Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Joins Apple in Mobile Tracking Scandal

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google Joins Apple in Mobile Tracking Scandal

Google has formally joined Apple on the list of tech giants involved in mobile tracking scandals. Following weeks of controversy stemming from the recent discovery that Apple's iOS tracks user location information, on Tuesday Google joined the party as South Korean police raided Google's Seoul offices. The raid was promoted by concern and accompanying reports that Google is collecting sensitive user information without informed consent from customers.

According to Reuters, South Korean police have been snooping around Google's AdMob advertising division and the findings lead to the sudden and surprising search. "We suspect AdMob collected personal location information without consent or approval from the Korean Communication Commission," an official with the South Korean police stated. For now, Google will only confirm that the raid did, indeed, happen. No comment from the company other than to express Google's cooperation with any subsequent investigation.

"Every technology has a flip side. Location-based services benefit customers by helping them find nearby restaurants, gas stations and other places with their smartphones," Kim Kwang-jo, a computer science professor at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, tells Reuters. "But it could potentially violate consumer privacy. There are loopholes in location-based services, and companies should get consent from customers to collect location data."

Yesterday, we reported that Apple is preparing a remedy for the iOS tracking bug and will release iOS 4.3.3 in the coming weeks to hopefully end this saga once and for all. For the time being, however, it isn't clear what - of anything - Google has potentially done wrong or how the search and mobile giant will remedy any discovered user privacy violations.

Source: Reuters

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not at all surprised. I'm glad Google is taking a hit too, though. My Droid friends were acting pretty crappy lately

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lets see what they get from the raid.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Holy shite! So Apple isn't the only evil mega-corporation?! Trololol

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess they arent the only one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's funny cuz android ask if it can track your locations as soon as you open the box and start the phone for the first time

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jees Google will copy anything Apple does huh

Not surprised in the slightest.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Google tracked you anyway even if you decline the initial tracking question.
    Hear my sporadic ramblings: @liquidzoo on Twitter

OMG with this again?

Like one user already said, Android phones ask you if they can obtain sensitive information from your use and location. Last time i checked, that's called "informed consent."

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I am glad that Apple is not the only as_hole on this situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

anyone with little snitch knows what google collects. no surprises, as some of you only know the smallest bit of it all.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    [IMG]Yesterday, we reported that Apple is preparing a remedy for the iOS tracking bug and will release iOS 4.3.3
    Really? It isn't a bug just because apple says it is. So maybe call it what it really is, a bs story apple gave every one and not a "bug".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rkswat For This Useful Post:

Taranis17 (05-03-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Anybody see what evidance Korean Government ceased? No, but they are guilty.
    I saw what info iPhone collected on my phone, yet I am over reacting and Apple is not collecting data eventhough it was sent to Apple...

I find it funny that when Google "may have" collected info, Google is obviously guilty without seeing the proof. But when Apple did it and we saw the proof, replies is all kinds of excuse for Apple eventhough data trail ends at Apple.
    Last edited by unison999; 05-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.

God daeemmmmm, Bin Laden is dead because hi have an iPhone lol, or a Android?

I find it funny how when they found about this with the iPhone it was on all news stations but when they release it for google it's only on websites. Hummm :/

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I've always thought Google to be sketchier than Apple, even though I use products and services from both companies. I can't help but feel like Google would have a more malicious intent with this than Apple did. Apple wants to control the tech world, Google wants to control PEOPLE.

Thanks

lol
    for me, this is old news, because my Russian hacker buddies discovered that g00gl3 has been tracking us by our MAC addys!
    How 'bout that!

Edit:
    Does any one how I can spoof or edit my MAC on my iphone 4 (3.2.1) without SpoofMAC?
    Cause SpoofMAC aint working for some reason... :-\
    Last edited by sk8ertim; 05-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

No one should be surprised. It's just Apple is big news because of their spot light whit their success. Microsoft was Apple is now. And who knows the next giant to make a comeback will be the next. Besides anything that accesses the Internet is trackable. One foot of fiber can store millions of info. Anyone remember the telephone fiber issue in theearly 90s.

Google always copies Apple, the good and the bad
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Lmao@ this being a Scandal. It's not a scandal. People just need to read teh fine Print. How's this any different then when u Use Mobile Me to find your iPhone? lol I mean come on.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast