+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Smuggle Truck Gets Raided at Border

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by SwatPac My parents where born in Colombia. They worked very hard and managed to become citizens of this country. My brother and sister, as well as myself
...
  1. #41
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    B7R
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    My parents where born in Colombia. They worked very hard and managed to become citizens of this country. My brother and sister, as well as myself where all born in New York. If my parents could come here legally, why can't others? I don't like illegal aliens because they are potentially untrackable criminals. All you peace lovers need to realize that they are breaking the law of a country they don't belong to, and putting us all in the same danger the law was put there to protect us from in the first place. I dont intend to offend anybody, but this is my whole-hearted opinion on the matter.
    How did your parents come to the US in the first place to become citizens? It doesn't matter if it's an illegal or legal person, criminals will still exist. So the whole part about being "potentially untrackable criminals" is just plain dumb.

  2. #42
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    30,242
    Thanks
    3,653
    Thanked 9,515 Times in 5,842 Posts

    Great thread, it did what it was intended to do, make you think and draw debate.

    one1: I'll buy it if they make the people scream "Arriba!" when they fly out of the back of the truck.
    lmao


    Stay calm guys, no bashing please, lets see where this goes.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    I always find it somewhat funny and hippocratic whenever someone talks smack about illegal immigration, because everyone who is "American" is actually a decedent of someone who immigrated with no legal agreement with the native Americans so they were considered illegal too.
    my ancestors were brought here by force so no, NOT all of us came here illegally.

    the bottom line is, we are a Country with a porous border., if someone can sneak in just to find a job, someone else can sneak in to sell drugs on our streets or detonate a nuclear bomb in our cities.

  4. #44
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    LOL! you ppl are reading WAY too much into this "game". You guys are getting well off topic here. At the end of the day it's just a game. A fun light hearted game! Come on FFS!

  5. #45
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Debate is great! That's the fun part. Getting angry is not fun. Unrestrained bigotry in not appropriate. Reasoned discourse is the way to go.

    Coolguy742: Yes, I teach Social Sciences (US History, World History, American Government, Writing). I live and work on the (Pacific) edge of Los Angeles, so am in and among a largely Hispanic population. Many of my students' parents are migrant workers, and many of my students work in the fields when school is not in session (including one-day school holidays). For many of them, the fields are their future. I take the subject of immigration (legal or not) seriously because I don't like scapegoating. We all come from immigrant stock (even the Indians came here from Asia), so no one has the right to claim ownership or superiority. As to America being different if Europeans had been allowed to die off when they first arrived (the locals helped the English survive the first few years), well, we will never know. There were many very advanced tribes, who knows what they might have done. It would be different, of that I am sure. But it's not, and the least we can do is not mock them. The Hispanics in the game are Mestizos, a combination of natives (Indians) and Spanish and/or Portuguese.

    Oh, and by the way, the U.S. government now identifies Hispanics as "White" on government forms. Which, amusingly enough, bothers said Hispanics.

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    my ancestors were brought here by force so no, NOT all of us came here illegally.

    the bottom line is, we are a Country with a porous border., if someone can sneak in just to find a job, someone else can sneak in to sell drugs on our streets or detonate a nuclear bomb in our cities.
    Too true, one group of us did not come here looking for a better life. Point taken. However, you were not invited in by the rightful owners, you were brought here by the Spanish or Portuguese, or the English who learned the slave trade from them. They were already the takers of the land. So I would logically say that you were brought here illegally (albeit against your will).

    As to a porous border, I agree. However, while I agree with your point re terrorists, the border in Canada is wide open. Why aren't we building a wall up there?

    As to drugs, sneaking in to sell drugs? We've got our own drug dealers. Now, of course many of THEM buy the drugs outside of our border, or buy them once they cross over. However, like farmers wanting laborers, drug users want drugs. It's our market, we created it. If Americans didn't WANT the drugs, no one could or would sell them here.
    Last edited by mr117; 04-30-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Senior

  6. #46

  7. #47
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    EXACTLY!! Or maybe we should feel sorry for the poor, poor illegals who can't make the entire journey to the country and are unable to experience the American dream. Oh-no!!! What ever shall we do?
    You do realise your country is made up of more than 90% mixed nationalities?
    and that If you yourself go back 2-3 generations, you'll end up in England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Poland, Russia, Italy, Spain, Portugal or some other place, unless of course your a Native American, which I find unlikely

    Your grandfather, or great grandfather, was more than likely an immigrant... or and "illegal" and they went to your country, which is an amazing place, for a new life.

    Mixed nationalities and opportunities is what makes your country the amazing place it is today.

    I understand you have a big problem with illegal immigrants, but don't be so ignorant about it dude :P

    Could be your children some day!

    Edit: Take a look at your current president and read his family history, while you munch into your dinner this evening.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  9. #48
    Go <*))))>< The Man of Sand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Leg1on
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    You do realise your country is made up of more than 90% mixed nationalities?
    and that If you yourself go back 2-3 generations, you'll end up in England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Poland, Russia, Italy, Spain, Portugal or some other place, unless of course your a Native American, which I find unlikely

    Your grandfather, or great grandfather, was more than likely an immigrant... or and "illegal" and they went to your country, which is an amazing place, for a new life.

    Mixed nationalities and opportunities is what makes your country the amazing place it is today.

    I understand you have a big problem with illegal immigrants, but don't be so ignorant about it dude :P

    Could be your children some day!




    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    This guy has his feet planted on the ground and his head out of the clouds. As a 4th generation American, I thank you.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Man of Sand For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  11. #49
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    "Heck, you should be glad that more civilized minds ultimately prevailed"

    Ooooh, you REALLY shouldn't have written that particular line.

    What makes you think American Indians weren't "civilized?" Their clothes? Their customs? The color of their skins? We know that all cultural groups have the same bell curve in terms of intelligence. No one group is "smarter" than any other. And "civilized" is in the eye of the beholder. The first major city in the Americas was located near present-day Mexico City. Cities in the Americas rivaled those in Europe in both beauty and services.

    They (many of them) were highly civilized. Maybe not in a way that YOU would recognize. Your ethnocentricity does not automatically make another culture less civilized than yours.

    "There was no "legality" to contend with when staking claim on a previously undiscovered continent."

    What? The indigenous peoples living here had "discovered" the continent some 40,000-60,000 years previously. WHITES from Europe hadn't discovered it, yes.

    I walk down the street and "discover" your house, break in, and steal your stuff. It's legal? I'm not sure where you learned your logic, but, no, it's not.

    As to the fact that winners write the history books, yes.

    As to "might makes right," no.

    I'm not a "bleeding heart" about Indian culture. I am a historian who understands what happened here and why. If you actually read mainstream history books (even our current school textbooks), you would see that we as a nation are coming to some sort of understanding as to what Europeans actually did when they got to the Americas.

    Illegal immigration is not bad for this country. If you enjoy eating oranges, lemons, strawberries, lettuce, other vegetables, etc., you need to understand that farmers need laborers to plant and harvest those crops. There aren't enough "legal" laborers to do (or who want to do) that labor. So farmers hire anyone who wants a job. How is that bad? The money they get paid includes social security, which they can't get, so it goes in the general fund for the rest of us. They buy goods and services with their wages. Yes, they get services as well (in education and health care), and yes, some of them break the law and we have to pay for that. But every cultural group that arrived before them was the same. We just had an attitude then of, the more the merrier. Now we "ration" entry into the U.S. But they are coming for the same reasons your ancestors came here. How is that bad? You can parrot current blather on TV or blogs, but that doesn't make it correct. Illegal immigrants are not ruining our country. WE are, by our actions, attitudes, and who we elect to represent us. America is a great country. We just have to figure out what we stand for and get back to it, or we will continue to ruin ourselves. We are 300,000,000. They are 12,000,000. Let's do the math: Ten percent of 300,000,000 is 30,000,000. If illegal immigrants number about 12,000,000, they are much less than five percent of our population. They aren't the problem. They just want to work and have a better life. We are our own problem. Let's put the blame where it belongs, not on a small group of people who are just trying to become Americans.


    Edit: "It happened nearly 100 years ago" Where did you learn history? It happened in 1911? Read your history books about where Indians were placed. Oklahoma, wasn't it? And it wasn't in 1912, either.

    "to be frank, is annoying!" Well, to you. You are reaping the benefits. If it was your land, you wouldn't be so happy about it.

    "I know some German people and they say there is no animosity between them and Jews even though only about 50 years ago the Nazis tried to wipe their race off the face of the earth, and all our ancestors did was fight a was and win!" I know some Jewish people who aren't over it. The vast majority of Jewish people aren't over it. Jewish people don't even live in Germany anymore, for obvious reasons. Your logic is boggling. Germans killed Jews. What does it matter what Germans say now about their feelings towards Jews? Ask a Jew (or an American Indian) how they feel. They weren't the aggressors. The Germans killed two out of every three Jews in the world. White americans killed 90+% of American Indians. Who cares what you, a white person, feels about all the dead Indians? Who cares what Germans feel about Jews?

    If you are going to discuss this (and, of course, this started about a fairly racist video game) at least have your facts straight and use logic that is, well, logical. You have the right to believe anything you like, you have the right to agree with someone else of like mind, but if you publish those beliefs publicly, be prepared to have your beliefs questioned by actual facts.
    An amazing post! Very well written! Actually the most interesting & intelligent post I've read on this entire site! Refreshing


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  13. #50
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    This guy has his feet planted on the ground and his head out of the clouds. As a 4th generation American, I thank you.

    Thanks brother!

    Had the absolute pleasure of working and living in the US (Pittsburgh) in 2007 for a year, and really fell in love with the fact you're a very welcoming country and you embrace culture.

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  15. #51
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    When the Irish came here (to escape the famine caused by their English masters making them grow a single product for export to England- when the rot came, there was no food for the locals to eat- the Italians and Germans and English who had arrived earlier (NOT the Indians, they were subjugated and/or dead) posted signs in their boarding houses and stores saying, "No Irish or dogs."

    This stuff has been going on for a long time.

    And I agree with the post about us all ending up the same color. We started out the same color (check out the Nat Geo video "Naked Science, The Human Family Tree") and we will hopefully end up the same color (see the movie "Bulworth" for an exposition on that). In fact, we have more in common genetically with the peoples NOT of our particular culture than we do with those of our own culture (based on the speed of genetic mutation within a culture as opposed to that of overall human genetic mutation). Yep, you (fill in the blank) folks have more in common on a genetic level with those people most NOT like you. Kind of hard to hate the other when s/he is YOU.
    Senior

  16. #52
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    When the Irish came here (to escape the famine caused by their English masters making them grow a single product for export to England- when the rot came, there was no food for the locals to eat- the Italians and Germans and English who had arrived earlier (NOT the Indians, they were subjugated and/or dead) posted signs in their boarding houses and stores saying, "No Irish or dogs."

    This stuff has been going on for a long time.

    And I agree with the post about us all ending up the same color. We started out the same color (check out the Nat Geo video "Naked Science, The Human Family Tree") and we will hopefully end up the same color (see the movie "Bulworth" for an exposition on that). In fact, we have more in common genetically with the peoples NOT of our particular culture than we do with those of our own culture (based on the speed of genetic mutation within a culture as opposed to that of overall human genetic mutation). Yep, you (fill in the blank) folks have more in common on a genetic level with those people most NOT like you. Kind of hard to hate the other when s/he is YOU.

    You need to write a book.

    haha!

    I could read your posts all day!

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  18. #53
    Go <*))))>< The Man of Sand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Leg1on
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    Thanks brother!

    Had the absolute pleasure of working and living in the US (Pittsburgh) in 2007 for a year, and really fell in love with the fact you're a very welcoming country and you embrace culture.

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Ya you really never know how much freedom you have until you ask someone from another country, someone outside looking in. My father once told me that when he asked a coworker of his that came over from the UK "what makes America different from other countries?" His response was that in the UK, if your family is successful then you will be too, if you're not then you won't usually get much farther then your other family members, but in America you can do whatever you want if you work hard enough, that you could grow up living in a box and then later in life become the fidgets man in the world. America literally is the land of dreams.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Man of Sand For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (04-30-2011)

  20. #54
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    Ya you really never know how much freedom you have until you ask someone from another country, someone outside looking in. My father once told me that when he asked a coworker of his that came over from the UK "what makes America different from other countries?" His response was that in the UK, if your family is successful then you will be too, if you're not then you won't usually get much farther then your other family members, but in America you can do whatever you want if you work hard enough, that you could grow up living in a box and then later in life become the fidgets man in the world. America literally is the land of dreams.

    A true statement.

    I'm from Ireland and on global scale, we're tiny. 5 million people. On GDP we're one of the richest countries in the world though, but it's the little guy who takes the brunt when the **** hits the fan.

    Over here, it ain't what ya know, it's who you know. You hit the nail on the head with the family thing.

    Another thing I noticed is that people in Ireland and the UK don't rally embrace the success of others.

    Don't get me wrong, 98% of my people are amazing! we're probably the friendliest people in the world and we'll leave nobody out, but when our own become successful, bitterness takes over.

    Our lifestyle here is too comfortable. People moan and moan about how other people have it better, yet said people won't take their thumbs out of their asses and so something.

    We're the only country in the world where you're more comfortable being unemployed. Our social welfare is insane.

    If you're unemployed, you automatically get €200 per WEEK, a medical card (covers everything) an a further €50 rent allowance if you live alone. We also hand out Visa's and social security numbers like tic tac's.

    Come here with no job, we'll hand you €250 per WEEK ($370.52).

    We now have over 250,000 asylum seekers/foreign nationals. We never refuse them, why?
    Because we've been there before.

    Some people have been on social welfare for 20 years, no questions asked, and people here wonder why others are successful?

    It's why I moved to Pittsburgh, to open my eyes a bit. Now I have my own iPhone repair store, and an international wholesale business.

    All because I came home from America with a pocket full of dreams.

    I'd do anything to take my business to Pittsburgh!

    Sorry for the rant :P

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  21. #55
    My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

    I like how it's 2011 and despite all the crazy SHlT going on everywhere we're still worried about offending people and being offended.

  22. #56
    Go <*))))>< The Man of Sand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Leg1on
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    289
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    A true statement.

    I'm from Ireland and on global scale, we're tiny. 5 million people. On GDP we're one of the richest countries in the world though, but it's the little guy who takes the brunt when the **** hits the fan.

    Over here, it ain't what ya know, it's who you know. You hit the nail on the head with the family thing.

    Another thing I noticed is that people in Ireland and the UK don't rally embrace the success of others.

    Don't get me wrong, 98% of my people are amazing! we're probably the friendliest people in the world and we'll leave nobody out, but when our own become successful, bitterness takes over.

    Our lifestyle here is too comfortable. People moan and moan about how other people have it better, yet said people won't take their thumbs out of their asses and so something.

    We're the only country in the world where you're more comfortable being unemployed. Our social welfare is insane.

    If you're unemployed, you automatically get €200 per WEEK, a medical card (covers everything) an a further €50 rent allowance if you live alone. We also hand out Visa's and social security numbers like tic tac's.

    Come here with no job, we'll hand you €250 per WEEK ($370.52).

    We now have over 250,000 asylum seekers/foreign nationals. We never refuse them, why?
    Because we've been there before.

    Some people have been on social welfare for 20 years, no questions asked, and people here wonder why others are successful?

    It's why I moved to Pittsburgh, to open my eyes a bit. Now I have my own iPhone repair store, and an international wholesale business.

    All because I came home from America with a pocket full of dreams.

    I'd do anything to take my business to Pittsburgh!

    Sorry for the rant :P

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Good for you! That was a great story, it made me appreciate things a lot more! And your rent wasn't long compared to others.

  23. #57
    miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    D-town Tejas
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    317
    Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    Good for you! That was a great story, it made me appreciate things a lot more! And your rent wasn't long compared to others.
    I agree!!! People here in the U.S are so used to things being the way they are, and they have been taking way too many things for granted. Great story for sure. Make your own luck!!

  24. #58
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Reading this thread has really opened up my eyes. I am legal here but I was brought illegally at a young age, so I couldn't do nothing about it. Being raised here every morning I felt defeated by the law. But now (after 20 years) I finally got a chance to live a normal life. A life that I will never take for granted! My opinion about the employment issue of today is that everyone is getting laid-off and wealthy people are taking everything, then those left with almost nothing tend to take action against "illegals".

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluprint For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (05-01-2011)

  26. #59
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's controversy but iam a immigrant and it's not cool make fun of people the just want to work here cause we pay taxes to and we never see anything back so this tread as to be erased please

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Notangel74 For This Useful Post:

    mr117 (05-01-2011)

  28. #60
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    A true statement.

    I'm from Ireland and on global scale, we're tiny. 5 million people. On GDP we're one of the richest countries in the world though, but it's the little guy who takes the brunt when the **** hits the fan.

    Over here, it ain't what ya know, it's who you know. You hit the nail on the head with the family thing.

    Another thing I noticed is that people in Ireland and the UK don't rally embrace the success of others.

    Don't get me wrong, 98% of my people are amazing! we're probably the friendliest people in the world and we'll leave nobody out, but when our own become successful, bitterness takes over.

    Our lifestyle here is too comfortable. People moan and moan about how other people have it better, yet said people won't take their thumbs out of their asses and so something.

    We're the only country in the world where you're more comfortable being unemployed. Our social welfare is insane.

    If you're unemployed, you automatically get €200 per WEEK, a medical card (covers everything) an a further €50 rent allowance if you live alone. We also hand out Visa's and social security numbers like tic tac's.

    Come here with no job, we'll hand you €250 per WEEK ($370.52).

    We now have over 250,000 asylum seekers/foreign nationals. We never refuse them, why?
    Because we've been there before.

    Some people have been on social welfare for 20 years, no questions asked, and people here wonder why others are successful?

    It's why I moved to Pittsburgh, to open my eyes a bit. Now I have my own iPhone repair store, and an international wholesale business.

    All because I came home from America with a pocket full of dreams.

    I'd do anything to take my business to Pittsburgh!

    Sorry for the rant :P

    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Errr, isn't Ireland bankrupt? LOL! you ppl aren't and never were "one of the richest countries in the world"

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts