Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Port to 3GS and A4 Progress Report

Default Android Port to 3GS and A4 Progress Report

It has been quite sometime since word of the Android operating system being ported to the iPhone has been big news or an issue of public excitement. When Android on the iPhone originally hit the presses, everyone was on it and it was a hot topic for the entire summer of 2010. The latest release was the successful Android port to the iPhone 3G last year. The developers behind the releases who consist of the iDroid Project have been working tirelessly to continue pushing this innovation to devices past the iPhone 3G. Despite this, there has been little coverage of iDroid Project's efforts and the current status of the port development for the iPhone 3GS and A4 devices.

I spoke with Nick Pack, project leader of the iDroid Project, and asked him a few questions regarding the progress of the port and what it has taken to make it as far as it has gone. I commend Nick and his team for all their hard work and give them the best of luck as they continue to push onward until completion. This exclusive article is not only for the readers but is also dedicated to the non-stop work Nick and his team at iDroid Project has invested in completing the Android port.

JOSH: How many members are on the current team working on the 3GS and A4 Android port?
    NICK: There are presently 4 people working on the A4 & 3GS ports.

JOSH: What coding experience and expertise is required to work on the Android port?
    NICK: A strong knowledge of: C, ARM Assembler and general hardware knowledge for OpeniBoot and the kernel, Java & C knowledge for Android.

JOSH: In terms of percentage, how far along are you in the port development? Is there any current hurdles that are making the process more complicated? If so, can you elaborate?
    NICK: Both the A4 and 3GS OpeniBoot ports are somewhere in the region of 60% complete. Currently the team is working on the FTL which is one of the most complex parts of OpeniBoot, then we'll move on to the kernel. And finally after that, we'll start on libraries for Android (the radio interface layer, sensors library etc.).

JOSH: Have you been able to emulate the Android platform at all on the 3Gs or A4 yet?
    NICK: At the present time, both the OpeniBoot ports for 3GS and A4 devices aren't far enough along for there to be any userland yet. Once the bootloader is ported then kernel drivers need to be written and various userland libraries written to accompany them. The team are working on one of the most complex parts of the bootloader at the present time; the FTL and filesystem drivers. This is a painstakingly slow and complex task, but once completed, we'll be able to boot a linux kernel from the NAND flash.

JOSH: How long has the team been working on the Android port for the respective devices? Do you have any tentative ETA at this point or are you just "done when you're done?"
    NICK: Work on the A4 port started late last year, but progress was slow due to there being a lack of skilled developers on the team to work on it. In the recent few weeks, the port has accelerated drastically. The 3GS port was started a couple of months back but lessons learned from the A4 port helped to bring it inline quickly. Due to the nature of the project, it is completly impossible to estimate just how long these things take. This is mainly due to the sheer volume of reverse engineering that has to be done, but we are working with largely undocumented and uncommon hardware so it comes with the territory.

As more information and progress is released, the content regarding any aspect will hit ModMyi as soon as practical and possible. For further information regarding the iDroid Project, visit their website, browse their forums, and follow Nick Pack and the iDroid Project on Twitter.

Edit: Bluerise, one of the team members working on the port tweeted earlier today that he's been able to get a NAND read and launch OpeniBoot on his iPhone 4 and iPad 1G.

Also, I had an opportunity to speak with Bluerise on IRC and ask him to elaborate further on what this means for the progress of the project.

Source(s): Nick Pack, iDroid Project, iDroid Project - Website, Bluerise
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 05-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joshua Tucker For This Useful Post:

1955jmgs (05-16-2011), aidanski (05-11-2011), carolinamic (05-10-2011), coolguy742 (05-11-2011), JonnyBoy333 (05-11-2011), lfc_ (05-10-2011), NakedFaerie (05-11-2011), plcrules (05-11-2011)

Can't wait to see it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me korbyn8495's Avatar
    Thanks

Me either! I would really like to see this pull through

Follow me on Twitter for updates and freebie themes!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hot daug keep up the good work i didnt know this was still going lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockxz3 For This Useful Post:

Joshua Tucker (05-10-2011), L1M1T3DSA9ER (05-10-2011)

Thanks

I give props and respect to the devs involved for the insanely hard task they're doing. I can't imagine ruining the iExperience to boot Android though. If anything, you'd want iOS on an Android phone, but the Android market is so fragmented and is updated so often, I could see where that wouldn't get far. But could you imagine a Thunderbolt or an Atrix running iOS? A mobile Hackintosh!
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    I give props and respect to the devs involved for the insanely hard task they're doing. I can't imagine ruining the iExperience to boot Android though. If anything, you'd want iOS on an Android phone, but the Android market is so fragmented and is updated so often, I could see where that wouldn't get far. But could you imagine a Thunderbolt or an Atrix running iOS? A mobile Hackintosh!
    The only reason android can be ported legally is because it is open source. iOS isn't. That is also why windows phone 7 couldn't be ported to android even tho its hard it would violate the laws

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

ShredNasty (05-10-2011)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that I want to run android on my iPhone 4, but to be able to do so would be awesome! Keep up the great work guys!

Cant wait for a good stable port to the iPad so I can sever all ties to Apple and have pure google on my 1st gen iPad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kmmxracer For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (05-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

It's cool but useless at the same time. I had it on my old 3G and it suck so bad. The volume buttons were used for going back, a lot of things like wi-fi and Bluetooth weren't working correctly, and it was laggy as hell but in the end it was kinda cool to show off but not useful at all. And anyways why would you want android on your iPhone anyways, you got an iPhone instead of an android phone for a reason right?
    Last edited by Antman217; 05-10-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am really looking forward to this. I have iDroid on my 1G iPhone and its really not very functional. Yes I can make calls and yes I can move between some apps but overall its for show. The camera doesn't work, android market is not there, battery gets hot, it wants a SD card and there isn't one etc etc. I hung on to my 3GS just to see if they could take the project further.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Finally, a well written, FACTUAL, non-rumored article. Glad to see they haven't given up on the idroid. Definitely something i'll be doing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colby21 For This Useful Post:

Joshua Tucker (05-10-2011), vantheman169 (05-11-2011)

Could be useful as a way to use an iPhone with a non-unlockable baseband.

Android bearly runs stable on android devices...... Why the hell would you want it on your apple device. iOS maybe dated, but its solid as rock and the finish on the software is second to none. I had 8 android devices up to the new HTC inspire 4g, and they all have quirks that you just dont see with apple. Be happy with the best, because thats what you have.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZXMustang For This Useful Post:

h2a (05-10-2011), rickinsav (05-10-2011), ShredNasty (05-10-2011), vantheman169 (05-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it me or is Josh bringing life to MMi?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iFrosty For This Useful Post:

Colby21 (05-11-2011), vantheman169 (05-11-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the status Update. Josh you are quickly becoming my Favorite Writer on MMi.
    [SIGPIC]

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

Colby21 (05-11-2011), Joshua Tucker (05-10-2011), vantheman169 (05-11-2011)

I'll be checking this out as soon as it's ready. Just another way for me to prove that the iPhone is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Thanks for the status Update. Josh you are quickly becoming my Favorite Writer on MMi.
    I agree to that 100%! So dedicated, no offense other writers.
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it . I try my best.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joshua Tucker For This Useful Post:

Colby21 (05-11-2011), Truckerbear (05-11-2011)

Would be nice to run the best of both worlds..nice to know they're still working on it..

Would however like to see an update on Frash as well..
    No Sig Spam

Nice, can't wait to use this

This is one of the best articles I've read in some time here on MMI

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Wesss For This Useful Post:

Joshua Tucker (05-10-2011)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast