+ Reply
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by dannyben I'm sure I'll be censored or banned for NOT agreeing with the forum admins / owners, (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    I'm sure I'll be censored or banned for NOT agreeing with the forum admins / owners, (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of this talk or encouragement to steal) but...

Can someone please explain why the talk of stealing service and fees to ATT or Verizon, without paying them for their tethering service is permitted (and even encouraged) here, but yet a slight mention of "crack" gets you banned.

Personally, they are both WRONG & BOTH are theft of services. Why the double standard? The talk of apps like mywi are no different then those of ones like inst**ous. They BOTH are apps that take $$$$ out of the pockets of people who deserve to be compensated.
    Tethering is not stealing that's the problem. Tethering is a switch.

One cannot steal if nothing is stolen. I have read over and over AT&T "gives in" after people call and argue.
    If AT&T truly had a strong Case they would never give in. Fact is they go to court they must prove something was stolen.
    We pay for the service
    We pay for the data
    Tethering fee is a double charge Junk fee and AT&T knows it.

Some of us are brave enough to tell AT&T to shove it

But as for the mods and site I would hope they would do something about people calling others thieves, just say. AT&T has the right to charge the fee blah blah but leave a poster out of it. There are two sides to a conflict each side believes they are right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MYPHONEI For This Useful Post:

Yrjan (04-12-2011)

Thanks

Tethering is, I believe, specifically excluded from your plan.
    You are therefore breaking the terms of your contract and AT&T specifically say they reserve the right add any necessary data plan.
    If you are tethering I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
    If you are not tethering then they don't have a leg to stand on.
    It seems fairly straight forward to me - or have I missed something?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I have had unlimited data since the first gen iPhone, and in the past 2 years have averaged ~32gb a month ( That was when I got my new job and started using PDANet/MyWi heavily ) . I am up to 17gb today, with 16 days left in my billing cycle. I didn't receive any of the other rounds of messages here, just the last one. Not sure what it means that I didn't receive the others, considering my usage hasn't varied at all from then to now. Sounds more like they just have a long list and are sending them out in waves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks like Android users aren't receiving these messages yet.

http://androidandme.com/2011/03/carr...could-be-next/

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are people on family plans receiving these message's?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    I'm sure I'll be censored or banned for NOT agreeing with the forum admins / owners, (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of this talk or encouragement to steal) but...

Can someone please explain why the talk of stealing service and fees to ATT or Verizon, without paying them for their tethering service is permitted (and even encouraged) here, but yet a slight mention of "crack" gets you banned.

Personally, they are both WRONG & BOTH are theft of services. Why the double standard? The talk of apps like mywi are no different then those of ones like inst**ous. They BOTH are apps that take $$$$ out of the pockets of people who deserve to be compensated.
    Its not just about tethering. It's about legitimate users who use apps like netflix/pandora who are getting these messages as well. This is leading people to believe att is on a data witch hunt for heavy data users. Tethering is only one way that large amounts of data can be consumed.

P.S. I just wish I could swap my unlimited plan from my i4 to my ipad2. I barely use any data at all on my i4.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (04-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't understand how some of you use so much data. I tether the crap out of my phone to play World of Warcraft, watch Netflix, MLB.TV, download tons of podcasts, and plenty of other stuff and here is my usage:

Oct-Nov 4.50 GB
    Nov-Dec 3.44 GB
    Dec-Jan 2.35 GB
    Jan-Feb 5.14 GB
    Feb-Mar 5.80 GB

Still no e-mail, text, or letter. Last name begins with D.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    I'm sure others have said the same thing already, but the difference is that warez/cracks are copyright infringement and tethering on a data plan that doesn't allow tethering is a breach of the provider's terms of service. One is illegal, the other is breaking a contract, respectively.

The main reason unauthorized tethering isn't frowned upon much is because you've already paid for the data plan. Somehow, AT&T feels they're entitled for more money for megabytes used on a computer versus megabytes used on your iPhone - even though they're the same megabytes and use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of what device they're being transferred to. It's like a gas station charging you more money per gallon for the same 87 octane gas, because you're putting it into an SUV instead of a Prius.
    Not necessarily. If you're tethering to a computer, you're more likely to use more data because you're able to view Flash, download files, torrent, etc. But with me, I mostly tether to my iPad. Rarely ever bring my computer out of the house. So I'm basically using data on the same device with a bigger screen. I'm not using up any more data tethering than I would on my phone. So screw AT&T if they think I'm gonna pay more for the convenience of a larger screen.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

I think if At-T is going to nit pick about data usage, then everyone that doesn't use every last kb each month on a 2g or 200mb plan, should get every last kb rolled over to the next month. They do it with your minutes, I'm sure they COULD do it with your data.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slap690 For This Useful Post:

Brr (04-11-2011), scottw03 (04-12-2011), Yrjan (04-12-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slap690 View Post
    I think if At-T is going to nit pick about data usage, then everyone that doesn't use every last kb each month on a 2g or 200mb plan, should get every last kb rolled over to the next month. They do it with your minutes, I'm sure they COULD do it with your data.
    Very good point!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slap690 View Post
    The whole reason ATT is doing all of this is because they have oversold their network. If they let you keep that data, then usage would go up. Their network can barely handle the current throughput let alone if they upped the monthly data allotments (which is what rolling over the unused bandwidth would amount to).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I received the email last week and called them. I asked what proof they had. I do not tether, I just use hulu/netflix/pandora like crazy. I told them if they try to change my plan they better show me some proof. I also said I know that if they do not advise you with 1 billing cycle notice that they are now in breach of contract and I can cancel and head over to big red. Last resort but I'm tired of them hounding on me about data. Last 6 months I have averaged 18-20g of data and they are like little Indian givers....I pay for unlimited, I better damn well get it. Has anyone who has received this txt/email kept tethering past the date given to them? Just wondering if this is truly just a big att bluff or what?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muniyaz View Post
    I received the email last week and called them. I asked what proof they had. I do not tether, I just use hulu/netflix/pandora like crazy. I told them if they try to change my plan they better show me some proof. I also said I know that if they do not advise you with 1 billing cycle notice that they are now in breach of contract and I can cancel and head over to big red. Last resort but I'm tired of them hounding on me about data. Last 6 months I have averaged 18-20g of data and they are like little Indian givers....I pay for unlimited, I better damn well get it. Has anyone who has received this txt/email kept tethering past the date given to them? Just wondering if this is truly just a big att bluff or what?
    So what happened? Did they not charge your plan?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Tethering is not stealing that's the problem. Tethering is a switch.

One cannot steal if nothing is stolen. I have read over and over AT&T "gives in" after people call and argue.
    If AT&T truly had a strong Case they would never give in. Fact is they go to court they must prove something was stolen.
    We pay for the service
    We pay for the data
    Tethering fee is a double charge Junk fee and AT&T knows it.

Some of us are brave enough to tell AT&T to shove it
    Well put.
    My latest theme - -

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They gave me until 4/16/11 to stop something I'm not doing...that's why I'm curious about the first round customers who received these messages

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I used to push quite a bit of data. I have backed off since my wireless has gotten faster and I can use that instead when I am home. I do stream pandora, SiriusXM, and HuluPlus which consume quite a bit of data.

I think the DNS entries are probably a big detector but I sell a VPN service to some people I know that allows their iPhones to encrypt all traffic between their devices to my server and then access things through there which hides any DNS request and TCP signature they may be using. All they see is a SSL connection

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

good info kyle thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Maybe they are doing it based on regions? Just tossing that possibility out there...

I consistantly use around 6-9 GB a month using NetFlix and Pandora and have yet to receive a message at all. I'm sure I will be receiving a message or two in the upcoming months/weeks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

I got An email from them a text massage and a letter on the mail as well lol it really pisses me off I almost pay 100 bucks for their plan and they Want me to pay 45 buck more? Ojala que se pudran en el infierno los hijos de su puta madre de AT$T

Thanks

im so happy i dont have to go through this bs.. as i have a unlimited data plan which is capped at 1 mbps for 26 bucks a month which at times doesnt give me good coverage but is good enough .. just hate the point its the only wireless carrier here.. i remember once i did 75 gig's in 1 month i was like omfg haha
    Last edited by fmlouder; 04-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.