+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Lawmakers Take Aim at Apple over iPhone Location Tracking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you've been hanging around MMi the last few days, you're probably familiar with the rampant talk surrounding the recently publicized discovery that Apple keeps close, secretive tabs on where
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default US Lawmakers Take Aim at Apple over iPhone Location Tracking

If you've been hanging around MMi the last few days, you're probably familiar with the rampant talk surrounding the recently publicized discovery that Apple keeps close, secretive tabs on where you and your iPhone go. As my colleague Phillip Swanson dished yesterday, security researchers have discovered the iPhone maintains a location log that includes longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates as well as a timestamp. Each time the iPhone is synced to the computer a new log file is created.

Well, now US lawmakers have gotten wind of this discovery. Fresh from their skirmish with Apple over in-app purchases and the phenomenon of children unwittingly purchasing a gazilion-dollars worth of stuff via mommy and daddy's iPhone, several high-profile US senators are calling attention to Apple's tracking bonanza (even though we agree to be tracked in the fine print of Apple's "terms and conditions" document).

On Thursday, Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Rep. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.) went public with their effort to force Apple to address this report immediately. Franken, in particular, drafted a letter to Mr. Steve Jobs himself. "There are numerous ways in which this information could be abused by criminals and bad actors," Franken stated in the letter. "Furthermore, there is no indication that this file is any different for underage iPhone or iPad users, meaning that the millions of children and teenagers who use iPhone or iPad devices also risk having their location collected and compromised."

Franken also dashed-off a litany of questions pushing Apple to answer why its collects the data in the first place and how it's ultimately used. Franken is even wondering if other Apple devices - like laptops - similarly acquire and report user location and usage information. It's a good question. And soon enough, Apple may respond with the answers we're all waiting for.

Source: C-Span, The Hill
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 04-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-21-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Burn apple, burn.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Take that Apple. Take that!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Minority report, 1984, Orwell, Skynet, etc...you're already in the machine, there is no escape...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hahaha I love this!!!
    "Terms and Conditions" do not get Apple off the hook, I am sure a suit is in the works against Apple for this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha it would be great if Apple got in trouble for this, but the thing is that Apple will win this suit simply because it's in their TOS that we all agree to.

Thanks

in the next 20 years apple will be as powerfull as skynet

Thanks

wow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Ha it would be great if Apple got in trouble for this, but the thing is that Apple will win this suit simply because it's in their TOS that we all agree to.
    Like it's been said before...TOS doesn't get them off the hook...if they hid "by clicking accept you owe Apple your kids" within their TOS, it is not what you would call 'lawful'.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I want my piece of the (Apple)pie!
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    hahaha I love this!!!
    "Terms and Conditions" do not get Apple off the hook, I am sure a suit is in the works against Apple for this.
    I want my piece of the (Apple)pie!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Here's the quote from The Wall Street Journal:

Apple gathers the data to help build a "database with known location information," the letter says. "This information is batched and then encrypted and transmitted to Apple over a Wi-Fi Internet connection every twelve hours (or later if the device does not have Wi-Fi Internet access at that time)," the company wrote in the July letter to Congress.

All those bad boys out there that have been "stealing" from AT&T by tethering to their bluetooth headsets without a paid tethering plan - they know where you are and what color underwear you were wearing at the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Here's the quote from The Wall Street Journal:

Apple gathers the data to help build a "database with known location information," the letter says. "This information is batched and then encrypted and transmitted to Apple over a Wi-Fi Internet connection every twelve hours (or later if the device does not have Wi-Fi Internet access at that time)," the company wrote in the July letter to Congress.

All those bad boys out there that have been "stealing" from AT&T by tethering to their bluetooth headsets without a paid tethering plan - they know where you are and what color underwear you were wearing at the time.
    Wow!!! This is really creepy...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple could always argue there is a legal way to disable it!
    'untrackerd' Cydia Tweak stops iOS Location Data Storing
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

This is a "toffee Apple" moment.

...because they're in a sticky situation...

haha

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Amraam For This Useful Post:

carlbgc (04-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    Apple could always argue there is a legal way to disable it!
    'untrackerd' Cydia Tweak stops iOS Location Data Storing
    lol, Apple argue in favor of using a jailbreak app to circumvent something they've built into iOS? No way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    This is a "toffee Apple" moment.

...because they're in a sticky situation...

haha
    More like a rotten Apple. Meeeehhhhhhh

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    lol, Apple argue in favor of using a jailbreak app to circumvent something they've built into iOS? No way.
    oo the irony lol
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, I love how everyone is against Apple on this. I understand the issue, but had nothing ever been found and brought up with this we'd continue living life as normal. If something actually does happen from these logs then there is a problem, but for now Apple has it in their Terms and Conditions, and nothing bad has happened because of it. Everyone's so quick to bounce on Apple when they think they've done something wrong....lame.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone really care if Apple keep track of your iPhone locations?

It could be useful but its Apple, not some unknown company.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

Joserrrr (04-21-2011), steve-z17 (04-21-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, I do not want my phone tracking my every move. I have rights as a human being and I do not agree to allow my rights to be given away.

Our ancestors fought so we could be free, and we now just dont care anymore,we just give it away a little at a time. Then when its gone we will all say, where did our freedom go.

PS. Where did our freedom go?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chakraj For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (04-21-2011), crankz1 (04-21-2011), Razz (04-21-2011), sk8ertim (04-21-2011)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast