Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Allegedly Responds to iOS Location Tracking

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, ok, I'll admit it Steve... I was looking at Droids Friday, I'm sorry. I was just curious. They meant NOTHING to me, I swear it. Please stop tracking me now, you were right. I promise I'll never look at the Droids again.
    And Steve Jobs said "Let there be light... and lets put that into an app also"

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
    For someone that does not want to be tracked, you live a rather transparent life. I will be vague, due to the fact that you do not want to be tracked, but here are some interesting details I found in under 10 minutes. Initials M.L. Visited the state next to your own not too long ago ( Looks like about a week - two weeks ago, I could have dug further and probably got a *very* accurate date ). You drive a modified import, that I could probably also get a license plate number for if I really wanted it.

If you do not want to be followed, then be less transparent in your everyday life. If they had a purpose for following you, then the tracking on your iPhone should be the least of your worries.

*Ok, realistically 99% of the thread was a waste of time. Not too many valid arguments ever pop-up on this site any more. The news runs late, biased, and seems to be nothing more than news to spark flame wars between groups that can not complete coherent thoughts.*
    Ok I guess your 1% is all that counts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

For someone that does not want to be tracked, you live a rather transparent life. I will be vague, due to the fact that you do not want to be tracked, but here are some interesting details I found in under 10 minutes. Initials M.L. Visited the state next to your own not too long ago ( Looks like about a week - two weeks ago, I could have dug further and probably got a *very* accurate date ). You drive a modified import, that I could probably also get a license plate number for if I really wanted it.

If you do not want to be followed, then be less transparent in your everyday life. If they had a purpose for following you, then the tracking on your iPhone should be the least of your worries.

*Ok, realistically 99% of the thread was a waste of time. Not too many valid arguments ever pop-up on this site any more. The news runs late, biased, and seems to be nothing more than news to spark flame wars between groups that can not complete coherent thoughts.*
    The more you know!
    And Steve Jobs said "Let there be light... and lets put that into an app also"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Just stop storing all that info on my f*** iphone!
    What's a f*** iPhone? Good sir, I believe you are using your iPhone incorrectly, you're not supposed to f*** your iPhone nor are you supposed to f*** others with your iPhone. That might be why you are experiencing problems...

inb4troll

Thanks

Yes here we go again with the typical paranoid freaks who think they're special enough to have a multi billion dollar company track their every move.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Ok I guess your 1% is all that counts.
    Last I checked a person with a total of 50-60 posts on a forum with literally millions of posts, does not make up the 1% you speak of.

Unless I am just terrible with simple math, and am mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Syn View Post
    Yes here we go again with the typical paranoid freaks who think they're special enough to have a multi billion dollar company track their every move.

Your signature could not have fit this thread more perfectly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    You can OPT out on the iphone too.. www.oo.apple.com
    Thats for opting out of iAd Network advertising, not opting out of location tracking.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah I drive a stock Subaru Impreza automatic for work had a stock Skyline R35 for fun but swapped it for Mercedes because Skyline was too much fun, nice try. As to my vacation I posted it up for all to see, so don't really need to dig on that. Keyword search my forum name would get you more than this, they are nothing to hide like I've said.
    I've kept more personal information secret, like my girlfriend's address where I work and live but guess what tracked that information? No matter how you try to spin this, Apple collecting all this information is wrong and you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    This definitely can't be Jobs. Why would anyone accuse another company of tracking as if it's a norm while simultaneously denying tracking themself? It doesn't make sense.
    They did it on Antennagate, show that other phones have it and deny that it is problem on iPhone4 only gave away free bumpers because it was out of goodness of Jobs heart.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-25-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Last I checked a person with a total of 50-60 posts on a forum with literally millions of posts, does not make up the 1% you speak of.

Unless I am just terrible with simple math, and am mistaken.

Your signature could not have fit this thread more perfectly.

Who told you that

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Syn View Post

Don't do it and there wouldn't be any problem!!!
    Don't want me to complain about it then don't code it into the iOS!!

Thanks

This isn't really as big of a deal as they are blowing it out to be. Yes it should have been encrypted. Should they have made it more known they were doing it?? Maybe yes maybe no. There are a few lines in the itunes agreement that says they collect data but it doesn't give specifics. There is no privacy anymore and I wish people would just accept that and move on.
    Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

simply add an off button would have solved all this problem, but that is not even an option...

Some of you people or blind to the fact that Apple Is tracking you. Why in the hell would have your phone keeping TRACK off the logs If they werent interested in where u are at all times. Why or what is that file for then other then tracking?
    Its like putting a surveillance camera into a home and saying oh dont mind the camera we are not watching you.

So iOS tracks user locations...are they being sent somewhere?.....or just stationary on my phone...great my phone knows where I'm at...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't see the big deal even if it is stored on the phone, the only people can get to it is to take either your phone or a backup of your phone from iTunes and find put where you've been. Bothe of these seem highly unlikely. Let's say someone steals your phone, the more logical thing would be to try and stay away from places you've been so that's you cant get your phone back. People wouldn't try to follow you around. And if they did want to, they would already be able to do that by tracking the gps on your phone. This is just getting way out of hand. People didn't care about it until someone pointed it out and before that and even now as far as I've heard there has been no threat caused by this so everyone just chill the f*ck out. Android is doing it too so it must be there for a reason that has been unimportant for as long as this has been going on.

What bad things can apple do with this?

Thanks

This is literally no different then people checking in places via facebook or foursquare. If you don't want them tracking you then don't have an iPhone or jailbreak it and download untrackerd and stop it. Anyone with the google and a little programming knowledge can track any cell phone they want as long as it is turned on. This isn't new technology. Encrypt the file if you are going to keep it on the phone. Does anyone realize that android phones record their user data and sends it to google?? At least apple isn't taking the data (from what we can tell) and using it.
    Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timstanley View Post
    What bad things can apple do with this?
    At the moment the location data resided on your iPhone and your iPhone backups from iTunes. Apple doesn't have the data, but they could very easily grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    You can OPT out on the iphone too.. oo.apple.com
    Wrong, that doesn't exempt you from this issue, thats just to stop tailored advertising
    Last edited by dsg; 04-25-2011 at 04:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Calm down on Steve Jobs. He is currently in the hospital for your info (Probably brain problems is my guess).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast