Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google to Challenge Facetime with New Google Talk Video Chat

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Google to Challenge Facetime with New Google Talk Video Chat

Google is about to challenge Apple in an entirely new way. And although some see Google "ripping off" Apple's popular iDevice Facetime video chat service, the last time I checked Apple didn't own the very concept of video chatting. So, as a result, we may see an entirely new challenge from Android devices to kill the runaway momentum of the iPhone 4 and perhaps the next-generation model.

On Friday, the Internet search giant introduced a new feature called "Google Talk," a service destined for Android devices. "In your Google Talk friends list," Google says, "a video or voice chat button will appear next to your contacts and you can simply touch the button to connect with them."

Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video, Google notes. Speaking to the now cemented functionality of multitasking, Google is making it possible so that if you need to "check something else," the video pauses automatically so you can go back to your phone’s home screen or another app. Through it all, the audio feed will not be interrupted.

All told, users with an Android phone can engage in video chats with friends and family members on a compatible Android tablet or phone, or using Gmail with Google Talk on their PC. Incredibly, Google says users can make calls over a 3G or 4G data network or, as expected, over Wi-Fi.

To get things started, Google is giving Nexus S owners the service first. The video chat platform will arrive in the coming weeks via the Android 2.3.4 update. Additional Android 2.3+ devices will get the feature in the coming months, Google concluded. For more info, check out the official Google video above.

Source: Google

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (04-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know that this is a direct challenge to facetime. That said, it is nice to be able to video chat from phone to pc. AFAIK, facetime doesn't allow this (OSX only). Now if only skype could get their act together with Android video chat...

EDIT: BTW "Google Talk" is not a new feature... it's been on stock Android for ages. The video/voice chat is what is new.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Who care what Google wants to do to try to take on the iPhone. We just need a real universa that work great with your facetime friends and Gtalk or any other form of video chating from PC and Mobile Phone in one. If Apple or Google do that now that is taking you device to the next level. A buil in App that will be Cool.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 04-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    Who care what Google wants to do to try to take on the iPhone. We just need a real universa that work great with your facetime friends and Gtalk or any other form of video chating from PC and Mobile Phone in one. If Apple or Google do that now that is taking you device to the next level. A buil in App that will be Cool.
    Skype COULD easily do this... for whatever reason they are holding off on Android devices and just providing them with Quik...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gldoorii For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (04-30-2011), reanimationxp (04-30-2011), TheDirtyDiddler (04-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have yet to use facetime or video chat anyone with my iPhone4, doubt it would happen any time soon.
    Texting on the videochat is pretty cool though, like private message without people around you know.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.
    Me too. And I'm not being sarcastic.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I have yet to use facetime or video chat anyone with my iPhone4, doubt it would happen any time soon.
    Texting on the videochat is pretty cool though, like private message without people around you know.
    Nice feature. Maybe you have something to say that you don't want others to hear, so just send them a txt

I think this is great. Finally a complete video chat platform that includes PC, OSX, iPhone, iPad, and Android. We're no longer limited to Facetime and its handicapped little world of supported platforms, or Skype who for some reason hasn't supported Android or even produced an iPad app.

Thanks Google!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is a great idea. Cant wait for it to be released.

Thanks

Yes, this seems like a stupid idea, until you consider possiblities like being sent a web link. It will be nice to click on the link from there, rather than having to change screens to click the link you want to get to anyway. Quite handy, if you ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    I think this is great. Finally a complete video chat platform that includes PC, OSX, iPhone, iPad, and Android. We're no longer limited to Facetime and its handicapped little world of supported platforms, or Skype who for some reason hasn't supported Android or even produced an iPad app.

Thanks Google!
    Google will need APIs to access iPhone/iPad cameras won't they? Meaning it won't come on the web version for iPhone/iPad users. Further meaning Google will need to release an official App Store app for Google Talk. I think we might be waiting quite a while for that.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Some good competition. Hopefully Apple will step-up and go beyond what Google's done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Google will need APIs to access iPhone/iPad cameras won't they? Meaning it won't come on the web version for iPhone/iPad users. Further meaning Google will need to release an official App Store app for Google Talk. I think we might be waiting quite a while for that.
    Agreed. I don't think google even has a google talk app for iOS yet...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (04-30-2011)

How is this suppose to challenge FaceTime?? it's not going to stop me from using my i4 in any way and am sure it's not going to keep any other i4 user from using there FaceTime as well.. So again how is this a challenge? To the phone it self maybe but to FaceTime I don't see how.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Google copying apple and trying to make it better??!!?? Now that's a shock... However, FaceTime already works the same way google video is trying to do. I use it with my iPhone or Mac buddies often. Apple should make FaceTime for PC like they do with iTunes and safari.
    Still though, skype beats FaceTime for functionality and wide spread use. It would be nice if android phones could do video calling...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Google copying apple and trying to make it better??!!?? Now that's a shock... However, FaceTime already works the same way google video is trying to do. I use it with my iPhone or Mac buddies often. Apple should make FaceTime for PC like they do with iTunes and safari.
    Still though, skype beats FaceTime for functionality and wide spread use. It would be nice if android phones could do video calling...
    Apple did not invent video calling.
    I had that back in 2002(or 3) on my Nokia 3G (forgot what it was called), don't hear you say Apple copy Nokia and many other phones around the world. Hell even the iPhone 3G or was it 3GS hardware supports video calling but Apple did not use it, proof that video calling is around before Apple iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    How is this suppose to challenge FaceTime?? it's not going to stop me from using my i4 in any way and am sure it's not going to keep any other i4 user from using there FaceTime as well.. So again how is this a challenge? To the phone it self maybe but to FaceTime I don't see how.
    It may not challenge facetime but it is challenging iPhone/iPad sales. Google did this to make it more attractive, to get people to say hay this is good feature I will by Android phone instead. So the ball is in Apple's court, its good to have these innovations going to keep companies on their toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Nice feature. Maybe you have something to say that you don't want others to hear, so just send them a txt
    I'm imagining calling girlfriend and videochat "Where do you want to go for dinner" while texting "what color underwear are you wearing?"
    Last edited by unison999; 04-29-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lol I thought that too!!! Lol can't really see a use for that function

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Apple have allowed other apps like yahoo to use the camera for chat! So not impossible maybe apple will come along with a new feature too lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

This just in, Apple said if google wants to make an app for the iphone they would approve the app in roughly 2 years........
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast