Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Soon to be Top Camera on Flickr

Default iPhone 4 Soon to be Top Camera on Flickr

Currently, the most popular camera used to upload pictures to Flickr is the Nikon D90, a fine DSLR that costs over a thousand dollars. But in about a month or so, if trends continue, Apple’s iPhone 4 will take the lead as the most popular camera on Flickr. The Nikon D90 has been out for about three years now and has sold very well, but the iPhone 4, which has been out for under a year and is considerably less expensive, is about to take the top spot on Flickr.

It’s really not too surprising, however, as many people keep their iPhone’s with them most the time. A big, heavy, DSLR, may take much higher quality photos, but they can’t compete with the convenience of a smartphone. The iPhone’s camera has progressively gotten better and better over the years. Now the images produced with the iPhone 4 are really quite good, especially for a camera with a microscopic lens.

You would think that regular point and shoot cameras would be right at the top of the list on Flickr as well, but this is not the case. Point and shoot camera sales have actually been on the decline in recent years and the majority of camera manufactures may one day stop producing them altogether, if this trend continues.

The iPhone also takes the top three spots when it comes to the most popular camera phones, as well. The HTC Evo 4G and Droid Incredible round out the list at number four and five. Surprisingly, the older model iPhone 3G is in second place ahead of the 3GS model, even though it only has a two megapixel camera.

With so many cameras available today that are capable of taking great looking pictures, it’s not too surprising to find that convenience has trumped quality. Just about any point and shoot camera will deliver better image results than a smartphone, but who wants to carry an extra electronic device if you don’t have too. Professional photographer Chase Jarvis recently published a photography book where the only camera that he used was an iPhone. The book is aptly titled, “[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Best-Camera-One-Thats-You/dp/0321684788"]The Best Camera Is The One That's With You[/ame].” Flickr users would apparently agree.

Source: TechCrunch

Sweet! Good read.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 4 does really have nice camera.

i was just reading this over at gizmodo it will be the top camera once the iphone 5 comes out if it have a 8mp camera like the rumors say

I'm sure this has been said before but a high mp doesn't automatically make it a good picture

once the iphone 5 comes out if it have a 8mp camera like the rumors say
    ive been reading on some other blogs that there is a new rumour that onmivision will again be supplying its new chip supporting 12megapixles and 1080p video @60fps... whilst this sounds AMAZING i really hope we would get a considerable increase in storage! that would clog anyones phone in minuets!

i'm sure this has been said before but a high mp doesn't automatically make it a good picture
    yeah of corse, look at the 8mpx cameras on other smart-phones compared to the ip4's. but you know apple will make it AWESOME and i use my iphone all the time for photo's and the one thing its lacking is that higher bit of resolution to print or project larger! 12mpx or even 8 would be a much welcome/needed improvement!

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

hipstamatic

all i need to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryafc View Post
    ive been reading on some other blogs that there is a new rumour that onmivision will again be supplying its new chip supporting 12megapixles and 1080p video @60fps... whilst this sounds AMAZING i really hope we would get a considerable increase in storage! that would clog anyones phone in minuets!
    You can always decrease quality to lower MP!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harryafc View Post
    12MP and 1080p @ 60fps? And where did you read that nonsense? I've not seen anything so outlandish on any respectable gadget sites. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    You can always decrease quality to lower MP!
    What? I think you mean increase MP to decrease quality. With less light available to each pixel, quality becomes inversely proportional to resolution on tiny camera sensors.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 04-18-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone 4 camera is amazing... on the phone's screen, On a normal computer screen, its shockingly sh!t
    what happens on iPhone, stays on iPhone lol
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    The iPhone 4 camera is amazing... on the phone's screen, On a normal computer screen, its shockingly sh!t
    what happens on iPhone, stays on iPhone lol
    I remember way back when i had my little vga 0.3mp camera phone and i would email the pics to my computer and be amazed..... now we're just plain spoiled haha

Thanks

"You would think that regular point and shoot cameras would be right at the top of the list on Flickr as well, but this is not the case. Point and shoot camera sales have actually been on the decline in recent years and the majority of camera manufactures may one day stop producing them altogether, if this trend continues."

I doubt it, if for one fact, who wants to have your "camera" ring when you're trying to compose a shot? In other words, there is much to be said for having a dedicated camera, and nothing will ever replace that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    i was just reading this over at gizmodo it will be the top camera once the iphone 5 comes out if it have a 8mp camera like the rumors say
    Do yourself a favor and ditch Gizmodo. They are judgmental, pompous people and rarely ever actually 'report' anything.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I like Gizmodo
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

cocotherat (04-18-2011)

Thanks

@Lombardo Joe, the same as far as reporting could be said about mmi.

As for the iPhone 4's cam, it's more about convenience. I also own a DSLR, but carrying isn't bad. IMO, the bad part is having to carry multiple lenses in order to get that perfect shot.

....has nothing to do with modifying my i device....

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it really matters which camera is at the top and my iPhone 4 camera is very good on my iPhone. The droids suck even if they have 8 MP cameras. All of the iPhones beet the droids because droids should die.

CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Do yourself a favor and ditch Gizmodo. They are judgmental, pompous people and rarely ever actually 'report' anything.

The same is true about MMi. Gtfo -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Lol much like your post.... judgmental, pompous and 100% opinion.

The line: " Point and shoot camera sales have actually been on the decline in recent years and the majority of camera manufactures may one day stop producing them altogether, if this trend continues." is one of the dumbest things I have read on mmi. So basically you're saying a person's only options, if your ridiculous statement rings true, is a phone camera or a DSLR.

Maybe you should stick to facts in your reporting and leave the outlandish speculation to MR or The National Enquirer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
    I don't think it really matters which camera is at the top and my iPhone 4 camera is very good on my iPhone. The droids suck even if they have 8 MP cameras. All of the iPhones beet the droids because droids should die.
    Can't see how anyone can argue with that well thought out fact based argument.
    Last edited by rkswat; 04-18-2011 at 10:16 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Lol much like your post.... judgmental, pompous and 100% opinion.
    It is possible for it to be fact that something is judgmental. My saying that they are judgmental isn't a judgmental statement when it has been proven in the past in the Gizmodo community. I'm a starred user there, and I know what is going on. Unless you are as well and can enlighten me, please keep your trolling at bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast