+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Announces 'Verizon-Proof' Earnings, iPhone Activations

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T announced its quarterly earnings this morning and some are calling the numbers Verizon-proof, at least with regard to the carrier's strong iPhone activation numbers during the first quarter of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default AT&T Announces 'Verizon-Proof' Earnings, iPhone Activations

AT&T announced its quarterly earnings this morning and some are calling the numbers Verizon-proof, at least with regard to the carrier's strong iPhone activation numbers during the first quarter of 2011. Despite the arrival of the iPhone 4 on the Verizon network in the US and months of heated rumors leading up to that eventuality, AT&T activated 3.6 million iPhones during Q1, a full 33% increase from Q1 2010.

"We delivered another robust mobile broadband growth quarter for a very solid start to the year," boasted Randall Stephenson, the carrier's chairman and chief executive officer. "We posted double-digit wireless revenue growth, and we set new first-quarter records in total net adds, connected device net adds and smartphone sales. Growth in tablets and other branded computing subscribers also continues to be strong."

But, if truth be told, Stephenson's reference to "growth in tablets" is worth another look, as tablet activations actually grew at a much smaller pace than before, with just 322,000 tablet activations. Still, AT&T says it lured in a total of 62,000 new wireless contract users in the quarter. AT&T's total subscriber base now sits at 97.5 million, a full 12% increase over the last twelve months.

Despite the increased competition in the smartphone and tablet marketplaces and the threat of Verizon eviscerating AT&T's iPhone user base in the US, AT&T proved stronger than many anticipated today with its Q1 earnings - a positive sign for shareholders in the quarter ahead.

Source: Bloomberg

Green Apple
    Thanks

Won't the real test be in June, July, August when AT&T customers' contracts will be ending from the 3GS? Depending on what the differences might exist between the Verizon and AT&T in regards to 3G and 4G, pricing, etc, AT&T might not be boasting then.

Suspicion: I believe the iPhone 5 is on track for a June release. Apple just tightened the leaks this year after last year's incident.
    Last edited by STM127; 04-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to STM127 For This Useful Post:

aidanski (04-20-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

AT&T is gonna be just fine. Just need to work on their network a little more.

Thanks

...---...

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's see what happens after an lte model is released.
    I write Mac only tutorials for the iPhone. Check out my iOS 6 and iOS 7 tutorials: modmyphone d o t us

Thanks

The more money AT&T makes, the less they pay their reps. Makes perfect sense to me (sarcasm).
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    ...---...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Morse Code for LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to XFaega For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (04-20-2011)

Thanks

Verizon proof my a__, they were emailing people with 1000 free rollover mins, they brought the *calling any cellphone unlimited call future* on the table.
    Without the any cell phone I woulda been gone already.
    Only god knows what they will offer when the iphone is about to be released knowing that the verizon will not only be super reliable but extremely fast as well

Thanks

I don't think you'll see much change in this for awhile, the iPhone 5 release may make some difference. If AT&T gets T-Mobile that's gonna make the difference. Verizon is just as irritating as AT&T, both has there positives and negatives. 4G is going to be a concern, will 3G unlimited users be able to get unlimited 4G? Or is this how AT&T and Verizon gets rid of unlimited data users?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Morse Code for LOL
    No, actually you typed SOS. Perhaps the most well known msg in morse code. If you want LOL, you will want to use .-.. --- .-..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoffS4 For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (04-20-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I laugh at all the idiots who proclaimed that ATT would see its death when the iPhone moves to Verizon. I also laugh at all the idiots that proclaimed that Android in the US would meet its death when iPhone hits Verizon.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (04-20-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T will do just fine when "4G" rolls out. I've never been somewhere and been unhappy with AT&T's service. Most places I'm at have WiFi anyways. You don't have to have 3G to make a call.. AT&T's overall coverage is way better, I'd rather have Edge then nothing. Obviously experiences may vary...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DampDesigns For This Useful Post:

rickinsav (04-20-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    AT&T will do just fine when "4G" rolls out. I've never been somewhere and been unhappy with AT&T's service. Most places I'm at have WiFi anyways. You don't have to have 3G to make a call.. AT&T's overall coverage is way better, I'd rather have Edge then nothing. Obviously experiences may vary...
    Really? I'm assuming you don't live in NYC because here it's god awful. I've used 3G service on my iphone4 with a bumper both jailbroken and stock and no matter which way you slice it, 3G is god awful in NYC.

Thanks

It will take more than one quarter to determine if people are actually leaving at&t considering they made changes to their plans mid last year (new pricing/caps and higher ETF) to keep customers who upgraded last year from leaving at least for two more years.

Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
    Suspicion: I believe the iPhone 5 is on track for a June release. Apple just tightened the leaks this year after last year's incident.
    Side note, you really believe that? iOS5 will be shown in June to developers for the first time. Previous iOS versions have been shown in April with a June/July release giving devs three months to work with it. I don't see it. Three months from June puts an iOS5 release (along with new hardware) in late August or September along with iPod Touch/iTunes revisions and the Lion release. That makes much more sense to me. I don't see Apple releasing an iPhone 5 without a new iOS on board.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T needs to worry about getting 3g to their ENTIRE customer base before bragging about getting 4g rolled out. The people that do not have 3g can leave and go to verizon and get it which will eventually show on these so called great numbers. They are fogetting about the people that are just waiting for their contract to expire so they can go get real 3g service and not have to deal with AT&T any longer. I for one do like AT&T but with no 3g service I can get it by switching to verizon when my contract is up. I just want to see these numbers again after there is a contract cycle, that will show how many people really are not that loyal to AT&T.

Just my .02

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Really? I'm assuming you don't live in NYC because here it's god awful. I've used 3G service on my iphone4 with a bumper both jailbroken and stock and no matter which way you slice it, 3G is god awful in NYC.
    ya I'm nowhere near there haha but I have been in plenty of large cities and had better luck then my partner which is on Verizon.. like I said though, I'm sure everybody's experience may very. But as far as I'm concerned I'm plenty happy with AT&T and mostly the ability to multitask.. Believe it or not I actually do that quite often haha..

Quote Originally Posted by bookem15 View Post
    AT&T needs to worry about getting 3g to their ENTIRE customer base before bragging about getting 4g rolled out. The people that do not have 3g can leave and go to verizon and get it which will eventually show on these so called great numbers. They are fogetting about the people that are just waiting for their contract to expire so they can go get real 3g service and not have to deal with AT&T any longer. I for one do like AT&T but with no 3g service I can get it by switching to verizon when my contract is up. I just want to see these numbers again after there is a contract cycle, that will show how many people really are not that loyal to AT&T.

Just my .02
    I understand where you guys are coming from but I think you guys are missing the point of this article.. These are numbers on new sign-ups (correct me if I'm wrong). From that fact we can gather that people are still signing up for AT&T even with the option of going to Verizon instead.
    Last edited by DampDesigns; 04-20-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    I live in NYC and don't have any problem with my 3G using both JB and stock and have never use the bumper!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default ATT a strong value in mid to major markets
    Surprised that no one has brought up (IMHO) a big reason for new signups- $49 3GS model.
    Seriously, the average consumer doesn't care about the hype and unlimited data, they want an iPhone and $49 makes it a great bargain. Add to that ATT has cheaper rate plans and unlimited m2m make Total Cost of Ownership a better value than the competition.

Also ATT has faster 3G than Ver. where available.
    Last edited by rickinsav; 04-20-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added thought

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickinsav View Post
    Surprised that no one has brought up (IMHO) a big reason for new signups- $49 3GS model.
    Seriously, the average consumer doesn't care about the hype and unlimited data, they want an iPhone and $49 makes it a great bargain. Add to that ATT has cheaper rate plans and unlimited m2m make Total Cost of Ownership a better value than the competition.

Also ATT has faster 3G than Ver. where available.
    I was going to say the same... The average phone buyer doesn't care how much space it has, it's an iPhone!
    My service seemed to be better on Verizon when I lived south of buffalo, AT&T was somewhat spotty. Now I live in the city and t-mobile works for my needs.