+ Reply
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Next Bill Cycle: 05/01/2011 Data (MB): 10276.4 of Unlimited Messaging: 260 of Unlimited My usage as of this post. Also android phone can be thethered by flashing the ROM
    iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

Next Bill Cycle: 05/01/2011
    Data (MB): 10276.4 of Unlimited
    Messaging: 260 of Unlimited

My usage as of this post.

Also android phone can be thethered by flashing the ROM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightWraith View Post
    The only way they will give you the Microcell or discount it is if your contract is up and you threaten to switch to Verizon. Well maybe not the only way. My buddies contract is up and he called and did that they gave him a coupon for it for free. Mine isn't and they said no they only give it to people they send it to in the mail because AT&T has noted the area as a bad area. I have to stand in the window of the upstairs loft to make a phone call with one bar from my house. I asked how that's not a bad signal area. No answer on that.
    A friend of mine could not get a signal and they gave him one for free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just got the text last friday, the only thing i want know is what should i do know ? Keep use mywi or stop it ,anyone can help me?.........

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Sad
    I am guilty but not going down without a fight. I got a letter in the mail today regarding this matter. Says they will change my rate plan on the 16th. Hopefully i can weasle my way out of this one. If they do this I will certainly leave AT&T. I will miss my iPhone. But there are other good phones out there. Sad for them. They will actually be losing a valued customer and a few contracts. Not a big fan of control freak Nazis.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michoolyoung View Post
    I got 2 for free

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

OOOHHHH CANADAAAAAAAAA and free tethering on all data plans. Including WiFi hotspot. All free

Thanks

yea but

Thanks

Canada is the best country in the world? I know.

lol lets not hijack the thread :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    Canada is the best country in the world? I know.

lol lets not hijack the thread :P
    lmao

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
    Lol your right no one is tethering.
    Poor grammar, rude & sarcastic - you still want us to believe you don't work for AT&T???

I wasn't saying nobody is tethering. I was saying that unless you work in AT&T's tethering-detection department, how could you know that most people receiving these messages are tethering?
    Apple estimates only a small percentage of iPhone owners jailbreak. If that's true, I bet most people being targeted are simply heavy data users.

P.S. you are = you're. "your" is possessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joedogg2112 View Post
    I jailbroke my iPhone 4 once and tried it for awhile and did not like it, it caused apps that I used to not work right and other things so I restored and since I did I have no issues with anything, I updated my phone and got the 4 gig a month tethering data plan and have no problems
    Come on AT&T - how stupid do you think we are? At least make these posts a bit more believable!
    Last edited by csglinux; 04-11-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Please play nice!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Ooooooh grammer nazi. kin eye play!!!??

"...sarcastic - you still want...". u shud have used an em dash. it shud have bin "...sarcastic—you still want..."

duh. noob. kthnxbye.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I got that same message 3 days ago and called them and told them I use Netflix from my Iphone, and That if they change my unlimited data without my consent, I will file another Law sue agaist AT&T

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Play nice!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember when Cingular went to GSM, I had to buy a new phone and get a new plan.... I am thinking that when 4G hits..... We might all lose our "unlimited" data....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

I'm not sure that making a change to a different type like to GSM is the same as one updating to a 4G device to use 4G. Kind of like the iPhone 2G to 3G when 3G network came out. But with the way AT&T is doing things who knows

iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

well... i plan to stop come April 15th to meet/beat the April 16th deadline... see how this all plays out... then after a short break... I'll see what kind of data usage i can get by streaming Pandora while i sleep or anytime my phone is plugged in
    "Search" is your friend

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michoolyoung View Post
    See that's just not fair. . I wish they would have a plan on who gets one or two in stealths case and stick to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Tethering is not stealing that's the problem. Tethering is a switch.

One cannot steal if nothing is stolen. I have read over and over AT&T "gives in" after people call and argue.
    If AT&T truly had a strong Case they would never give in. Fact is they go to court they must prove something was stolen.
    We pay for the service
    We pay for the data
    Tethering fee is a double charge Junk fee and AT&T knows it.

Some of us are brave enough to tell AT&T to shove it

But as for the mods and site I would hope they would do something about people calling others thieves, just say. AT&T has the right to charge the fee blah blah but leave a poster out of it. There are two sides to a conflict each side believes they are right.
    I completely agree. If you think about it this way, you already pay to use the data. Wether it be on your phone or on your tethered ipad/laptop does it matter? You are still using the same data. You are paying AT&T to enable a function on your phone so you can tether the phone to something else. So if you find another way or pay someone else (as in MyWi) to enable that functionality and still use the data you are paying for does it matter? The data is still being used regardless.

Now I am on an Unlimited data plan still and I only use about 1.6 Gb/month so even with tethering to a WiFi iPad or to a laptop, I still only use about the same amount of data. I don't use my phone for my primary connection. I use it when I visit my parents who do not have internet and want to tether my laptop to watch a TV show online or want to surf the forums. So we are not talking about a high demand or usage of tethering. I do not want to pay $20 extra/month just to have the ability to use it when my usage is extremely low. A one time payment of $20 for that ability is acceptable to me for my usage. Anything more than that is highway robbery.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    That isn't theft of services because you're allowed to modify your car any way you see fit unless it presents a safety issue to yourself or other drivers on the road. Since heated seat options likely wouldn't present that problem then nobody will care if you retrofitted heated seats into your car, especially if your car was already wired for them.
    You mean, like a phone that is already "wired" for tethering capability? A capability that can be turned on with a software, "switch"?

Technically the iPhone didn't come with the ability to tether with version 3.0.0 because the BenM.at mod that people did which signed a different carrier package, thus allowing tethering,
    No native tethering of any kind was available in the iphone before 3.0.0, not even with the BenM.at mod. This fact forces me to conclude that tethering capability was put there by Apple beginning with 3.0.0, to be turned on at the carrier's discretion. All the BenM.at mod did was to make the "settings>general>network>internet tethering" toggle that was made part of the 3.0.0 firmware, visible to users who applied the mod. Further, they also gave out the APN's required to configure the tethering. Same as tetherme does for those of us with 4.x.x. It's not an aftermarket app like mywi, it simply turns on the iphone's native tethering capability. if you look at the file size of tetherme, it's like 40k or so.

-peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 04-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.