+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Shopping Around for Improved iPhone Ambient Light Sensors

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is said to be displeased with the present light sensor found in the iPhone 4. As a result, the company is believed to be actively shopping for a new
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Shopping Around for Improved iPhone Ambient Light Sensors

Apple is said to be displeased with the present light sensor found in the iPhone 4. As a result, the company is believed to be actively shopping for a new component supplier for the part in question. At this time, it isn't clear if a deal could be reached to deliver a higher-caliber sensor in the iPhone 5 before the product launch is scheduled. But it looks like the component upgrade is, indeed, coming.

According to DigiTimes, Capella Microsystems is now in talks with Apple to potentially provided a better quality ambient light sensor for future hardware upgrades. Capella, notes the report, currently ships better than one million ambient-light sensors to HTC on a monthly basis.

Capella... has reportedly delivered its products to Apple for verification as the ambient-light sensors currently used by the iPhone 4 have been criticized for some problems.
    For Capella, working with Apple would be a tremendous boon for the company - and at an ideal time. Capella's shares, which are listed on Taiwan's OTC market, "suffered a major setback recently as sentiment for the stock was blunted by its decreased first-quarter gross margin," the report adds.

The same investigation noted that Apple is also widely expected to use iML's programmable Gamma buffers for the iPad. iML, which is headquartered in the US but maintains production facilities in Asia, "has seen the penetration rate of its programmable Gamma buffers growing in Taiwan and Korea" and clearly has Apple's attention for the time being.

Source: DigiTimes

Thanks

That will be nice,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

This is why I hope that Apple embraces themes. Us themers could become international sensations while Apple takes a cut of the profits. Win-win!

Thanks

What is the ambient light sensor for?
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks

The ambient light sensor is for adjusting your screen brightness in various lighting scenarios in order to help improve your battery life. It is also used, I believe, to turn your screen completely off when it's up against your face when you're talking on the phone, but that may be a completely different sensor all together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TsukiakariUsagi For This Useful Post:

truenorth (05-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@truenorth the ambient light sensor is used to adjust the iPhone's display brightness according to the amount of light that the sensor can detect, in order to save battery life and make the display comfortable to the eye.
    It is located next to the iPhone's top speaker.

@TsukiakariUsagi The proximity sensor is the one responsible for turning off the iPhone's screen during calls or when needed.
    I hope this helps
    Last edited by gobol; 05-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an HP 24" 1080p monitor with built in light sensor. It works perfectly. Just put that in.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    I have an HP 24" 1080p monitor with built in light sensor. It works perfectly. Just put that in.
    You know how big or small it is?

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Always nice to see apple improving their products

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

it's that different with ambeien ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

This is much need hopefully they did a good one
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I guess Apple finally listened to my complaint about the sensor NOT working (adjusting the screen brightness automatically like it's designed to do!) The feature has never worked right on any iPhone built to date. Indeed an embarrassement to Apple, although I was hoping that a software update could fix the problem. This means I have to buy a new phone...blah!

Also proximity sensor has been fixed for the most part however my mute button keeps getting activated 9 out of 10 times, people end up hanging up on me because they think the call dropped...it really pisses me off!
    "Don't hold it like that!"

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This is why I hope that Apple embraces themes. Us themers could become international sensations while Apple takes a cut of the profits. Win-win!
    That's what I always thought. Apple would have their own brand new income just from themes alone. It would kill every phone off the market if apple joined I'n. I'm sure Steve knows that too

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Yeh what he said! Lol, but really I think it would be amazing if Apple at least embraced themeing and integrated themes into the app store

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't even use this feature anyway. Manual or bust.

... And by manual, I mean tweaked so that the brightness bar is in the app switcher. None of that settings crap.
    Last edited by TheDirtyDiddler; 05-05-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    I've never had a problem with the brightness adjustments it aways seems to get it right on my 3GS. (Unrelated: the picture for this article is the verizon ip4 for once.)
    Last edited by aidanski; 05-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.

mm8
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Well the proximity sensor does not work when I don't shave for a week...screen does not turn off...I know we leave in a modern society BUT iphone is sold all over the world, Apple should have taken this into account...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

About time!! Apple need to change the ambient light sensor, when comparing to other phone brands the iPhone sensor is not as good as expectations. Although Apple has tried to fix the als bugs in previous firmware but there's still problem with it especially when you are using lockinfo while recieving call the panel still drop down when your ear touches the phone.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

Thanks, Tsukia. Thanks button clicked.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    I don't even use this feature anyway. Manual or bust.

... And by manual, I mean tweaked so that the brightness bar is in the app switcher. None of that settings crap.
    Amen... I keep my brightness on full unless I'm streaming music from DI.FM in my car at night in my custom made iPhone Dash Holder, then I turn it down to like 10-20% because full brightness, at night, not in a big city... it's really bright.

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Thanks, Tsukia. Thanks button clicked.
    No problem, glad I could actually be a little but more useful for once
    Last edited by TsukiakariUsagi; 05-06-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost