+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Lawmakers Take Aim at Apple over iPhone Location Tracking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by chakraj Yes, I do not want my phone tracking my every move. I have rights as a human being and I do not agree to allow my
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
    Yes, I do not want my phone tracking my every move. I have rights as a human being and I do not agree to allow my rights to be given away.

Our ancestors fought so we could be free, and we now just dont care anymore,we just give it away a little at a time. Then when its gone we will all say, where did our freedom go.

PS. Where did our freedom go?
    I concur.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really care if they know where I've been or where am I. There are lots of millions of people that us the iPhone and iPad and apple can't track every one of them and it is mostly useless info. They don't need to and can't track every individual.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I want to know why as well.

Thanks

Wow, this has turned into such a sensational circus. People, and especially senators, should educate themselves a bit first before spouting off. This is nothing new. You did actually agree to this when you didn't bother reading the TOS and hastily clicked on 'Agree'. And here's the shocker: Apple is only one of MANY that do this, and they all ask you to 'Agree', and you do!
    Is the senator also going to demand the same response from Google, Motorola, HTC, RIMM, Microsoft, HP/Palm?
    Because they all do the same thing.

Please read this article & TOC's from the various companies, then you'll understand why this is just sensational reporting:

Your smartphone is tracking you, and you said it was okay | BGR

And if you're still paranoid, you can always jailbreak & install Petrich's fix from Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Does anyone really care if Apple keep track of your iPhone locations?

It could be useful but its Apple, not some unknown company.
    Not so much where's I've been with my phone, but what DOES bother me is that included in the information gathered is the MAC ID for my router and cable modem, along with my residence location... Why is that needed or used ? I use MAC filtering as part of my router's security setup, and this just seems to invite "hey, come on over and squat on my Wi-Fi connection..."

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I really don't see why they need this additional data...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

True
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    Apple could always argue there is a legal way to disable it!
    'untrackerd' Cydia Tweak stops iOS Location Data Storing
    Nope, it might be legal if the program is disabled out of the box and user need to enable it with some sort of a toggle.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Tisk tisk Apple. Very naughty and you got busted....but I still love your products.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Does anyone really care if Apple keep track of your iPhone locations?

It could be useful but its Apple, not some unknown company.

Some girls I know wants to find out where their boyfriends are, they asked me about iPhone tracker but with this they can just tap into the last sync and find out where their boyfriends at.

I am sure there are plenty of husbands cheating on their wife that owns an iPhone, with the ability to track when and where they were these guys can lose more than 1/2 their worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    Wow, this has turned into such a sensational circus. People, and especially senators, should educate themselves a bit first before spouting off. This is nothing new. You did actually agree to this when you didn't bother reading the TOS and hastily clicked on 'Agree'. And here's the shocker: Apple is only one of MANY that do this, and they all ask you to 'Agree', and you do!
    Is the senator also going to demand the same response from Google, Motorola, HTC, RIMM, Microsoft, HP/Palm?
    Because they all do the same thing.

Please read this article & TOC's from the various companies, then you'll understand why this is just sensational reporting:

Your smartphone is tracking you, and you said it was okay | BGR

And if you're still paranoid, you can always jailbreak & install Petrich's fix from Cydia.

If you do a bit of research, a judgement was made against a company that used TOS and lost.
    Reason is people do not read these TOS before agreeing to it, they might be able to scare people off from filing individual lawsuit with noob lawyers.
    But a class action lawsuit this TOS excuse gets thrown out because of this precedence.
    Yes other cell phone companies also have TOS, it does not mean they can enforce it or use it as a defense.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-21-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

If Apples conditions are that you agree to this people then its either agreeing to it or another cell phone carrier that doesn't do this...

I think this could come in handy myself... if someone steals me they will be able to find me!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    If something actually does happen from these logs then there is a problem, but for now Apple has it in their Terms and Conditions, and nothing bad has happened because of it. Everyone's so quick to bounce on Apple when they think they've done something wrong....lame.
    With this log a wife that gets a hold of her husbands iPhone can find out when and where he was, if he is cheating on her guess what something bad happened.
    They did do something wrong, I did not give up my rights to privacy even if I clicked agree on the TOS.
    If Apple did not intend to use this info at some point, then there is no reason for them to add this to their programming. I fail how you can code all this and it turns out to be an accident on Apple's part.

All those people who sold their iPhones, a stranger knows where you go and what you do. Better hope they are not some psycho that would do something with that info.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-21-2011 at 01:47 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If apple can track our every move imagine what they can do with both the cameras the iPhone has.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I smell , I smell, I smell.. A LAW SUIT( on my house party 2 voice)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    With this log a wife that gets a hold of her husbands iPhone can find out when and where he was, if he is cheating on her guess what something bad happened.
    They did do something wrong, I did not give up my rights to privacy even if I clicked agree on the TOS.
    If Apple did not intend to use this info at some point, then there is no reason for them to add this to their programming. I fail how you can code all this and it turns out to be an accident on Apple's part.

All those people who sold their iPhones, a stranger knows where you go and what you do. Better hope they are not some psycho that would do something with that info.
    LOL! Are you trying to justify adultery? Obviously the husband is doing something wrong already by cheating, so her (somehow) finding the logs and stopping what's going on is actually a positive thing! Not the best example to use.

You're preaching to the choir though, I could care less that they're tracking on my phone, nothing bad has come of it, and until it does I'm ok with it.

Thanks

so they know where you are lol... why are people so paranoid... OMG THEY KNOW I'M AT KARLS JR. hahaha or god forbid they track you buying a windows machine and then no longer offer you help at an apple store because you're a traitor hahahah ... and i really doubt a child abductor is going to whip out his laptop track a kids iphone location and abduct them that way...
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wasn't this use for iADS? so that they know where you are and display the correct ads, I opted out of that, so why is my information still being gathered?

& to the peeps that think nothing has happened with this information, ultimately we dont have a bloody clue, for all we know they could be selling it to companies, who knows? but in my opinion they have done so and will continue to do so.

this is one of the main reasons Apple oppose JBing because we have full access to the phones file system & we will find out all the bad **** Apple do on the phone.

also I'm 100% against Apple gathering this information my Wifi MAC address and location are bang on top of my home, granted Apple already have my address, but if some **** nicks that info they know where I live, lets hope the peeps that got there phones stole, dont have there house tanned now because of this.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The TOS is just the shadow of a contract, and contracts are fluid and changeable so the TOS is no excuse or defense for this behavior.

This is about property rights. The file on my phone "consolidated.db" is my file and the info on it is my property. I am not willing to give my property without a fee. So I agree that theyc an use my property when and only when they pay me what value I find reasonable for my property.

Thanks

Wats all u ppls prob wit apple. They r an amazing company who is revolutionizing the electronics industry and all u ppl can do is hope for there downfall. Get ur minds rite!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple, burn in hell. I am sick and tired of your f*** behavior.

Thanks

Doesn't Osama Bin Laden have an iphone?

Can't we just go over to his mom's house (where he sync's his iphone) and find his location?

Or do you think his iphone is jailbroken?