+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Research Finds Older Generation iDevices Still Outsell New Android Products

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although we have no confirmation of gloating going on inside the Cupertino, California corporate offices of Apple, it wouldn't be difficult to imagine that happening today on the heels of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Research Finds Older Generation iDevices Still Outsell New Android Products

Although we have no confirmation of gloating going on inside the Cupertino, California corporate offices of Apple, it wouldn't be difficult to imagine that happening today on the heels of a new report that speaks to the core strengths of the iDevice line.

Based on the research and subsequent findings of Canaccord Genuity technology analyst Michael Walkley, older-generations of Apple's most popular products - specifically, iPhones and iPads - continue to consistently outsell brand spankin' new Android devices.

"Interestingly, our April checks indicated continued strong demand for the iPhone 3GS at AT&T and iPad 1 at Verizon, as these older generation products with reduced prices often outsold new Android products," Walkley dishes. "We believe this highlights Apple's significant competitive advantage, and these older products help Apple offer a tiered pricing strategy at key channels."

Helping Apple's older products in topping newer competing products is the company's practice of significantly reducing the price of previous generation models when refreshed counterparts are introduced.

Despite the penchant of many Apple fans to buy whatever Apple begins selling as soon as they begin selling it, there remains a large market (for a wide variety of reasons) of consumers adamant in their desire to perpetually remain one-generation behind on virtually all Apple products. But, Walkley adds, "longer term, we believe Apple's ramping iOS ecosystem will lead to a stronger replacement sales cycle, and this should help drive strong longer term earnings growth."

Source: Canaccord Genuity
    Image: VentureBeat

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sheep

Thanks

I like to keep up with techno, but with apple it's near impossible even at a yearly refresh rate. As a consumer who's had every iPhone up to date (exception: white iPhone 4), I may start upgrading every other idevice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If I had a choice between a free 3GS or a free new model Android...I'd take the 3GS. Because?

1) I could easily resell it for $250*. EASILY.
    2) it's still an iPhone with the Apple app store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    Sheep
    Oh I'm a sheep because I buy a superior product? I don't follow your logic.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    Sheep
    Baaahh !! I Love Apple ...Baaaahh !!,stick your Android up your arse Tosser !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mightyducks69 For This Useful Post:

jizzy73 (05-10-2011)

Thanks

I agree but try to keep it nice and respectful. Thank you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had a 3g, 3gs and a 4 but gonna skip the 5. Apple and their yearly upgrades are too fast and too much $$ for my wallet. Plush looking at the 5 "rumors" it seems like the motorola atrix is a better buy. But heck I'm waiting off till i6 or if I get an i5 as a gift lmao...

PS last I checked at&t is offering a refurb 3gs for $0.01, and a new one for $50... thats why everyone wants it...

Thanks

I'm skipping iP5 as well.

I wouldn't really say price is the only factor to why people want a 3GS. There are free and cheap Androids too, but why not buy those? Bc the quality isn't that great for the cheap ones so wouldn't that be saying the quality of the iPhone 3GS for the price is better?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'll be getting the ip5 agree with buying a 3GS it was made to be a quality product as opposed to the cheap droid devices.

PM me if u think my sigs nice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I still have all my iPhone just waiting 4 dat 5g. GO APPLE

Thanks

I'd choose an iphone any day...i love my 3GS ^^

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the reason for this is "quality" (although the definition of quality can be very broad depending on the individual). I believe it is more updatability. You buy a cheaper android and you are almost CERTAINLY stuck with a an Android OS a few generations behind the current one (unless of course you are into rooting and custom ROMing your phones, but much like jailbreak, rooting isn't practiced by the majority of users). Consumers want updates, and the 3GS still has the most up to date iOS available. Some can't even say that about NEW TOP OF THE LINE Android devices launching today.

This is coming from a person who loves Android, and uses it daily, though I am willing to accept there are weaknesses, especially in consumer eyes.

I will say, hardware quality complaints are a load of BS, unless you are buying some un named, unbranded devices. One can get a very nice android device for FREE-$99 (we are comparing it to the 3GS, right). Off the top of my head, I am thinking the HTC Incredible on Verizon. It's a great phone that my girlfriend just replaced her 3GS with (her business paid for it, so it's basically a free phone and monthly bill).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Although your point is valid, I still think it's a question of quality. In my eyes, "quality" is in the hardware and the software as a general whole. An iPhone may not be perfect inside and out, but for a 3GS at $50 new, that's a cheap phone. And it is built of good hardware and good software. Not perfect, but great for the price.

Thanks

$50 certainly is a great price. Free is better, and in many cases, quality is the same (minus updates). That's all I am saying.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont know what research they're looking at but the latest market share numbers prove otherwise. Android now has a Commanding 35% to iOS 25% lead in market share. If the 3GS was outselling the latest Android smartphones these numbers would look a lot different. This story is obviously written by an Apple Fanboy that just can't accept the fact that Android is now the top dog! Sorry, it's just the truth.

Thanks

Another point to add is that there are cases galore for the 3GS. Not so for really any other Android device. I think one literally has more choices with JUST the 3GS than they do with all android devices combined. No joke. If you want to customize the look of your phone, 3GS is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    I dont know what research they're looking at but the latest market share numbers prove otherwise. Android now has a Commanding 35% to iOS 25% lead in market share. If the 3GS was outselling the latest Android smartphones these numbers would look a lot different. This story is obviously written by an Apple Fanboy that just can't accept the fact that Android is now the top dog! Sorry, it's just the truth.
    The 3GS is outselling any other single model of latest Android device. It isn't outselling all latest android devices in total. Tricky wording there (for a reason).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-09-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mightyducks69 View Post
    Baaahh !! I Love Apple ...Baaaahh !!,stick your Android up your arse Tosser !
    Haha! +1

Yi can get a 3GS for free on O2's 20pm!!! No sir, I would not like the 20 android, I would like some content please :-)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    EVERY knock-off in the world is running android. That wasn't the point of the story!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Another point to add is that there are cases galore for the 3GS. Not so for really any other Android device. I think one literally has more choices with JUST the 3GS than they do with all android devices combined. No joke. If you want to customize the look of your phone, 3GS is the way to go.

The 3GS is outselling any other single model of latest Android device. It isn't outselling all latest android devices in total. Tricky wording there (for a reason).
    Exactly.

AT&T sells two iOS phones, the 4 and the 3GS. They also sell ten Android phones (Motorola Flipout, Bravo, Flipside, Atrix; Samsung Captivate; LG Phoenix, Thrive; HTC Aria, Inspire; Sony Ericcson Xperia X10).

Ten to one? Well it's not particularly surprising the ten combined outsell the one.

The one, however, outsells each one of the ten phones head-to-head, which is no small feat for a phone originally released in 2009.

PS: Mr. Essany, could you please link to your source material more directly? It's quite hard to vet the legitimacy/wording of a source when your only link to it is a splash page.
    Last edited by Orby; 05-09-2011 at 03:26 PM.