+ Reply
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by broncosi That's tethering though? Using your phones data connection on another device, ie your tv Displaying the iPhone screen on a TV is not even close to
    Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
    That's tethering though? Using your phones data connection on another device, ie your tv
    Displaying the iPhone screen on a TV is not even close to the definition of tethering. Same for sending audio to a headset (cable attached or bluetooth). That is so far away from the definition of tethering ... it's ridiculous!!! Streaming to an AppleTV might be considered tethering --- although that is a stretch. A TV, headset, and bluetooth headset does NOT use the internet.

AT&T wants money ... and they'll tell you any lie or stretch of the imagination to get it.

Tethering is a method to share the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering
    Last edited by Mes; 04-24-2011 at 08:49 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

I am telling you for a fact that according to AT&T streaming netflix onto your tv from your iphone is considered tethering.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it also tethering according to AT&T is I stream my music to my headphones from my iphone?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stagnant9 View Post
    Is it also tethering according to AT&T is I stream my music to my headphones from my iphone?
    I am telling you for a fact that according to AT&T streaming netflix onto your tv from your iphone is considered tethering.
    The key was 'according to AT&T' .....
    Any expert "not employed by AT&T" will tell you completely different. Can't even get there by stretching the truth.

It's time for a class action law-suit.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-24-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Why? They haven't changed a single plan. I think your getting ahead of yourself.

Thanks

And they are wrong.
    Even according to their own T&C.

As I said before, streaming is as bad as tethering but AT&T never excluded it so are now trying to redefine tethering. That is just wrong.

What I believe they will do is try and get all high usage customers on to a tethering plan then scrap unlimited. People will then have a choice of accepting a cap or leaving AT&T. If you have been tethering you wil have to pay the ETF (and maybe back charges?) if you have not then you will be able to leave without paying an ETF.

I believe they will not want to let anyone go without paying an ETF so will use all sorts of threats and dirty tricks such as redefining tethering to make you do so.

If you have never used tethering then you can take them to court if necessary, but if you have ever used tethering and take them to court then I believe you will lose and they will make it as difficult/expensive as they can for you, I would seriously think twice if you have ever tethered because they don't need to prove it to you but do, and will, to the court.

This is, of course, only my opinion, I am no expert on the American legal system and might be wrong regarding AT&T's intentions.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've been following this thread for awhile. I just registered. In my talks with AT&T, it seems as if they won't be taking action until mid-May or June because that would be the next billing cycle.

Yesterday just downloading files legally on my phone, I used at least 1 gb. Since I received my email I've been on the up and up. I've still used the same amount of data. I wonder what will happen to those that use high data but have really stopped tethering. As others have posted, if you were tethering and AT&T caught you, own it and move on. It's a clear violation of your contract.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ducadae View Post
    As others have posted, if you were tethering and AT&T caught you, own it and move on. It's a clear violation of your contract.
    Agree, and look at where we are, I'm sure someone will come up with another way to tether without them finding out.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    ..If you have never used tethering then you can take them to court ...
    One day this is going to happen. I hope soon.

Because just like the word 'unlimited' has been redefined by AT&T, the word 'tethering' appears to have a different meaning depending upon which AT&T rep is talking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not sure what this adds to the discussion, but just wanted to share that I received the infamous text a couple of days ago. I tether but my data usage lately has been fairly modest (1.5 gb so far this month, end of cycle is 5/9). I'm not jailbroken but using the benm hack for 3.0 (yeah, I'm still using 3.0 on my supersweet 3g). My dataplan, however, is unlimited. As I said my usage lately has been low but last summer it wasn't unusual for me to break 10 or 12 gb.

At any rate, I called the number provided and told them that I use my phone to stream youtube and pandora. Rep said that streaming those wouldn't matter but agreed to take the flag off my account and warned that future tethering would result in re-flagging (despite my insistance that I don't tether).

Could this be a ploy to drive out those with unlimited data plan or does att have an advantage over me due to using my phone's innate tethering capabilities instead of a jailbroken app?
    Last edited by bigbob; 04-25-2011 at 08:16 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I seriously doubt they're using DPI. That would slow down the network in unreal amounts. I bet they're tracking data usage in spikes.

Thanks

I don't tether unless I have to for work. But every day for a week I watched netflix movies on 3G hehehe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezbass View Post
    I seriously doubt they're using DPI. That would slow down the network in unreal amounts. I bet they're tracking data usage in spikes.
    DPI doesn't cause a problem. I would be very surprised if they are not using it. Networks in the UK have been for years without causing problems.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    DPI doesn't cause a problem. I would be very surprised if they are not using it. Networks in the UK have been for years without causing problems.
    Those networks aren't the size of AT&T. It would be like piping a waterfall through a garden hose so that the firewall could inspect every packet passed through. How much processing power would it take to keep the network from slowing down by inspecting every single packet. Doesn't seem realistic for AT&T.

Thanks

Ok just got off the line with at&t. The rep with AT&T was very helpful and also very nice and get this he spoke English. I played dumb and asked if using the Netflix or Dishnetwork app being used on an iPhone was tethering and his answer was no. That's streaming not tethering Then he checked and said I use about 3 gbs a month. I asked if I was to connect to my iPad would that be ok to share my 3G. He said no i would need a personal hot-spot plan. BTW he never called it tethering he said that it is a personal hot-spot, and that I need to be on the latest FW updated to 4.3.2 witch I am. He then said if I switched to a personal hot-spot plan I would lose my unlimited plan and that I could not switch back. So there you go it depends upon who you speak/talk too at AT&T What is tethering ! They are trying to eliminate unlimited data users if they use more than what they consider a high data user. What that amount is I don't know. It would be better use a separate phone with a personal hot-spot. It would be cheaper. But what's the point of an unlimited plan if you can't use it for that !!
    Last edited by jeffs64; 04-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirlance0505 View Post
    Well I just talked to a friend of mine that just got the tethering text. Now get this, he is already on a tethering plan?????? He told me he has used 2gig of podcast downloads in the last 11 days with no tethering for a couple months. He only needs to tether when needed but has to have the plan for his job just in case. So take it for what it's worth. Just relaying some info.
    That's priceless! Somebody on a tethering plan getting the email. Great!

To the guy that posted about the rude AT&T rep. What do you expect. Untrained, entry level employees answering calls all day from pissed off [rightly so] customers. Customers who pay a lot of money for shotty service. The minimum expectation should be polite and courteous service. I'm assuming you were polite and courteous too.

Also... PDANet just released version 5.01 of their tethering software. They claim that it hides tethering. I have it running today and it works great. There is an option to hide tethering with two settings: Level I and Level II. I don't know the difference, but they claim Level 1 should be sufficient to hide tethering from the carrier. I checked my IP address from my iPad and iPhone while connected and they show the same address. Also the iPad and iPhone HTTP user agent are showing the same information. The iPad shows it's running iPhone OS 4.3.1. The only difference noted is the screen resolution. You can get this information by searching for "what's my ip" and clicking the link. I'm not an advanced user by any means and don't really know if this will hide tethering or not. Just providing some information.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

With tne new version of PDANet, if they have managed to mask the fact that a subscriber is tethering, a new arms race has been started, and at best we have détente for now. Should AT&T be able to penetrate the deception, the conflict will certainly re-escalate, or get even worse.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So with PDAnet , they can't find out???

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
    So with PDAnet , they can't find out???
    No guarantees. Impossible to predict unless you know exactly what they are looking for.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    No guarantees. Impossible to predict unless you know exactly what they are looking for.
    Damn,, any other way to tether? Under there radar?