your iphone battery??? or is it a battery itself... and if so, how long does it last??? if it charges... how long does it take???

Green Apple
    Thanks

nice manicure
    No Sig Spam

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

One of these days they're going to come out with a smartphone/ battery that lasts through a week of web surfing, is rechargeable to 80% in 20 seconds with a stand-by time of 2 months - and we'll still slap on a charging case. lol

I just want to get to the point where you can't possibly wear out your battery in a day, no matter what programs you run. You'll wake up in the morning, run your phone to your heart's content as much as you want, then lay down to go to sleep without once worrying about battery life. Without a giant battery clipped to it.

Battery-worry is just one of those things we have to live with right now, and it sucks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-11-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a great idea for sure, being able to stack them is great if you were going on a trip or something similar
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

This product is a great idea!
    Hmm...

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

My friend got a battery case a week or so ago, but I can't see the picture so I can't tell I it's they same...

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

I wish those batteries on cartoons that last for years were real.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    One of these days they're going to come out with a smartphone/ battery that lasts through a week of web surfing, is rechargeable to 80% in 20 seconds with a stand-by time of 2 months - and we'll still slap on a charging case. lol

I just want to get to the point where you can't possibly wear out your battery in a day, no matter what programs you run. You'll wake up in the morning, run your phone to your heart's content as much as you want, then lay down to go to sleep without once worrying about battery life. Without a giant battery clipped to it.

Battery-worry is just one of those things we have to live with right now, and it sucks.
    Hopefully Apple will start the development on the lithium cell patent sooner than later. We could all appreciate an extended battery life!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't see the pic either. But longer battery life is always a must and am very thankful my iPhone 4 battery lasts me a long long time especially when u compare it to any android phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hopefully they'll develop slipcases for the 3GS, 3rd Gen touch (both still being sold as new in many stores) as well as the 4th gen Touch. I'm wondering how they'd work the iPads though (I'm guessing not and rather have them use the MicroUSB connector).

I kinda wish we had a set standard size/connector for rechargeable batteries, that would be ideal and would eventually allow for cheaper battery solutions like alkaline and LiMH. I miss the days when 9-volts or size AAA, AA, C, or D batteries were the defacto means of powering every major consumer electronic device...
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll stick with Mophie Juice Pack plus. Longer batt life than this 3rd rail that might electricute you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RC_OZ View Post
    I'll stick with Mophie Juice Pack plus. Longer batt life than this 3rd rail that might electricute you.
    i chuckled a little at that one...

i could totally see myself getting really drunk and somehow, with my bad luck, electrocute myself.
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HarlemState's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RC_OZ View Post
    Exactly, 1250mAh for 3rd rail and Mophie has 2000mAh, Thats like almost double the Life lol, but i guess 3rd is alil convenient when you wonna quickly swap batterys, but then again you have to cough up another 40 bucks on top of 90 dollars for the set = FAIL Mophie wins....and they just went on sale! for 90 bucks, go pick one up :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

Actually, there are batts that last that long and they arent that expensive, only there is a catch... If charged incorrectly, they blow up!

look up LiPo (Lithium Polimer) Battery

Thanks

mipow website has a couple of battery cases. The clone power case allows you to change out batties on the case 1500mah.So you can buy a couple of battery packs. Some ebay sellers offer a free extra battery plus charger. They also offer Maca power 2200mah power (fixed battery). There are variants on ebay from china but I think design wise mipow is the best.
    I am the Vincent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) iPhone.

When I am moody I am the Hal iPhone 9000 lol