+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Locationgate Federal Suit Filed

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Bloomberg is reporting the first Federal Lawsuit has been filed against Apple pertaining to the iSpy/Locationgate/other-generic-name scandal. The suit was filed April 22 in Tampa, Florida, at a federal court
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default First Locationgate Federal Suit Filed

Bloomberg is reporting the first Federal Lawsuit has been filed against Apple pertaining to the iSpy/Locationgate/other-generic-name scandal.

The suit was filed April 22 in Tampa, Florida, at a federal court by Vikram Ajjampur, a Florida based iphone user, and William Devito, a New York based iPad customer. The two men filed suit hoping to have a judge bar the alleged data collection by Apple.

The complaint is filled with familiar claims regarding location based data collection, that until recently, has occurred unbeknownst to iOS users. The two men wish to represent the U.S. customers whose iOS devices are allegedly collecting their location data. Also, the two men are seeking refunds claiming they would not have purchased the phones if they had known about the data collection.

“We take issue specifically with the notion that Apple is now basically tracking people everywhere they go,” Aaron Mayer, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said today in a telephone interview with Bloomberg. “If you are a federal marshal you have to have a warrant to do this kind of thing, and Apple is doing it without one.”
    The question still remains though: Who is going to serve Steve Jobs his "notice of suit" legal papers. Or who even gets served those papers? If it is in fact Jobs, how does one go about getting him to confirm his identity before servicing said papers?

Sources: Bloomberg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Swanson For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-25-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

suit is against Apple as a corporate entity not against Jobs. There is no grounds to file against Jobs unless they can prove Jobs is the one that specifically told programmers to encode locationgate or whatever you want to call it into iOS.

Bet Apple is going to have iOS 4.3.3 soon...
    Last edited by unison999; 04-25-2011 at 04:35 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Glad to see this happening. I really don't like the idea of any kind of information being stored without my knowledge or the ability to "opt out". I know there will be those that say it's no big deal and it's prob not but that's not the point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rkswat For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (04-25-2011)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The flood gates are open, here it comes .........

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    suit is against Apple as a corporate entity not against Jobs. There is no grounds to file against Jobs unless they can prove Jobs is the one that specifically told programmers to encode locationgate or whatever you want to call it into iOS.

Bet Apple is going to have iOS 4.3.3 soon...

Lol, u right. They are gonna release 4.3.3 and get rid of the consolidated.db in it

And lol @ "other genaric-name scandal"

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    The flood gates are open, here it comes .........

Mmmmmhhhhmmmmmm

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

God, who cares. This is ridiculous. Why the Hell does anyone care if someone knows where you WERE? Who gives a sh*t. Oh look, Johnny Fu*king Appleseed was at Wawa yesterday. Now we got him! ugh. Sometimes the way people over-react to petty things is more annoying than the actual issue at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronfin44 For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (04-26-2011), iSteed (04-26-2011), TimVFR (04-25-2011)

Thanks

I don't see this going far. Apple will be the first to point out that they agreed to be tracked
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Serve S. Jobs? I dunno if you're trying to be clever or just an idiot, but it's just dumb. Apple /= Steve Jobs. Who are these people coming from the woodwork, and who are these bottom feeder lawyers willing to represent them. With any luck Apple will bankrupt these sharks since civil case victories require that legal fees be paid by the loser. Refunds? My god!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

TimVFR (04-25-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind this "locationgate". 2 words CONSTANT ALIBIS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This whole thing is really so ridiculous. Who really cares, it isn't even close to being accurate anyway. I looked at my data and it showed half my "tracking points" in the water, I don't own a boat. BTW, I do live in Hawaii.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TimVFR For This Useful Post:

ronfin44 (04-26-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is the most ridiculous lawsuit next to the McDonalds Hot Coffee incident. Almost every mobile device and computer does this, it's nothing new at all.

Even the cheap free piece of **** phones you get from AT&T keep track of where you "were" on some level. Anyone who cares or is worried about someone discovering their GPS coordinates from 5 hours ago need a hobby or a life of some kind.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraggot For This Useful Post:

iSteed (04-26-2011), ronfin44 (04-26-2011)

Thanks

THEN Why isn't there a law suit against Google for the same thing on Android Phones. It's simple..cause Apple is #1 and that's it. I'm beginning to wonder if people actually READ what ever they get into. I knew Apple was gonna use something like this to better help them perform better services..BUT..I also have a J/B iphone which means that this issue does not concern me. So I guess I'll be waiting for Google to be handed their papers also.

BTW...How would I look up this info. Is there a Video on Youtube that can show a normal consumer like me.."where" I was and not "WHERE" i am?
    Last edited by AKCHRIS; 04-25-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

All i can say is LOL. You wouldnt have bought the phones. LOL can someone please remind them that they're no such thing as privacy. What are you kidding me?

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default It's a bad precedent that could be used for nefarious purposes
    Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    God, who cares. This is ridiculous. Why the Hell does anyone care if someone knows where you WERE? Who gives a sh*t. Oh look, Johnny Fu*king Appleseed was at Wawa yesterday. Now we got him! ugh. Sometimes the way people over-react to petty things is more annoying than the actual issue at hand.
    Nothing bad may happen now, but it sets a bad precedent. Eventually, when all phones all over the world become smart phones with user tracking, the data could be used by rouge governments to track and punish dissidents, sometimes even killing them. Don't believe me? It already happened via Facebook and email with the recent middle east uprisings.

So anyway, you were saying…?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bologna For This Useful Post:

BustAGroove (04-26-2011), cpotoso (04-25-2011), crankz1 (04-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post

Obviously people care or else this would not be an issue, just the thread disproves your comment about people not caring.
    And thank you for keeping this thread up by bumping it up with your reply so people keep talking about it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (04-25-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Nothing bad may happen now, but it sets a bad precedent. Eventually, when all phones all over the world become smart phones with user tracking, the data could be used by rouge governments to track and punish dissidents, sometimes even killing them. Don't believe me? It already happened via Facebook and email with the recent middle east uprisings.

So anyway, you were saying…?
    But ALL phones basically already do this on some level, as does your home computer. You are always being tracked, get used to it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fraggot View Post
    This is the most ridiculous lawsuit next to the McDonalds Hot Coffee incident. Almost every mobile device and computer does this, it's nothing new at all..
    Let me remind you McDonalds lost in that suit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    [B]THEN Why isn't there a law suit against Google for the same thing on Android Phones. It's simple..cause Apple is #1 and that's it.
    If you did any research you would know you can opt out and shut it off on Android, there is no such option on Apple.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-25-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

27. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (04-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Can I sue apple 2? I need some extra money lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Let me remind you McDonalds lost in that suit.

If you did any research you would know you can opt out and shut it off, there is no such option on Apple.
    McDonalds losing does not change the fact that it's ridiculous. Just like all phones, you can opt out some way but that doesn't leave you entirely in the clear, the cell towers and other functions need your general location for many reasons.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast