Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Executive Tells US Senate that iOS 5 will Encrypt Location Tracking Cache

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Executive Tells US Senate that iOS 5 will Encrypt Location Tracking Cache

Heavyweights from Apple, Google, and other tech giants showed up on Capitol Hill today for some grilling before a panel of US lawmakers on the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and the Law. Members of Congress are looking to probe potential privacy and security threats born of the location tracking attributes of some of today's most popular mobile operating systems, including Apple's iOS.

"I am sorry that not everyone was able to get into the room," Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., who chairs the new subcommittee, said upon the start of the hearing, where Apple vice president for software technology Bud Tribble testified. According to Tribble, not only did Apple begin the process of remedying its tracking "bug" by reducing the location tracking cache in iOS 4.3.3, but the company - as widely expected - will fully encrypt the cache with a subsequent update.

"Apple is deeply committed to protecting the privacy of our customers," said Tribble. "Apple does not track users' locations -- Apple has never done so and has no plans to do so." Tribble's reassuring comments came after a strong opening statement by Senator Franken, who clearly set the stage for what the hearing had hoped to accomplish.

"Consumers have a fundamental right to know what data is being collected about them," Franken said. "They have a right to decide whether they want to share that information, and with whom they want to share it and when. And yet reports suggest that the information on our mobile devices is not being protected in the way that it should be."

Alan Davidson, Google's director of public policy, wasn't spared from the third-degree either. In written testimony prepared ahead of today's hearing, Davidson said: "Google recognizes the particular privacy concerns that come with the collection and storage of location information. That's why we don't collect any location information -- any at all -- through our location services on Android devices unless the user specifically chooses to share this information with Google."

Source: Market Watch, Bloomberg

Thanks

Can't wait

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Can't wait
    For what?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont understand... we clearly know that Apple was tracking user's locations and could literally see a map (see attached image) of where you've been using cellular tower triangulation and also plan to still utilize the location tracking cache in the future iOS 5 update. And here, they state that "Apple does not track users' locations -- Apple has never done so and has no plans to do so." What am i missing here?
    Last edited by Eagleye; 05-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.

There's an elephant in the room and no one there talks about it!

It's there for law enforcement.

Heck; it was congress that passed laws requiring this in the late nineties if I recall correctly!!!

But now that the public "finds out" about it congress is there to enact a little dog and pony show to supposedly do something. What a crock...

Move along folks, nothing to see here
    Last edited by Brr; 05-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brr For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (05-10-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    I dont understand... we clearly know that Apple was tracking user's locations and could literally see a map (see attached image) of where you've been using cellular tower triangulation and also plan to still utilize the location tracking cache in the future iOS 5 update. And here, they state that "Apple does not track users' locations -- Apple has never done so and has no plans to do so." What am i missing here?
    Your iPhone tracks you. Apple does not. Your phone is simply recording every location it is at so that your location services will work. So yes, your phone knows where you are, where you were, and has a good idea where you will be tomorrow! But the issue is for how long your phone stores this data, and how is it protected?
    FYI you agreed to this in your iTunes agreement...

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Can't wait
    What's this??? You just wrote the first thing that came to mind so that you could get the first post?? So childish. Clearly you don't know what iOS is since the 'feature' you can't wait for is the encryption of our private location data. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post

Heck; it was congress that passed laws requiring this in the late nineties if I recall correctly!!!

But now that the public "finds out" about it congress is there to enact a little dog and pony show to supposedly do something. What a crock...

Finally!! someone who see's what this is all about. its in the telecommunications act of 1996. All cell phones store this data. Not just iphones, it just so happens that apple is the only one thats been caught by the public.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kevmac1219 For This Useful Post:

Brr (05-10-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

People miss the whole point

Your phone has it unencrypted when found out
    Apple may have fixed this with updates yet its still there encrypted,

Uh since when is encrypted safe?

Its like people have never heard of HACKERS? Apple is not able to make hack proof files.

We have heard of Jailbreak right? WHat in the heck do you think is the process? Hacking................

So these phones may or may not be secure.

I have a constitutional right to not be tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post

Well, I'd agree with you however congress doesn't as another pointed out above congress passed a law in 1996 to track you by way of your cel phone!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Yup, I agree. If some of you have yet to notice.... Look up how Michigan police are/have been downloading personal info such as email, contacts, videos, pics, previous locations, and text messages (even deleted ones) without consent. Even if you are pulled over for a "routine" traffic stop. you..... better yet, /your' phone/ is subject to search. And they can do so in about 2 minutes without you even knowing it.....

Big brother is watching!!!!

NEWS FLASH! - Your 4th amendment rights have been taken from you!

Thanks

Didn't anybody watch Southpark. When you accepted the " User Agreement " you therefor gave permission to Apple to " sow your mouth to the anal hole of another Human being " to create the worlds first " CENTIPAD ".

Thanks

Apparently your mental state. Apple wasn't tracking anyone, god i'm sick of the narrow minded/ignorant comments on this site! What's wrong with you people?

Just because your device logs your location does NOT mean someone is tracking you! my god what has society evolved to? Into a bunch of a paranoid finatics who fear their own lives more than anything and refuse to open their mind and see the real reason. It logs your location for LEGIT reasons (ex. to use Find My iPhone), not because apple wants to know how often you visit an apple store.

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    People miss the whole point

Your phone has it unencrypted when found out
    Apple may have fixed this with updates yet its still there encrypted,

Uh since when is encrypted safe?

Its like people have never heard of HACKERS? Apple is not able to make hack proof files.

We have heard of Jailbreak right? WHat in the heck do you think is the process? Hacking................

So these phones may or may not be secure.

Hackers can find your location whether you had a phone or not. So really it wouldn't matter, you're never safe! In fact, if you don't want your location to be found might as well cease to exist.
    Last edited by Co1d Night; 05-11-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: venting my anger against ignorant paranoid freaks
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Basically to track you any case of evidential proof if I'm not mistaken ?
    What's an iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

People, again. You AGREED to this! You don't get a personal digital assistant that helps you find the nearest coffee shop wherever you are without losing some privacy! And privacy is irrelevant today anyway, because on the right website I can pay $10-50 and get your SS#, your last 5 addresses, your cell phone #, and your underwear size. (oh wait, not that last one...)

I can't believe it tracked iPhone users that's out of order from apple