+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidestep Data Caps With Onavo

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by fbiryujin Wow. Great to see that the ModMyI staff censors people. So much for free speech. You signed up on this site, free of charge, and agreed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    Wow. Great to see that the ModMyI staff censors people. So much for free speech.
    You signed up on this site, free of charge, and agreed to the forum rules and terms of use. You might want to review those. Freedom of Speech as defined by the Constitution of the United States of America does not apply here or to any other privately owned and operated internet forum.

Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com - About

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules

Do not insult other members. We understand about giving others a bit of a hard time and joking, but if it gets out of hand, you will be banned.

No profanity. If you aren't mature enough to express yourself without profanity, you don't belong here.

No "Rated-R." PG-13 content is allowed. Come on, kids read these forums.
    As for the article itself, it sounds like a neat idea, although I'm somewhat surprised that Apple let this into the App Store. Good for them if it works well, though. Seeing as how I'm on wi-fi for 95% of my day, my current 200MB data plan is plenty for me. I might try this if I ever go on an extended trip where I might not be around wi-fi much.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatrickGSR94 For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (05-10-2011), moon#pie (05-10-2011), PuppyPR (05-10-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    You signed up on this site, free of charge, and agreed to the forum rules and terms of use. You might want to review those. Freedom of Speech as defined by the Constitution of the United States of America does not apply here or to any other privately owned and operated internet forum.

\
    I am well aware of that. I read it when I signed up. From what I can tell the other guy wrote, it wasn't profanity for the sake of profanity. Censoring profanity used in a tasteful or clever way I have a problem with. If someone curses, just to curse, then yeah he needs a talking to.

In order to keep the thread on track, I will no longer respond to threads about my original censorship comment. PM me if you like debating it.
    -FBIRyuJin

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm what's that? I'm a boss and got my unlimited plan grandfathered over to my ip4?? Sahweet!!
    my SPOON is too big

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So this App makes changes to your Carrier settings on your mobile device and Apple approved it? This means it makes changes to Settings.app and then all other applications that use data are routed through somewhere else in addition to AT&T?

How the hell did that make it through the App Store gauntlet?

The technology sounded similar to how Opera made their browser end up on the iPhone when it came to compressing content before sending it to your device for 'faster' load times but this sounds like a whole different approach.

Either way, I'm still on Unlimited data even though I got the tethering text from AT&T last week. Waiting on a mywi 4.0 fix to hide that

Thanks
    Thanked 15,090 Times in 6,938 Posts

Please stay on topic. This is not a discussion about what kind of language is allowed on MMi. If you want to discuss that I suggest making a thread in the chit chat section.

Thanks

i have unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahah
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Thanks

Wait, did he get banned?! Hell yeah! You guys need to let me know when this stuff is about to go down!

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone tested an uninstall to verify that all settings are put back in place afterwords? I'd hate to test this, then find out it won't work AND not be able to roll back.

Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com - About

As for the article itself, it sounds like a neat idea, although I'm somewhat surprised that Apple let this into the App Store. Good for them if it works well, though. Seeing as how I'm on wi-fi for 95% of my day, my current 200MB data plan is plenty for me. I might try this if I ever go on an extended trip where I might not be around wi-fi much.
    Whoa! The entire time i was reading this i thought they were implying it was on cydia.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

I too am surprised apple approved this. It opens the settings app and installs a network profile.

However, it is halving my data usage. I can see this saving me $40/month.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    And do you get the exclusive privilege to call someone an "Idiot"?
    Everyone gets the privilege when you calling "jailbreak Genius" that. It's not really and insult with him, it's more like stating a fact.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    That's a danger we all face when we go on the internet, or out in public. We may hear things we don't want to. I once stood behind a guy at a deli talking loudly into his POS phone about how he got VD from his gf. (In graphic detail) I find it offensive to have my words censored.

Also I will not debate this, and get this thread anymore off topic. You can PM me if you want to have a censorship discussion.
    Mmmmmkkkaaaaayyyyy.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

IDK where the post went but whoever suggested turning on native backgrounding for Safari, Settings, and Onavo that worked. Now question is do we have to keep these backgrounded even native? I hope not. I keep Safari backgrounded by default but I prefer not to keep Settings and Onavo from backgrounding.

If anyone wants to test this out simply turn off the native backgrounding for Onavo and Settings. Check your stats, watch a few Mb YouTube video and then recheck your stats in like 10 minutes.

I'm off to bed or else I'd try myself. Night MMi

Thanks

I am downloading this app now, On a Side note I owe the Mod who banned "Jailbreak Genius" A Beer.
    [SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

Iphone 4 supported? Says error device unsupported when islnstalling the service?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonogasm View Post
    Iphone 4 supported? Says error device unsupported when islnstalling the service?
    I hope it is, I am trying to install it on an iPhone 4 as well.
    [SIGPIC]

Brr
    Thanks

It seems the Chinese are liking the way this routs data so they can get around the gov scrutiny.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

knowing now what this does I wouldn't be surprised if it got pulled from the app store pretty soon. get it while you can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone have success with iphone4. Maybe carrier is blocking it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    IDK where the post went but whoever suggested turning on native backgrounding for Safari, Settings, and Onavo that worked. Now question is do we have to keep these backgrounded even native? I hope not. I keep Safari backgrounded by default but I prefer not to keep Settings and Onavo from backgrounding.

If anyone wants to test this out simply turn off the native backgrounding for Onavo and Settings. Check your stats, watch a few Mb YouTube video and then recheck your stats in like 10 minutes.

I'm off to bed or else I'd try myself. Night MMi
    No, I turned native backgrounding off after setting up the app and it still works fine.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to carlbgc For This Useful Post:

LastSonOfKrypton (05-12-2011)