+ Reply
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by thetoothfairy What gets me is for all of these years there was not much done about it but all of a sudden they are trying to do
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    What gets me is for all of these years there was not much done about it but all of a sudden they are trying to do something about it... Yes we all know that there are people using tons and tons of data however its never going to stop. I have been on computers since dos which was many years ago and when data plans started these kind of problems started....

Its like a cycle.... one time to much data, then minutes, then data next it will be minutes...
    You make a very valid point. I agree. With the way things are going, we just have to face it, get mad (or not lol for some), accept it, and move on. Nothing much we can do about both large companies like AT&T or the customers who may or may not use a lot of data. It's just the way things are unfortunately.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    Can someone please explain why the talk of stealing service and fees to ATT or Verizon, without paying them for their tethering service is permitted (and even encouraged) here, but yet a slight mention of "crack" gets you banned.
    I'm sure others have said the same thing already, but the difference is that warez/cracks are copyright infringement and tethering on a data plan that doesn't allow tethering is a breach of the provider's terms of service. One is illegal, the other is breaking a contract, respectively.

The main reason unauthorized tethering isn't frowned upon much is because you've already paid for the data plan. Somehow, AT&T feels they're entitled for more money for megabytes used on a computer versus megabytes used on your iPhone - even though they're the same megabytes and use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of what device they're being transferred to. It's like a gas station charging you more money per gallon for the same 87 octane gas, because you're putting it into an SUV instead of a Prius.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gotanmp3 For This Useful Post:

GrecoISU (04-11-2011), i.Annie (04-10-2011), Sol Munition (04-14-2011), thetoothfairy (04-11-2011), Yrjan (04-12-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use mywi rarely. I mostly download movies from the thebigu.info. I might use 500mb to tether and about 10 gig to download movies to my phone using download manger lite. Well I got a email and a text from att. Well I called them and told them I don't tether and that I just download movies. They said the email has nothing to do with how much data I use and it's that I was or was tethering. Well I called a second time and this time they said that anybody over 6 gig is getting flagged. I ask them when did it say I was tethering. They said they did not know

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I like your explanation. It makes a lot of sense. Better said than mine thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    I'm sure others have said the same thing already, but the difference is that warez/cracks are copyright infringement and tethering on a data plan that doesn't allow tethering is a breach of the provider's terms of service. One is illegal, the other is breaking a contract, respectively.

The main reason unauthorized tethering isn't frowned upon much is because you've already paid for the data plan. Somehow, AT&T feels they're entitled for more money for megabytes used on a computer versus megabytes used on your iPhone - even though they're the same megabytes and use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of what device they're being transferred to. It's like a gas station charging you more money per gallon for the same 87 octane gas, because you're putting it into an SUV instead of a Prius.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (04-11-2011), thetoothfairy (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    I'm currently on day 9 of 30 and already over 4GB of data. Haven't received any meesage since the first round. I have MyWi but rarely use it but I use Netflix and Pandora alot.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You make a very valid point. I agree. With the way things are going, we just have to face it, get mad (or not lol for some), accept it, and move on. Nothing much we can do about both large companies like AT&T or the customers who may or may not use a lot of data. It's just the way things are unfortunately.
    As long as there is data plans there will be data hogs..... however AT&T knows this so maybe they should do something to improve their own situation like creating a network than can actually provide the amount of data they sell or offered when the iPhone came out.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

CZroe (04-11-2011)

Thanks

I got this message last week and i only did 2 gigs all of march. I'm running 3.1.2.

For Android people... you get re-directed to buy tethering when you try to use the built in feature. There are tethering apps on the marketplace like Tetherme or something like that. BUT here is where it gets fun. AT&T Filters the marketplace So you cannot find a tethering app. Even when you are on WiFi. Here is the workaround: Power off Remove your sim. Power on. connect to wifi the marketplace your now unfiltered apps. Then reverse and it lets you keep and use the tether apps.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mookest For This Useful Post:

Brr (04-11-2011), Yrjan (04-12-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I just want somene to write a guide on how install and set up OpenVPN on a Tomato or DDWRT router so that I can use a VPN tunneling application and not worry about ANY of that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

Shoot! I think I blow the roof off that and they haven't spoken to me at all. Then again, I'm on a premier account through my employer.
    I think I hit around 30 gig/ month. Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got that text too, If they mess around I'm going to spring Evo

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

As long as there is data plans there will be data hogs..... however AT&T knows this so maybe they should do something to improve their own situation like creating a network than can actually provide the amount of data they sell or offered when the iPhone came out.
    This, and it should apply to wired ISPs just the same. For example, any additional capacity they create gets used to market things like "speed boost" which only help mainstream users buffer their YouTube videos faster at your expense. Traffic shaping is evil. Data caps are stifling future Internet uses before they can even exist. The lack of net neutrality is doing the same thing to the less popular services. Look at the uproar everytime WoW update changes the packet signature of WoW traffic and then understand that every other MMO that ever hopes to compete with WoW would have to pay off ISPs with money they haven't earned yet if they expect equal treatment and all the other games and such suffer as a result. If I want to play my old copy of Quake III Arena that no ISP cares about anymore, WoW and YouTube prioritization would probably make it a more miserable experience than when I first got my cable modem in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by gdd2010 View Post
    Shoot! I think I blow the roof off that and they haven't spoken to me at all. Then again, I'm on a premier account through my employer.
    I think I hit around 30 gig/ month. Lol
    They're proably busy plotting your assasination and don't want to tip you off.
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-11-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know what the big deal is with AT&T with this... they wanted to be the giant! Sprint offers soooooooo much and they aren't complaining. I know AT&T has more customers however that is what they wanted....

Apple should have made their own network so we didn't have to deal with anyone but them with their products is how I feel... lol
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 04-11-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Next Bill Cycle: 04/19/2011
    Data (MB): 10435.8 of Unlimited
    Messaging: 9035 of Unlimited

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am worried when the iPhone 5 comes out it will come with a mandatory data plan that is not unlimited. That way they can slowly desolve these unlimited plans by pitting them against new devices.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm amazed, At&t never had a problem when it came to making people get the unlimited mandatory Internet plan, when the iPhone 3G came out. So no matter
    If u had 3G or not you were still been charged
    For it as long as u had an iPhone. It took them 3 years since them to out 3G service around my area and there still many towns out there with no 3G and they are been charged for that service every single month. But Att doesn't seen to have a problem with that. Regardless if u use it or not. But them they get all bitxhy with those who use their Internet plans as they were meant to be unlimited .

20. The Following User Says Thank You to capufo For This Useful Post:

scottw03 (04-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't know what the big deal is with AT&T with this... they wanted to be the giant! Sprint offers soooooooo much and they aren't complaining. I know AT&T has more customers however that is what they wanted....

Apple should have made their own network so we didn't have to deal with anyone but them with their products is how I feel... lol
    I agree so much with you, apple should have invested on their own network but them again no one knew that the iPhone was going to revolutionize the phone market.

Thanks

I have a friend that works for AT&T, he has told me that he's pretty sure they know who's jailbroken and who isnt. This may have something to do with the use of MyWi, My3G. My3G allows you to download large apps from the app store, facetime on 3G uses 3mb a minute Ive read. MyWi is def a data hog! I use Netflix, and now MLB at bat 11, and I use a SlingBox, I've used 5.6gb as of now. I havent heard anything from AT&T as of yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drewstone View Post
    i say screw 'em (At&T) only due to the fact that their service sucks. Yeah, i tether, but i also have a Verizon Mifi, and if they give me crap about it, ill e-mail them the bill from Verizon and tell them to kiss my *****. my contract is up soon anyway, so if they wanna change my contract, go for it, i don't care.
    ATT service sucks I get dropped calls all day especially during those good conversations. Anyway, ATT needs to update there towers just for the iPhone, so data hungry users have more options and better coverage. Customers is always right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What about the people with the iPad unlimited data plan running on the iphone 4??? There are no texting plan nor voice on the iPad.. so how are they going to text me or let me know? Besides all iPad billing are on monthly automatic transactions, they can't just hike the bill and charge me without my consent...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if location has a factor in these messages. Maybe they are sending those messages out to people in average to below average areas trying to scare them. That way there is more data to go around once the hysteria kicks in.
    Its just a thought...
    Last edited by iFrosty; 04-11-2011 at 02:04 AM.