+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Activation Server Down?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
All day yesterday I was trying to update my iPad (it's on 4.3.1 and 4.3.3 is current), and iTunes was telling me the activation server was down. I figured it'd
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default iTunes Activation Server Down?

All day yesterday I was trying to update my iPad (it's on 4.3.1 and 4.3.3 is current), and iTunes was telling me the activation server was down. I figured it'd fix itself and didn't post anything, but it seems the server is still experiencing issues.

None of my devices with updates available (of the three, none are currently jailbroken, these are iPads used for business) are able to update currently - I get a new error today "this device is not eligible for this build." iTunes also on the iPad screen says "this device has an update available." I do not currently have a custom gs.apple.com host set.

The activation server is down for everyone it seems - this has nothing to do with a jailbroken or not jailbroken state. This is bad because it means NO ONE can update their iDevice at all (or restore), since Apple requires a "yes" from their activation server before iTunes is allowed to restore the device. This can be avoided in the future if you have your SHSH blobs saved locally or on Cydia's server.

Apple's gs.apple.com server handles requests from iTunes whenever a user attempts to update their firmware. This is why we save SHSH blobs in Cydia (by setting a custom host for gs.apple.com, you can essentially "trick" iTunes into asking Cydia's activation server if the user can update to a specific firmware rather than asking Apple). This is a great reminder to make sure you've opened Cydia on your device recently to save your SHSH blobs. You can also use TinyUmbrella to save them locally if you prefer (or in addition).

A quick survey of multiple users in my open IRC boxes shows none of them could update their various devices either using Apple's default activation server. Are you guys able to do so?

UPDATE: The server seems to have come back online shortly after this story was posted. I am now able to update the iPad, after roughly 24 hours of not being able to. This still raises questions about requiring a web connection and a valid working server to restore a device.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

mefistos (05-06-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wish i could help you but i havent updated my ipad2 im still on 4.3.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

I updated my i4 to 4.3.3 earlier today without any issues. Dont own an ipad but i would assume it is the same activation server.
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

Thanks
    I don't think it is down. What do you use the iPads for (regarding business)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanski View Post
    I don't think it is down. What do you use the iPads for (regarding business)
    Mobile credit card processors using Square.app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it would be why my iPhone couldnt be activated and why I had no service after updating to 4.3.3..

Thanks

Updated today with no issues. Could be the article writer has the server blocked in their host file from using TinyUmbrella and needs to remove the entry before activating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The server was back to on line @ 9:30AM today

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to didithu For This Useful Post:

aidanski (05-06-2011), Kyle Matthews (05-06-2011)

Thanks

I had no problem restoring to 4.3.3 on my iphone 4 and activating with my att gophone sim. 10:48 am MST.

I had no problem restoring a second iphone 4 to 4.3.3 and activating at 12:48 pm MST.

I had no problem restoring an ipad 1 to 4.3.3 and activating at 2:13 pm MST.
    Last edited by exNavy; 05-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Hmm...

Thanks

I got stuck trying to update a jailbroken iPhone 4 (Verizon) and a 4th Gen iPod touch. Stopped with 1% to go. Sat for hours. Unplugged and stuck in DFU mode. Even using tiny umbrella to exit revovery didn't work as there was no firmware installed. Had to go to Apple and they replace them but asked me to bring in my iMac to check for corrupt files loading from iTunes. Says that when updating new firmware, it will stop when finding something changed from an earlier firmware. Asked multiple times about a jailbreak OS on them. Kept to my guns and told them no. Not sure if that helps but it was a crappy experience. I had to remove all jailbreak tools and info from my iMac so they can look it over. They told me no replacements again until I had my iMac serviced.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

I just tried to update and got the same message.

Thanks

every time i have this issue all i do is go to the finder on to click go>go to folder>/etc/>find the host file, move it to your desktop and edit the host file by adding (#) to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com so it looks like this (#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com). place it back in the etc folder then authenticate and confirm, then try to restore. and that's it. no extra tools but your itunes and your mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem earlier today.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm getting this error today (still happening now). I already downloaded the 4.3.3 firmware, but I can't hit the restore button OR the update button without getting this error.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iTunes Activation Server Down?-ipod.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icefall5 View Post

I'm getting this error today (still happening now). I already downloaded the 4.3.3 firmware, but I can't hit the restore button OR the update button without getting this error.
    delete all lines from ur hosts file.. turn off and on iTunes... it worked for me

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    Updated today with no issues. Could be the article writer has the server blocked in their host file from using TinyUmbrella and needs to remove the entry before activating.
    Quote Originally Posted by el diablo View Post
    every time i have this issue all i do is go to the finder on to click go>go to folder>/etc/>find the host file, move it to your desktop and edit the host file by adding (#) to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com so it looks like this (#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com). place it back in the etc folder then authenticate and confirm, then try to restore. and that's it. no extra tools but your itunes and your mac
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistos View Post
    delete all lines from ur hosts file.. turn off and on iTunes... it worked for me
    Sure, this is only if you had that custom hosts location set for gs.apple.com. I did not, nor did the testers - meaning the actual Apple activation server was down.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazing how many of these muppets didn't even read the article.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Amazing how many of these muppets didn't even read the article.
    I have totally agree with you there lol

Thanks

There are actually two servers that serve SHSH blobs from Apple...

gs-eg.apple.com (17.112.176.11) and gs-nwk.apple.com (17.151.36.30), each with a different Level 3 server providing different routes.

If one doesn't work (use a traceroute or ping to determine which one you're pointed at), set your hosts to the other. gs.apple.com is just a Akamai DNS redirect to the "better" server based on location and BGP routing tables.

OT: I have yet to bake my 4.3.3 CFW yet (and I won't do so until TU is updated for 4.3.3), but I'm hearing about 50/50 on people who have succeeded with 4.3.3 restores today versus those who are having trouble.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    ...This still raises questions about requiring a web connection and a valid working server to restore a device. [/B]
    ^^ The #1 example in which 'Apple has gone too far!' ^^

Do you know of any other device (computer/phone/electronic) that 'REQUIRES' an active internet at first run, or to load the default software? #2 example where 'Apple has gone too far? Do you know of any other device (^^^) that is unable to load the original shipped version?

iPhones are 95% computer and 5% phone. iPads are 100% computer. We should expect, we should demand they be treated like any other computer.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! I'm being squeeky today