+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Paper iPhone' to Debut Next Week at the Computer Human Interaction Conference

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Get ready for what could be a look into the future of smartphones - a distant look, that is. Next week at the Association for Computing Machinery's Computer Human Interaction
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default 'Paper iPhone' to Debut Next Week at the Computer Human Interaction Conference

Get ready for what could be a look into the future of smartphones - a distant look, that is. Next week at the Association for Computing Machinery's Computer Human Interaction conference in Vancouver, a remarkable prototype for what's been dubbed a "paper iPhone" will be demonstrated by its creator Roel Vertegaal, the director of Queen's University Human Media Lab.

According to published reports ahead of the formal May 10th unveiling of the PaperPhone - its actual name - the device is a
    "pocket-sized computer as thin and flexible as a sheet of paper is." Although a lone prototype of the smartphone presently exists, the ingenious researchers behind the invention say the smartphone could "revolutionize the way we interact with computers."

Then again, if you think Apple products are sensitive to water damage now, just imagine the problems this little beauty would have. Nonetheless, the device in question "is a flexible version of e-ink, the digital ink screen found in e-readers such as the Amazon Kindle." So advanced is the design, however, that it may take another five to ten years before a company - possibly Apple - could introduce it to the mass market.

"This computer looks, feels and operates like a small sheet of interactive paper,” said Vertegaal. “You interact with it by bending it into a cell phone, flipping the corner to turn pages, or writing on it with a pen." Incredibly, a brief demo reel of the prototype already exists. To better understand the (possible) future of flexible smartphones, check out the clip posted above.

Source: MSNBC
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-05-2011 at 04:38 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No way!!! Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ahh yes, why would I want to scroll down on my device with the flick of a finger when I could bend the corner???

Cool technology to show off in a lab, but practically it seems like a step backwards if anything.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pavlov For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (05-05-2011), lfc_ (05-05-2011), Shanks12 (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

I hope this will be in the iPhone 7!

Thanks

Boy, gaming would be tough

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
    Ahh yes, why would I want to scroll down on my device with the flick of a finger when I could bend the corner???

Cool technology to show off in a lab, but practically it seems like a step backwards if anything.
    This.

I cant imagine any real world use for that. Looks cool, but that's about it.

Thanks

I wrote about this 2 months ago!

Banned
    Thanks

If, like in 5 years, this is implemented in the iPhone, Steve will roll over in his bed/grave and scream for all he's worth.

Edit: What is the point of a phone with 3 buttons, that "bends" to ur will.

Thanks

More like the iPhone 18 haha! Way too soon for the public :]

Looks like some sweet technology...just not ready for public use yet. Thin is good...too thin is bad haha!
    Last edited by bigboyz; 05-05-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Havent we already had April Fools this year??

Thanks

Interesting concept, but this is a step backwards from touch screens. Simply touching what you want is so intuitive, why in the world would you want to take the time to program different folding gestures to customize your phone?

As is usually the case with technological innovations, they're just playing with possibilities now. It may turn out that after years of tweaks and research this type of technology will be used in phones, but I imagine it will be nothing like how it is used in this clip.

*EDIT: Something else about this is that you need both hands to fold the device. There would have to be another option for use in the car.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

this does not interest me; especially the video. we saw the first 5 times that it can bend. we dont need a full minute more of the same thing over and over.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The screen is e-ink, and would server no purpose in a phone at this present time. slow refresh rates poor colour and not readable in the dark! If however they managed to use the new philips paper lcd and include touch capabilities then sign me up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I'm a little underwhelmed by that video. BUT, maybe it's an older prototype?

I've just seen sooooo many concepts of bendy computers, and none of them seem practical/ ready for commercial production.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

damn when I first saw this before I clicked the video I was thinking it was some kind of armband phone that you could strap on. now I am even less impressed because it isn't technically "flexible" in the sense that the whole phone isn't because you obviously can't bend the battery.

when will we have phones with HD resolution yet can be rolled up or folded up like a piece of paper to fit in our pocket?

is "e-ink" a new way to describe a really really crappy display?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

No thanks. Dont want a phone that bends. Sorry.

Thanks

Cool... till I accidentally sit on that and crease it; then it's perpetually clicking.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Not sure how i feel about it
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Watched the video. Seems like more of a hassle using this than an iPhone.... The whole bending the edges seemed really stupid. Also it wasn t accurate when he bent the edges. Sometimes it wouldn't even do anything so he had to do it again. My verdict: step backwards!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Wouldn't it look stupid if everyone out shopping whips out their phone and starts bending the corner?

I dunno. I wouldn't want it. Id rather have a touchscreen.