Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Taking Frenemy Samsung to Court For 'Copying' iPhone, iPad Aesthetics

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Taking Frenemy Samsung to Court For 'Copying' iPhone, iPad Aesthetics

If Charlie Sheen seems more stable than Apple's attitude toward Samsung these days, you're not alone in that observation. Although Apple isn't "winning" as many lawsuits as it would prefer, nothing can deter Apple from its love of courtroom showdowns, the latest of which pits the venerable tech giant against its longtime friend/enemy Samsung.

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the filing from Apple reads.

When it comes down to specifics, Apple points to the apparent similarities between their iDevice line and Samsung's Galaxy S, Nexus S and Epic 4G smartphone. Indeed, there are some striking similarities. But it isn't yet clear how the legal system will - or can - address this subjective situation.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," Steve Jobs said when Apple went after HTC for similar intellectual property and patent infringements. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Of course, the irony of Apple's suit is that the company remains Samsung's largest customer - an arrangement that will likely persist throughout 2011. Apple is expected to cough up an estimated $7.8 billion this year alone on Samsung components for use in the iDevice line.

Source: Wall Street Journal

It seems like a weak infringement claim at best... I mean, is it really that easy to confuse a Samsung with an Apple product? if yes, the individual might have bigger problems...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BrutuSX For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (04-19-2011)

It's all about keeping the look of the brand. It's business.

yea this lawsuit seems like nonsense

It's all about the layout. Apple has that layout patented and it is clear Samsung devices pretty much match Apple's. There are several shots around of the Samsung whizui that looks exactly like iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It's all about the layout. Apple has that layout patented and it is clear Samsung devices pretty much match Apple's. There are several shots around of the Samsung whizui that looks exactly like iOS.
    Exactly. Apple has had a unique look and feel since day one, you cannot argue against that.

Fact is, if there was no iPhone, there would be no Android or most of these touch screen/tablets out there. You cannot argue that, since iPad has been the drive for like 99% of the competitors out there. iOS is based off of osx, which was out LONG before android was even conceptualized. And the fact that Android looked like blackberry's OS before Apple's iOS got popular, now suddenly has such a similar look, odd isn't it?

They have every right to sue them.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

If this is about samsung why do they have an ipad in the picture! lol
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robbpell For This Useful Post:

James360Petty (04-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    ????.....

Thanks

i bet samsung is like if you cant beat em copy em

Sure thats an iPad ?

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

Copycats

Ahhh the irony

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    Sure thats an iPad ?

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    he's trying to be funny which find funny as well since the samsung looks just like that iPad lol
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

make my day buddy lol
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

I must admit, I saw this coming as soon as I saw the UI Samsung uses.... not to mention the design aesthetics....

Samsung to Apple/Steve...relax will give you 50% off your memory purchase for the next 5 years for all idevices...

It's funny how Apple innovates, and everyone else tries to copy. This happens with all idevices, I mean the tablet market was horrible. It wasn't even mainstream, till the iPad. Now everyones trying to make tablets. Same with touch screen phones, yea there was a few out there. None like the iPhone, now there are hundreds. Apple's iPod, iPhone, and iPad have all been copied over & over the past few years by everyone. I think these other companies just try to come up with there own ideas, instead of copying what's working for Apple.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickaroni22 For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (04-19-2011), Megaorange (04-19-2011)

Apple making weak claims as usual

So what if it resembles another competitor, is Apple really that butthurt that someone else's product can't resemble theirs? I guess if it does bare a slight resemblance Apple won't be able to sell to their main audience of hipsters who pride themselves on being unlike anyone else

How pathetic.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't Samsung make chip for them?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast