Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Allegedly Responds to iOS Location Tracking

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Chief Steve Jobs Allegedly Responds to iOS Location Tracking

Reports surfaced Monday morning that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has responded to accusations that iOS devices track user location data. Late last week, two prominent security researchers came forward saying that they have discovered that the iPhone maintains a location log that includes longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates as well as a timestamp. Each time the iPhone is synced to the computer a new log file is created.

In the wake of the report, a backlash mounted against Apple from the likes of consumer privacy watchdogs, US lawmakers, and, naturally, a great many iOS users who feel their privacy is compromised by the supposed tracking functionality of their mobile devices. Consequently, no shortage of iPhone users have dashed off terse notes to Apple seeking information. And it now appears that one such message received a personal reply from Apple's chief executive.

"Could you please explain the necessity of the passive location-tracking tool embedded in my iPhone?" the customer wrote in email. "It's kind of unnerving knowing that my exact location is being recorded at all times. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me before I switch to a Droid. They don't track me." Jobs' typically terse response: "Oh yes they do. We don't track anyone. The info circulating around is false." The reply originated via Jobs' iPhone.
    In the past, Steve Jobs has been known to reply directly to Apple customers, so the concept certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. But, at the same time, numerous media outlets and publications have been duped by false messages from Jobs. At this point in time, it's still too early to confirm the validity of the email or the content of the message.

But all signs clearly point to a continuation of this story in the headlines until some detailed and legitimate answers are provided by Apple.

Source: Fierce Mobile Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-25-2011)

I don't see the big deal in this whole issue about tracking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Man of Sand For This Useful Post:

rickinsav (04-25-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Steve, try saying that without your medications.
    Right now you probably believe there is no antennagate problem, unicorns and toothfairies.
    I've downloaded program and saw places I went from the logs, I know my iPhone was tracking me before I used the blocking program.
    Android do track but you can OPT-OUT! and turn the location feature off.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (04-25-2011), cpotoso (04-25-2011), EdmundGerber (04-25-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pretty sure SJ wouldn't even bother responding to that and wouldn't lie considering we already have the details of the consolidated.db file.

Just stop storing all that info on my f*** iphone!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

StayyyFlyyy (04-25-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    It's rather simple. The 'big deal' isn't so much related to what Apple is doing with it now. The 'big deal' is what could have been done with it should Apple have decided to collect this information from your copy of iTunes and combined it with other information they know about you. Anyone who doesn't realize that information is power hasn't been paying attention.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tracking
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    MOST of us don't want somebody, uninvited, tagging along wherever we go. This hasn't got anything to do with doing illegal things; we don't live in China and what we do on our own time is our own business !

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (04-25-2011), g12007 (04-25-2011), GellBrake'rrrr (04-25-2011), Go Gators (04-25-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Typical Apple style, vague with no details.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (04-27-2011)

If you think this tracking is specific to Apple and that this won't happen on Android then you are terribly ignorant. ALL phones must do what they cause Apple's phones doing...by law...Apple just got caught. Law makers taking actions is a complete joke, the phones were doing what they were told. Every single consumer computer or mobile OS has back doors built into them by law, mandated by agencies like the FBI and NSA. The silly thing about this is that the tracking is terribly inaccurate. I mapped out my consolidated.db and none of the points were within a few hundred feet of my house. Out in the country this wouldn't mean much, but in a city they would never pinpoint a single person. There were even points a hundred miles from where I've never ventured to on the map.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ramicio For This Useful Post:

jkmonkey (04-26-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Here we go again, a whole debate about our privacy rights....

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

And in typical Steve Jobs style he denies there is a problem... Apparently de nile is only a river to him...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    ... de nile is only a river to him...
    That is funny

iPhone? More like MyPhone cafini8ted's Avatar
    Thanks

to Me this feels like apple is moving in line with their ideas of specialized advertising - in a "Minority Report" sort of way - they know where you are and where you have been - and can specialize advertisement specifically "Tailored" for you. Do I like the concept - YES - Do I like being forced to participate - NO

Give me the option - Quit Forcing your Will on things I have to pay for - that are mine - Let it be Mine to decide how I want to use it

You want privacy without fighting for it? Become Amish.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cafini8ted View Post
    ...Give me the option - Quit Forcing your Will on things I have to pay for - that are mine - Let it be Mine to decide how I want to use it
    Another key reason Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. We would never know
    Ignorance is bliss. Not!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (04-25-2011)

Who do you all think you are!!?? Asking apple to respect your privacy!? What balls!

The only thing this is good for is not seeing the dumb easter one all day anymore.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I like steves reply.. "oh yes they are." like really you think any other cellphone company is any different? LOL ill switch to a droid, go for it buddy no ones stopping you.

And really who are you? apple doesnt care, you hit ACCEPT on the terms of service or w/e its done. You could have easily pressed DECLINE and returned your phone. This is a jailbreaking website, jailbreak your phone and block what is necessary. Done deal.

PS. did you really think they weren't already tracking your movements.. Gosh law enforcement can get records of calls and txts transcripts of everything you made if they get the proper paperwork from your telecommunications provider. Hop on the 21st century train, your bring tracked 24/7 from watch your PVR is watching on tv to what website you go on. So on so forth. Go live in a forest with nothing if you dont wanna be tracked even then they got satellites so id go for the cave.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

I don't really care about the fact that I'm being "tracked" I'm only being tracked If I let them steal my iPhone. I would not care about them knowing where I was if they stole my iPhone identity theft is way worse. But still i still agree this is wrong why even keep this file i don't want them sending this info to advertisers etc. Not that I care theres a file I just don't get why they have it

Maybe it'll be a new way of recommending songs or apps? Lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast