+ Reply
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by i.Annie Nice write-up, really informative. It truly is a hunt for unlimited data users who uses more than 5GB. Those on the capped plan already won't be
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Nice write-up, really informative. It truly is a hunt for unlimited data users who uses more than 5GB. Those on the capped plan already won't be targeted whether tethering or not bc they have to pay $10 per gig after using up 2GB anyway so AT&T could care less about them. It isn't about tethering. I think AT&T really just wants to kill unlimited data off as much as possible. Thanks for the info.
    I think this, plus trying to alleviate congestion on their network through extra charges (trying to change user behavior with the stick rather than the carrot) is a major, if not only, motivation for this recent wave.

No offense to Cowboy or his employers, but I believe AT&T isn't smart enough to look at the few tipoffs (and there are a few, all I can think of were mentioned in this article or its predecessor) that can't be dodged with preparation or spoofing on the user's end--they're just looking at the data hogs and are trying to cull the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    In our contract with ATT, under iPhone and Certain Other Devices says:

I agree that ATT may add required plans to my account and bill me the appropriate monthly fee if I use an iPhone or other device that has plan requirements.

So if they do it, we all going to have to pay the early termination fee agreement $325.00 to cancel the contract. But I tell you what, I will pay it without think about it.
    And there goes the "contract change = free exit" hole. I bet that clause has been there since 2007 at least. Possibly unenforceable, but it'd take a whole lotta time and money to get it to a venue where'd you would have a chance of winning the case (you'd have to bring the suit in AT&T-land in Houston County, Texas) with competent lawyers to beat back AT&T's.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I just want somene to write a guide on how install and set up OpenVPN on a Tomato or DDWRT router so that I can use a VPN tunneling application and not worry about ANY of that.
    Wouldn't do squat against aggregate data monitoring on AT&T's end. Apparently it doesn't matter (or we haven't found the pattern) where your data is going, just the amount. 25 GB over AT&T's spectrum to Netflix over your iPhone directly, over your tethered laptop, or to your home router via VPN then onto Netflix is still 25 GB of data, which is what AT&T appears to be latching down on.

Simple economics, folks. 30/month for unlimited data (let's say 5 GB safely), or 45/month (since a tethering plan automatically revokes your unlimited data) for 4 GB and 10/month per GB after that, rounded up?

This is a screwjob. Nothing less. I expect this from Verizon... wait; come June 30th or so, it'll end up like this there too I bet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famoussasjohn View Post
    I have an unlimited plan, and have yet to receive a message from em. I will laugh at them and never change my plan. They force me to, I will be more than happy to cancel my agreement with them forcing a change in my original agreement. (never used any tethering apps)
    u do know u can't cancel without them charging the early termination. I have had the text and talked with the cs . they see it as YOU broke agreement of contract by tethering.( if u wanna spend the $$$$ and fight them in court have at it) so they accused u and honestly don't. know how they can prove it but ur measly salary can't trump att in court. just saying

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its not a witch hunt lol, come on this is ATT were talking about.. they dont do witch hunts, they just start billing you and let you sort it out after the fact.

This is just one of their innocuous, sporadically generated txt messages, err, veiled ad disguised as a helpful txt. I got the exact same txt 3 or 4 years ago on my blackjack 2. Just delete it and go on about your tethering.

Thanks

I must say this is a rather crappy move on AT&T's part. I'd venture to say that for every person who uses 5+GB's there are 5 unlimited subscribers using less than 1GB. No stats to back that up, but I know far to many people who are grandfathered in and only make calls, text, and fb.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by capufo View Post
    I'm amazed, At&t never had a problem when it came to making people get the unlimited mandatory Internet plan, when the iPhone 3G came out. So no matter
    If u had 3G or not you were still been charged
    For it as long as u had an iPhone. It took them 3 years since them to out 3G service around my area and there still many towns out there with no 3G and they are been charged for that service every single month. But Att doesn't seen to have a problem with that. Regardless if u use it or not. But them they get all bitxhy with those who use their Internet plans as they were meant to be unlimited .
    You know what, I never really thought about that. We recently (Dec 2010) got 3G in and around my town in NC and I got my iPhone 3G in September 2008. We had slow as EDGE in my town for those two years. Because it was so slow and most of the time timed out for alot of different things like just trying to access my bank account online, I pretty much never even used the internet while I was away from home. Pretty much only used it when I was on WIFI since EDGE was painfully slow.

I want my 2 and 2 months worth of Data money ($30/month), a total of $780, back since AT&T was not able to provide me the service I was paying for in my location. Yeah, I doubt I ever see that back. But it might be a good point to bring up with them when they start arguing about "tethering" definitions on the phone with me for Netflix and Pandora.

Hell, if I get it, I am cancelling my account, getting myself a iPad 32Gb 3G on Verizon and getting a Skype account with a phone number or a Google Voice account. I hate talking on the phone as it is and I use my phone for more data related stuff than voice. Watch my $160 phone plan drop quite a bit. Verizon 3GB dataplan only $35/month. I use about 1.6 GB most of the time. Then just have my wife's phone plan.
    Last edited by scottw03; 04-11-2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    I'm sure I'll be censored or banned for NOT agreeing with the forum admins / owners, (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of this talk or encouragement to steal) but...

Can someone please explain why the talk of stealing service and fees to ATT or Verizon, without paying them for their tethering service is permitted (and even encouraged) here, but yet a slight mention of "crack" gets you banned.

Personally, they are both WRONG & BOTH are theft of services. Why the double standard? The talk of apps like mywi are no different then those of ones like inst**ous. They BOTH are apps that take $$$$ out of the pockets of people who deserve to be compensated.
    You're not stealing a service. You've paid for the data and it's still coming through on your phone, where the data goes after reaching your phone is your business.
    Even on capped plans, you pay for your 5GB (or whatever) of data up front whether you use 1KB or 5GB. AT&T have been paid for their service. Tethering is not an additional service or cost to At&t. Your phone is still the device using the data you've paid for.
    However, downloading a cracked app means no one gets paid. See the difference?

To be honest, charging for tethering is like if ISP's charged you extra to use a Wifi router.

Thanks

Can't wait for the result article, thanks for the great info.

Thanks

Here in the UK there has never been 'unlimited' data.
    Most tariffs specifically exclude Tethering/Streaming/VoIP
    You can pay extra to have a plan that enables tethering/streaming data and more again for VoIP.
    The mobile data network was never designed for lots of data - it was designed when very few phones accessed the internet and for sending small amounts of data to a small screen.
    With 3G the situation improved, with Edge one user could hog all the channels effectively blocking a tower from servicing other customers. due to channel/time slice restrictions.
    While this has improved with 3G the system still relies on time slicing and tethering and streaming have very different usage patterns (It was a long time ago I was shown some stats from Deep Packet Inspection used by UK providers and it's very easy to tell streaming and tethering from other types of data usage. It appears that the US carriers are way behind UK carriers in their data usage analysis and they are using very crude analysis.

People using vast amounts of data (most plans in the UK are limited to 512Mb or 1Gb) will be causing network congestion for other people - it is an intrinsic problem of mobile data networks and almost impossible for AT&T or anyone else to counter without data caps.

Tethering is excluded from plans for a reason - if you are tethering it will be causing network problems which is why they charge more.

I was always surprised that AT&T had 'unlimited' data and the amounts of data some people use on a system that was never designed for it.

Personally, I pay extra (22/month for calls/texts/MMS and data) for a 3Gb limit which allows tethering and streaming and the only time I've exceeded it was when my home broadband was out of action. Mobile data networks were never designed to replace broadband, only supplement it on your phone when you don't have access to a proper network.

AT&T seem to have set unrealistic expectation levels and going after people who use a lot of data when that is what the promised is wrong. But charging people who tether is acceptable IMHO provided it was excluded (as I believe it was) from your agreement.

I'm sure this will run and run....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good question. I wonder that too. If it really is about tethering then I don't think android users will (well I don't know if android has third party tethering tools...)

It seems to just be looking like it is flat out for people who use a lot of data whether it is with tethering or not. So android users *should* get the notice too if they use a lot of data.
    Yes, a lot of Android devices offer tethering, and have been for a long time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

As always, kyle's stories are the best! Now on a serious note, this is absolutely terrible for the community that ATT is doing this they have unlimited data plans for a reason leave them be!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is going to have trouble pushing cloud storage and services to people with capped data. I streamed a movie off my computer using the StreamToMe app over 3G. I estimated that I was using ~250Mb/hour.

I'm on the 2Gb plan, and I use Mywi, but no text/email yet. But my tethering is exclusively with my iPad and my kids' iPods. I doubt the data usage on those will raise any red flags.

Thanks

I really doubt it's based off strictly Data usage alone.

Last month I used 16.9GB of data, and most months are about the same. I watch NetFlix all day at work, so it eats up a good bit of bandwith and have yet to get a text message about tethering.

ca3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    I am grandfathered into the unlimited data on my i4 and have not received any text... yet... I use roughly 1gb per month... Haven't experienced any issues on 4.2.1... just sayin
    i havent either an i use 1.5, i might go by usage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iAppleHack View Post
    AT&T Really needs too inform there technical support on what tethering is. When I called, the tech didn't really understand what tethering is, I had too explain most of it too him!
    Now let me explain TO you the difference between "TO" and "TOO!"

Lol j/k

Nahhhh I'm not

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    You're not stealing a service. You've paid for the data and it's still coming through on your phone, where the data goes after reaching your phone is your business.
    Even on capped plans, you pay for your 5GB (or whatever) of data up front whether you use 1KB or 5GB. AT&T have been paid for their service. Tethering is not an additional service or cost to At&t. Your phone is still the device using the data you've paid for.
    However, downloading a cracked app means no one gets paid. See the difference?

To be honest, charging for tethering is like if ISP's charged you extra to use a Wifi router.
    /thread

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Jaze For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (04-11-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

My question is this, I don't see anything in my contract about tethering.. Does anyone else see wording related to the separation of phone data and tethering data? I feel that when push comes to shove that AT&T will end up in a class action lawsuit and be forced to allow those grandfathered into unlimited data plans to unlimited tethering.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good question. I wonder that too. If it really is about tethering then I don't think android users will (well I don't know if android has third party tethering tools...)

It seems to just be looking like it is flat out for people who use a lot of data whether it is with tethering or not. So android users *should* get the notice too if they use a lot of data.
    Android phones can be "rooted" to give the user root access to the phone like jailbreaking an iPhone, and can then create "unofficial" wireless hotspots like mywi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm on an AT&T Premier account, too. All phones on family plan have unlimited data. No warning messages from AT&T yet because I don't think any of us hit 5/GB month.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have yet to get a text msg and i mywi all the time for my gf's ipad and my laptop.. the laptop not nearly as often except for on vacations. My unlimited dataplan usage for the past 6 months:
    Nov 10 - 6.2GB
    Dec 10 - 7GB
    Jan 11 - 6GB
    Feb 11 - 4.7GB
    Mar 11 - 2.1GB
    Apr 11 - 8.7GB

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I kept my unlimited data plan as well and have not received a notice (yet). The most data I've used in a month though, is 1.2GB.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad