+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Allegedly Responds to iOS Location Tracking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I dont see what the deal is.. What are you a super angent secret spy that doesn't want you gf to know where you've been.. To me this is no
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont see what the deal is.. What are you a super angent secret spy that doesn't want you gf to know where you've been.. To me this is no big deal... If apple want to know I was out and went to a restaurant last night then so be it..

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    That is funny
    Thanks hahaha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chino54 View Post
    I dont see what the deal is.. What are you a super angent secret spy that doesn't want you gf to know where you've been.. To me this is no big deal... If apple want to know I was out and went to a restaurant last night then so be it..
    Ya and why would even have an iPhone, they would probably have a supercool spy phone in their shoe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Droid only tracks you if you allow it. Google has the decency to ask first.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

People who keep giving saying law enforcement can track you so what is the big deal? They have to get a court order in order to do such things, and things they gather that can be used must be what the court order says. i.e. can't bust him for drug deal when the court order is for illegal arms.

A government have rules when they invades privacy of an individual, apparantly Apple is above the law because they don't care about that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

dsg (04-25-2011), rkswat (04-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Steve, try saying that without your medications.
    Right now you probably believe there is no antennagate problem, unicorns and toothfairies.
    I've downloaded program and saw places I went from the logs, I know my iPhone was tracking me before I used the blocking program.
    Android do track but you can OPT-OUT! and turn the location feature off.
    You can OPT out on the iphone too.. www.oo.apple.com

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

People who keep giving saying law enforcement can track you so what is the big deal? They have to get a court order in order to do such things, and things they gather that can be used must be what the court order says. i.e. can't bust him for drug deal when the court order is for illegal arms.

A government have rules when they invades privacy of an individual, apparantly Apple is above the law because they don't care about that.
    +1

Its really disturbing to see how many people will agree to whatever Apple does legal or illegal.

So many lemmings on here act like if Apple does something illegal or unethical, its ok, "they must have a good reason" any one else does it, its wrong.

Makes me want to stop buying Apple products and supporting such behavior.

BadApple lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MYPHONEI For This Useful Post:

Tedomcmillan (04-25-2011)

Thanks

Oh really cares if they are being tracked! End of the day if ur have mobile phone then ur being tracked all the time buy the networks!! Only people with something to hide will be really bothered!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    You can OPT out on the iphone too.. www.oo.apple.com
    but can you turn it off? No.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Oh really cares if they are being tracked! End of the day if ur have mobile phone then ur being tracked all the time buy the networks!! Only people with something to hide will be really bothered!
    I don't want to be tracked by anybody and I've got nothing to hide. So what you said is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Makes me want to stop buying Apple products and supporting such behavior.
    I've already decided to get out of iPhone which basically eliminates all Apple products for my personal use once my contract is up. I've moved company's phones over to Android OS phones, now only if the art department stop insist on using Apple computers then I can be completely Apple free.

BTW I love the picture used for this thread, shows how shady Jobs really is. Wort on his nose and a red apple in his hand, could probably pass off as Snow White's Wicked Stepmother.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-25-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really don't mind that my phone is keeping track of my locations. It does bother me that this was being done secretly, and Apple denies it. But if it were an option in Settings, I would have enabled it from the start. I have nothing to hide, and actually found the info interesting when I saw it on a map. I have always known that cell towers triangulate my location. I'm not going to erase the info, or run untrackerd.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    I don't see the big deal in this whole issue about tracking.
    I guess it would not be a big thing if somebody was peeking in you windows at night.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    I guess it would not be a big thing if somebody was peeking in you windows at night.
    Statements like this are what make threads like this a waste of time. There is a big difference in having someones triangulated Lat+Long locations stored on their personal computer that they decided to sync their phone to, and someone looking through your window.

Let's start with the most obvious difference. You signed an EULA that allowed them to record that information, unless you are a very interesting individual I highly doubt you have signed an agreement with Peeping Tom to allow him to take a peek when he felt like it.

Next would be the fact that in all these years Apple has yet to actually retrieve these logs. For those of you a little behind the curve, this finding about location tracking is nothing new. It has been implemented in our phones for years.

The only relevant, educated post I have seen in this thread was the one related to the fact that law enforcement agencies must at least have the proper paperwork before retrieving private information such as a list of where you have been. Of course, even that has been covered considering that Apple, *along with several other companies across the globe*, have covered there bases when it comes to small invasions of privacy like this one.

If you want to be realistic, when you sync your phone all of your data is backed up to your computer as well, ranging from pictures to complete contact lists, in the same recursed directory as this consolidated list, should that not be an invasion of privacy as well? Oh wait, it would only be an invasion of privacy if they were actually taking the information pulled from your phone, which they are not. ( Unless of course you don't like sending in bug reports, then, as a professional software engineer all I can do is give you a g'day, enjoy your broken product and stop complaining when bugs aren't being fixed on your timeline. )

Thanks

but can you turn it off? No.

I don't want to be tracked by anybody and I've got nothing to hide. So what you said is invalid.

I've already decided to get out of iPhone which basically eliminates all Apple products for my personal use once my contract is up. I've moved company's phones over to Android OS phones, now only if the art department stop insist on using Apple computers then I can be completely Apple free.

BTW I love the picture used for this thread, shows how shady Jobs really is. Wort on his nose and a red apple in his hand, could probably pass off as Snow White's Wicked Stepmother.
    Maybe time to put ur foil hat on then! Lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
    Statements like this are what make threads like this a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Maybe time to put ur foil hat on then! Lol
    And this response is any better...

Quote Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
    There is a big difference in having someones triangulated Lat+Long locations stored on their personal computer that they decided to sync their phone to, and someone looking through your window.
    It is more like someone put a program in the driver of the camera, take pictures once in awhile and store it in the computer without people's knowledge. Driver is set to update itself, which would give access to these picture files to the company when they intend to use it.

Thanks

For someone that does not want to be tracked, you live a rather transparent life. I will be vague, due to the fact that you do not want to be tracked, but here are some interesting details I found in under 10 minutes. Initials M.L. Visited the state next to your own not too long ago ( Looks like about a week - two weeks ago, I could have dug further and probably got a *very* accurate date ). You drive a modified import, that I could probably also get a license plate number for if I really wanted it.

If you do not want to be followed, then be less transparent in your everyday life. If they had a purpose for following you, then the tracking on your iPhone should be the least of your worries.

*Ok, realistically 99% of the thread was a waste of time. Not too many valid arguments ever pop-up on this site any more. The news runs late, biased, and seems to be nothing more than news to spark flame wars between groups that can not complete coherent thoughts.*
    Last edited by Blufox; 04-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    The only thing this is good for is not seeing the dumb easter one all day anymore.
    Agreed.

Thanks

The email is a fake. Period.

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This definitely can't be Jobs. Why would anyone accuse another company of tracking as if it's a norm while simultaneously denying tracking themself? It doesn't make sense.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

People that do not like what apple is doing with there PAST Locations are really going over board with this Privacy thing.
    1. If i were a stalker(which im not) how in the world would i know you had a file on your iphone that could tell me where you have been last month. Most stalkers are not "Techies" and probably dont even know what a jailbreak is.
    2. YOU AGREED TO IT ON THE TERMS OF USE!!!!!!!!
    3. If you dont like it, there are already things that you can do to stop it. For Example that package in cydia that will remove the file.
    4. Its really not that big of a deal. APPLE has seen where youve been last month or the month before that,BIG DEAL, they DONT TRACK YOU!!!
    The next time you jump into say THATS ILLEGAL AHHHH IM ANGRY!!!!
    Think what could apple want? maybe they want to adress service issues with the phone compaines. Maybe they want to create certian apple stores in some places. I Dont Know But, I REALLY DONT CARE!!!
    To Apple: Keep up the good work and geep those amazing products coming!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

im pretty sure ALL mobile phones keep some kind of log like apple's location bs