+ Reply
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 31 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by iphone 4 man I like to stream Netflix as well as live tv from the house. I can assure you that it is not hard to rack
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone 4 man View Post
    I like to stream Netflix as well as live tv from the house. I can assure you that it is not hard to rack up some serious bandwidth without tethering. 8 hours of tv is about 2 GB or so.
    And you watch 8 hrs. of Netflix or TV on your 3.5" iPhone? Yeah right. I watch podcast videos and a few free tv episodes on my iPhone on occasion and my eyes start hurting in less than an hour.

I just don't buy the Netflix streaming on the iPhone argument. Maybe on an iPad or laptop, but not an iPhone for any length of time. I think people streaming Netflix are tethering to a big HDTV. Just my opinion.

Brr
    Thanks

By the way ladies and gentlemen, this was posted by a thoughtful insider ("iphonespecialperson") in the first thread:

ATT internal info concerning tethering:

Tethering is a practice that enables a customer to use a smartphone as a broadband connection for other devices, such as laptop computers, netbooks, tablets, and Wi-Fi-enabled and other computing devices.

The Wireless Customer Agreement (WCA) requires our customers to be on a tethering plan if they use their devices to tether. Refer to the WCA from the Related Links section.

What Is Going On?

We are reminding customers of our requirement to have a tethering plan if they use their smartphone to tether. This is a reminder of the existing policy and a request to bring their account up to date.

As of March 17, we will be sending notification to subscribers who are currently tethering without the appropriate and required smartphone data plan which is DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.

Process to Bring Account in Line With Policy

Customers can do this in one of two ways:

Call, click, or come into a store to change from their current data plan to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
    Wait until the date indicated on the notification, at which point we will update their account and add the plan for them.
    Customers can also choose to stop tethering, in which case they do not need to take any action on changing their plan.

Why Are We Doing This?

Customers tethering without the appropriate data plan are not in line with the requirements of their Wireless Customer Agreement. Review this from the Related Links section.

When Does The Communication Start?

The notifications begin to go out on March 17, 2011.

Which Customers Are We Addressing?

The notifications are sent to smartphone customers identified as tethering without the appropriate plan. We are asking them to bring their account up to date by adding the required tethering feature.

We will be notifying customers in stages, however, the plan is to eventually identify and notify all customers tethering with a smartphone, regardless of the type, without the required data plan.

How Will They Be Notified?

Notifications are sent by e-mail, SMS, and a letter sent through U.S. mail.

Customers will receive a first notification to remind them of the terms and conditions, educate them about our tethering plan requirements, and ask them to bring their account up to date by changing to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.

Customers may either bring their account up to date as requested or they may choose to discontinue tethering and remain on their current data plan.

If they continue to tether and do not change their data plan to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, a second notification will be sent informing them that we have moved them to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, as we informed them in the first communication.

Secondary notifications will also be sent via U.S. mail, e-mail, and SMS. Refer to the Related Links section to review samples.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which plan are customers automatically moved to if they do not bring their account in line with our policy?
    They are moved to 4GB for Smartphone Tethering. The $45.00/month plan includes 4GB of data per month; $10.00 for each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed. Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible smartphones. Refer to the Related Links section for more information.

How does this work with customers currently on a Smartphone Data Unlimited plan?
    Handle business as usual. We do not offer a tethering option for subscribers who wish to remain on their Smartphone Data Unlimited plan. However, the customer can keep their unlimited data plan if they stop tethering. If they wish to continue to tether, they will need to move to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering to align with our policy.

Once a customer moves to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, whether they do so on their own or we automatically update their account, the customer will no longer have the option to return to the Smartphone Data Unlimited plan.

Where are customers directed to when they receive notification and have questions?
    The notification includes a phone number for customers to call with questions. These calls will be auto-routed to the EON/DEON specialty representatives trained to assist these customers.

Similar to date as well: SIM Swapping

Appropriate data plans are required to use Mobile Broadband devices (laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) on the AT&T Network.

Effective March 16, 2011, AT&T will systematically enforce this policy by alerting customers with unlimited data plans when they take the SIM from their current smartphone, QMP, or basic phone and place it into a Mobile Broadband device to access data unlimited, that an appropriate data plan is required.

Process

Once SIM swapping is detected, customers will receive notifications via SMS and e-mail that an appropriate data plan is required for their Mobile Broadband device. If the customer continues to use their SIM in the device, their data service will be restricted for the remainder of the billing period unless they contact Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Reasons

Any data unlimited customer who takes the SIM from their smart phone, QMP, or basic phone and puts it into a Mobile Broadband device is not in compliance with the requirements of their wireless customer agreement.

Communication Key Dates

Effective March 16, 2011

Specific Customers Addressed

The notifications will go to smartphone, QMP, and basic phone users with unlimited data plans who put their SIM into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: Laptop, Tablet or AT&T Mobile Hotspot device).

Notification Methods

By SMS and e-mail

SMS Communications

The first message is sent when AT&T first detects SIM swapping activity.
    AT&T Free Msg: An eligible data plan is required when using a Laptop, Tablet or MiFi device. Call 611 as soon as possible for details and to avoid service interruption.
    The second message is sent when AT&T detects subsequent SIM swapping activity.
    AT&T Free Msg: Your data service has been restricted due to SIM swapping with a data connect device. Call 800-331-0500 to discuss available plan options.
    E-Mail Communication

If we have the customer's e-mail address, the following communication will be sent after each out-of-policy usage.

At AT&T, we value your business and want to ensure you have the data plan that's right for you. Did you know an eligible data plan is required when using mobile broadband? If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your wireless handset into your Laptop, Tablet or MiFi, your data service may no longer work properly on either device.

Call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team will help you establish service with an appropriate data plan for your device and restore data service if necessary.
    AT&T offers a variety of plans to fit your needs in order to provide the best on-the-go experience on the nation's fastest mobile broadband network. Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call. You can also visit our web page here to learn more.
    Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

FAQs

Does this policy affect all SIM swapping?
    No. This policy is being enforced for smartphone, QMP, and basic phone customers with a data unlimited plan on their account who put their SIMs into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) in an effort to share data unlimited between two devices.

Why is AT&T notifying my customer about putting their smartphone SIM into their new tablet?
    Any customer using a Mobile Broadband device on the AT&T network is required to have an appropriate data plan which supports that device. This policy is now being systematically enforced.

How will my customer receive the SMS notification if the SIM is in one of the Mobile Broadband devices?
    Most of these devices allow customers to receive SMS messages. However if the device does not, the SMS communication will continue to be sent for a period of up to three days. Also, if the customer has an e-mail address on file, AT&T will send a notification via e-mail.

My data unlimited customer did not realize it was against AT&T policy to put the SIM from a smartphone into a Mobile Broadband device. My customer does not want to add a data plan for their Mobile Broadband device. What are the options?
    With the many services and ease of use of our great new Mobile Broadband devices, our customers will be able to fully utilize these devices. Also they get the best possible experience if they have an appropriate data plan for that device or they can select our DataPro with tethering plan for their current smartphone.

If the customer continues to use their smartphone SIM in their Mobile Broadband device, their data service will be suspended until the end of the billing period, unless the customer calls into Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Note: If the customer does not contact Customer Care to add a plan, their data service will be restored for their smartphone at the beginning of the new billing cycle. If SIM swapping activity is detected during the next billing cycle, the data service on the account will be suspended again.

Is my customer eligible for a data credit while his data service is suspended?
    No.

Can my customer continue this process each billing cycle?
    No. If the customer continues the out of policy behavior, AT&T reserves the right to remove the unlimited smartphone data plan from the account.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brr For This Useful Post:

beingforthebenefit (04-19-2011), JohnGaltJr (04-19-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    And you watch 8 hrs. of Netflix or TV on your 3.5" iPhone? Yeah right. I watch podcast videos and a few free tv episodes on my iPhone on occasion and my eyes start hurting in less than an hour.

I just don't buy the Netflix streaming on the iPhone
    argument. Maybe on an iPad or laptop, but not an iPhone for any length of time. I think people streaming Netflix are tethering to a big HDTV. Just my opinion.
    I do actually watch the videos on my phone, but I do occasionally hook up the output to a larger computer screen or HDTV. When I "watch" tv for 8 hours, it is normally on a news channel that I don't really watch, more like listen to. If I hear an interesting story I might watch for a few minutes and then go back to listening. I will watch an occasional ball game or other show as well. I have quit "tethering" all together but have actually used more data since then. I averaged 3 to 4 gigs per month "tethering", only going over 5 gigs once. I will probably use around 10 gigs of untethered bandwidth this cycle just to prove a point,

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    I think people streaming Netflix are tethering to a big HDTV.
    Are we really buying into AT&T's new definition(s) of tethering?
    They must have some amazing DPI software if they can detect audio and HDMI cable connections.

Thanks

Many thanks, Brr! I posted a tiny portion of this earlier to show people that AT&T- by using their own words against them- is being either stupid or utterly disingenuous when they accuse people who stream as the "same thing" as tethering! This must also equally apply for "secondary" audio or video connections as they are most certainly NOT tethering!

As long as the phone is NOT being use to channel the data stream to another computing device, then by strictly applying their own definition- we are not doing anything to violate the terms of our contracts. I would bet that NOWHERE in our contracts does it even mention external monitors, or powered speakers- or headphones for that matter.

Kudos for posting the entire document. I can't wait to hear back from people that throw AT&T's own words back in their face.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Are we really buying into AT&T's new definition(s) of tethering?
    They must have some amazing DPI software if they can detect audio and HDMI cable connections.
    I don't think an HDMI cable is "tethering" in the classic sense, but I can see how ATT would. Running it via wireless to an apple tv or a roku and then to an HDTV would be tethering in the classic sense.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There was a post earlier that someone spoke with an att rep and they said any amplification of sound is considered tethering. If that's the case then just simply using the speakers built into the phone would be tethering, aren't those speakers amplifying the sound? Without them there is no sound therefore they are amplifying. I know this is stretching it but......

BTW I am no longer using any wifi on my phone. I am using 3g 100% of the time now. I am gonna use what I am forced to pay for.

Thanks

No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    While I disagree with throttling Because unlimitted should have nothing to do with how much you use, if they dropped the spying for or guessing for tethering and throttled people who go over, like 10gb in a week or two then sure I would agree and support that
    yeah I would be cool with something like that. Considering that for the last few months I have been dealing with a 25kb - 195kb download speed, I would be perfectly fine with being throttled back to only 1Mb if I went over a certain amount of data in a week. I feel like I am back in the age of dial-up.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    ... I feel like I am back in the age of dial-up.
    Funny..... but true.

Wonder if anyone has 'reconsidered' using voice for high (or higher than modem) speed data? Couldn't replace data, but might work as a supplement

Unlimited voice is truly unlimited

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirlance0505 View Post
    BTW I am no longer using any wifi on my phone. I am using 3g 100% of the time now. I am gonna use what I am forced to pay for.
    has att forcibly switched your plan?

if so, you may be the first. we've been asking for the last few days for people to report here if att has enforced the plan changes they threatened.

-peter
    moderation in all things... including moderation

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    has att forcibly switched your plan?

if so, you may be the first. we've been asking for the last few days for people to report here if att has enforced the plan changes they threatened.

-peter
    No I have not. I haven't even got the threatening text/email. Highest I have ever used is 2.6GB.(Even with tethering) What I meant is, I'm not gonna let att off the hook anymore using wifi when avail. it's all 3g from here on out. I'm forced to pay for data with my iPhone, so I'm gonna use the hell out of it now(non-tethering of course).

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

No I have not. I haven't even got the threatening text/email. Highest I have ever used is 2.6GB.(Even with tethering) What I meant is, I'm not gonna let att off the hook anymore using wifi when avail. it's all 3g from here on out. I'm forced to pay for data with my iPhone, so I'm gonna use the hell out of it now(non-tethering of course).
    Aren't you basically hurting yourself there? It's probably no skin off AT&T's back if one user decides to only get data via 3G. On the other hand, you will be relying on AT&T's slow network and spotty coverage to get all data on your phone (not to mention the fact 3G chews through your battery faster than wifi). Who's really getting the short end of that deal?

AT&T's 3G download speeds are roughly 1/10 of what I get at home on wifi. Couple that with the fact that my office is located in an AT&T dead zone and I'll take wifi wherever I can!
    Last edited by MacDevil7334; 04-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Aren't you basically hurting yourself there? It's probably no skin off AT&T's back if one user decides to only get data via 3G. On the other hand, you will be relying on AT&T's slow network and spotty coverage to get all data on your phone (not to mention the fact 3G chews through your battery faster than wifi). Who's really getting the short end of that deal?

AT&T's 3G download speeds are roughly 1/10 of what I get at home on wifi. Couple that with the fact that my office is located in an AT&T dead zone and I'll take wifi wherever I can!
    Actually for MY situation 3g is very fast at home, on my way to work and at work. Battery usage is of no concern to me, I always have a charger within reach. My whole point isn't necessarily to "stick it" to att, I'm just gonna start using more of what I'm forced to pay for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's my situation.. I woke up this morning to the AT&T email.. It says I have to stop tethering by the April 30th or they'll change my plan ... I use mywi alott wich I thether my iPad.. Imma give them a call and see what bs they tell me..

Dec: 13.7
    Jan: 3.9
    Feb:1.3
    Mar: 8.2
    April : 7.2

Green Apple
    Thanks

it def seems that it's over 5gb/month that tips them off. probably since the first round went into effect. i try to limit my usage to close to 5gb/month. i still haven't seen here if anyone has had their plan changed and if they did or did not have to pay a ETF......anyone hear that yet?!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba4590 View Post
    Here's my situation.. I woke up this morning to the AT&T email.. It says I have to stop tethering by the April 30th or they'll change my plan ... I use mywi alott wich I thether my iPad.. Imma give them a call and see what bs they tell me..

Dec: 13.7
    Jan: 3.9
    Feb:1.3
    Mar: 8.2
    April : 7.2
    Good Luck and please keep us posted.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm just gonna start using more of what I'm forced to pay for.
    why the change? why wouldn't you have simply done this all along? curious.

-peter
    moderation in all things... including moderation

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing is fairly certain: if anybody who visits this site had their plan changed, they would likely be here and letting us know.

Does that mean we're in the clear? No. It just means it hasn't happened yet. But asking over and over "has anybody been changed?" will not make those people answer up. I am certain that once somebody discovers they're on the 4GB tether plan, they'll post it up here.

Everything else is just speculation at this point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

yeah, thanks, but maybe ppl that have had their plan changed may not read all 400+ posts. so, if ppl are asking if someone has had their plan changed is not a bad thing for the rest of us that are curious.