+ Reply
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 722

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Userid information is readily available and easily faked. If I did work for AT&T I think they would be able to do a bit better than that!
...
  1. #241
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    Userid information is readily available and easily faked.
    If I did work for AT&T I think they would be able to do a bit better than that!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  2. #242
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Back to my question about my unlimited data SIM. I thought it was like an iPad SIM with the unlimited data where you can just transfer the account information and change all the personal stuff? Plus phone numbers are tied to SIMs but can be transferred to another SIM. Example? When I got my iphone 4 I had to get a microSIM and transfer my number from my regular size SIM to that one via AT&T store. I know I could have cut the other one but since the microSIM was free I didn't see the point in going through that hassle since I don't have one of those SIM cutters to do it more precise than the scissors I own.

    Has anyone tried to sell their unlimited data iphone SIM and been successful at transferring the account info into someone else's possession?

  3. #243
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    As no one has picked up on this, I will. Your contract is with you. As was said before when you asked, you can't sell it.
    You can move your number and contract to another SIM owned by you but you can't sell your contract to someone else.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  4. #244
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 78 Times in 62 Posts

    Although you could probably add somebody to your account, give them rights, and then just remove yourself from the account. I suspect that would work.

  5. #245
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    Only if you still want to be liable...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  6. #246
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Calling the Kettle Black? I would read my own posts.

    Maybe I came along just a month ago and then maybe I didn't.

    You have no idea for sure, I could of been silent for years.

    there is no requirement to join to read the news here.

    As far as "Rip" friend its called debate, and as far as saying people are employees of At&t, you are one of them that I suspect, but it's not because of disagreement its because you have (using your definition) and a couple others have, "Hijacked the threads" as well. How many posts have you posted on tethering? I have most of your posts.

    I could be silent and make it a one sided conversation.

    Poor At&t....................

    I think tethering is a switch and should not be a charge and should be free, I have the unlimited Iphone plan since the Iphone was first released by Apple, 1st Gen, how long have you had Iphones?

    I've been a loyal Customer of Cingular then At&t since 2003 how long have you?

    WOW talk about crap, who cares how long someone has posted? You have no idea who they are, we do not post our Pictures and complete resumes on the internet ( I would advise against it) we can be anyone from Sara Palin to Obama.......you have no idea who I am or who these "Long time posters" are

    Maybe I'm Bruce Sewell LOL.


    I have a stance and I defend it, I also like to read other's stances but debate the facts of the stance just as they debate my facts.

    That's called Socratic learning, the great Argument. Personal attacks should not be apart of the argument yet I have fallen into the trap a couple times.

    Its not a Hijack to be on topic, yet this post is not on topic, so lets stay on the topic about At&t and unlimited and the attack they have on it which has included accusing people of tethering.

    Good day
    Not sure if you realize this, but your join date shows up on your posts. Cough Verizon Employee Cough cough...

    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    This type of post does more harm to the archer than the target. Fire away...
    I love this quote.. Do you remember... I'm rubber your glue bounces off me sticks on you?? My 6 year old uses that one.

    Do you really think I care what you and Myphoney post here.. We get it, you are mad you have to pay for tethering. If you want to make things better then tell some of the people what to do. Which you haven't yet. If you just want to complain and accuse people of things go ahead.

    You asked earlier about the fact that I blamed people for abusing the system then acted concerned about them. You didn't quite get it, so I'll explain it.

    I think the people that are using huge amounts of data are ruining it for all of the rest of us. So yep that annoys me.

    However, if one of them comes on here and says, Jee I just got this letter what should I do, then I have no problem telling them what I think would be best. I don't think a lawsuit will help in the short term, or probably ever, but certainly not now. I don't think racking up huge amounts of data to screw at&t will help either.

    I certainly think if I got the letter, and I was still under contract, and I still wanted to keep my unlimited plan, I would call them up and deny tethering, then stop doing it for a few months, keep my data usage low and see how things shake out. That seems to have the best chance of accomplishing all your goals. If, for some reason, you have to, or want to keep tethering, I would still call up and deny it before the drop dead date. I really think that at&t will eventually change everyone over. Then it gets back to a fight that will be hard for you to win.
    Last edited by Moosestache; 04-13-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #247
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    Please don't feed the Troll.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  8. #248
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Att tethering mywi
    Thanks Kyle. Hey, I got the notice from Att also. Talked w/rep and was told I could loose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, and be charged $47 per month for X amount of gugs
    Last edited by ptrrabbit; 04-13-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Sent it unfinished, by accident. I want to delete this unfinished mail.

  9. #249
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    Welcome to the forums ptrrabbit
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  10. #250
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks Kyle, Peter Kunde here. I also got the Att text. Talked w/rep and was told that I could loose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, and be charged $47 for X-amount of gigs, and $10 for each gig over x-Amt. This is scary, and the main reason I jailbroke was to be able to use Internet at a reasonable $ amount. My current Att bill is $127/month.
    What can one do to still use MyWi or Pdanet and be untouchable by Att?
    Many thanks, Peter Kunde

  11. #251
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    so you JB to try and rip AT&T off? That is not what Jailbreaking is for!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  12. #252
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Question : can AT&T tell if u are tethering to different Idevices , I don't tether and I have the unlimited data package , my usage is between 5 and 9 GB a month , my question is if I choose to buy an iPad and tether it with my iPhone 4 or if I tether to one of my kids iPods , will AT&T b able to tell I'm tethering.?

  13. #253
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I think I'm not ripping off Att. I'm paying a good amount to them. I got laid off, am on unemployment of 1100 per month, do not have cable at this house, so just trying to survive.

  14. #254
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,255
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 907 Times in 823 Posts

    That is the unanswered question - all evidence appears to suggest a very cack handed approach which would suggest not.
    But they might accuse you of it without tangible evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptrrabbit View Post
    I think I'm not ripping off Att. I'm paying a good amount to them. I got laid off, am on unemployment of 1100 per month, do not have cable at this house, so just trying to survive.
    By using services you are not paying for?

    Do you also steal your food?
    Last edited by confucious; 04-13-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  15. #255
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    After I recieved the text, I called AT&T. I asked them, "What do you consider tethering?" We all know about tethering by using your phone as a modem, but did you know using ANY cable to connect to your phone other than Charging and Syncing is considered tethering? This means auxillary cables to car audio, a/v cables to TV, also bluetooth to enabled stereos while streaming is all considered "Tethering." When the first rep told me that, I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor, Laurie Miller, told me the same thing. She quoted section 6.2 of the wireless service agreement. I told her she was misreading what tethering is. Then she assured me that using your phone as a modem was 1 way, and using cables to either amplify sound or a/v to view (netflix or youtube, etc.) on TV while streaming is another way. What do you think of this BS. Personally I think AT&T is targeting unlimited users to reduce amount of data usage because their servers cannot handle it. Either that or simply con stupid unlimited users to a 4GB cap at a higher price. I mean c'mon really, why monitor my usage if I am unlimited? Stupid AT&T is just trying to renig on the contract. Can anyone say Class Action Lawsuit?
    Last edited by EP74; 04-13-2011 at 04:37 PM.

  16. #256
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
    I love this quote.. Do you remember... I'm rubber your glue bounces off me sticks on you?? My 6 year old uses that one.

    Do you really think I care what you and Myphoney post here.. We get it, you are mad you have to pay for tethering. If you want to make things better then tell some of the people what to do. Which you haven't yet. If you just want to complain and accuse people of things go ahead.

    You asked earlier about the fact that I blamed people for abusing the system then acted concerned about them. You didn't quite get it, so I'll explain it.

    I think the people that are using huge amounts of data are ruining it for all of the rest of us. So yep that annoys me.

    However, if one of them comes on here and says, Jee I just got this letter what should I do, then I have no problem telling them what I think would be best. I don't think a lawsuit will help in the short term, or probably ever, but certainly not now. I don't think racking up huge amounts of data to screw at&t will help either.

    I certainly think if I got the letter, and I was still under contract, and I still wanted to keep my unlimited plan, I would call them up and deny tethering, then stop doing it for a few months, keep my data usage low and see how things shake out. That seems to have the best chance of accomplishing all your goals. If, for some reason, you have to, or want to keep tethering, I would still call up and deny it before the drop dead date. I really think that at&t will eventually change everyone over. Then it gets back to a fight that will be hard for you to win.
    I actually agree with much of your last two paragraphs, although I'd go a step further and
    advise folks not to tether at all (with or without a tethering plan). IMHO, tethering
    and SMS charges are both taxes on stupidity. Today's smartphones already do way more than laptops of
    a few years ago and people really should be able to learn to live without. Why risk losing an "unlimited"
    data plan? You and I agree this is very likely to happen anyway at some point in the future,
    so those folks that enjoy streaming (to their phones) might as well make hay while the sun shines. I don't
    necessarily agree that that would constitute network abuse, since AT&T chose to use the word "unlimited"
    when advertising its original iPhone data plans. That was the point of Kyle's original post.
    AT&T are coming after folks that aren't tethering - at least not in the traditional definition
    of tethering.

    But your paragraphs 1 and 2. Sigh... Can't you make one post without the obligatory
    sarcasm or condescending comments? I don't think you realise how bad some of your own posts make you look.
    And please, for the love of all that's holy, stop saying you don't care what we post. You obviously
    do, or why else are you gearing up to flame me in response to this message? We all know you're going to...

  17. #257
    Green Apple JohnGaltJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    I got this directly from an AT&T written memo. I have forgotten exactly where but if you search for the text it will pop up everywhere as quoted. It seems to be pretty precise. Any other use must therefore be permitted. What, will using earphones be "prohibited" next?

    This is how THEY define tethering:
    "Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering." Emphasis mine.


    This is most certainly going to end up with a class action being filed in Federal Court. Their lying and deceit trying to unilaterally change a contract because they're not happy with the deal they made with the original unlimited plans can NOT be permitted to stand. Any use of data within your phone- i.e. YouTube, Netflix or Pandora are NOT tethering under any stretch of the imagination. Tethering must require the use of a TETHER- not to mention connectivity to another computing device using the data connection! They must think we are stupid. The courts have historically taken a very dim view of "fine print" disclaimers defining away pretty clear terms in the "large print". Unlimited meant unlimited except for tethering. They are now trying to change that definition to include STREAMING and that is unconscionable!
    Last edited by JohnGaltJr; 04-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnGaltJr For This Useful Post:

    EP74 (04-13-2011)

  19. #258
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EP74 View Post
    After I recieved the text, I called AT&T. I asked them, "What do you consider tethering?" We all know about tethering by using your phone as a modem, but did you know using ANY cable to connect to your phone other than Charging and Syncing is considered tethering? This means auxillary cables to car audio, a/v cables to TV, also bluetooth to enabled stereos while streaming is all considered "Tethering." When the first rep told me that, I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor, Laurie Miller, told me the same thing. She quoted section 6.2 of the wireless service agreement. I told her she was misreading what tethering is. Then she assured me that using your phone as a modem was 1 way, and using cables to either amplify sound or a/v to view (netflix or youtube, etc.) on TV while streaming is another way. What do you think of this BS. Personally I think AT&T is targeting unlimited users to reduce amount of data usage because their servers cannot handle it. Either that or simply con stupid unlimited users to a 4GB cap at a higher price. I mean c'mon really, why monitor my usage if I am unlimited? Stupid AT&T is just trying to renig on the contract. Can anyone say Class Action Lawsuit?
    I wonder what the situation is with bluetooth headsets, stereo bluetooth headsets, etc.? It would seem to me they'd fall in the same category.

  20. #259
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I got the message and have since stopped tethering... thought I have started streaming nearly non-stop internet radio from 6AM till after midnight.

    I have used about 4Gb in 6 days into my billing cycle. Lets see what they have to say about this. I'd be curious to see if they give anyone grief for its truly a method to strong arm people out of the data plan.

    I only got warned in this second round. Do we know if anyone from the first round actually got changed over?

  21. #260
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Ok guys stop insulting each other. It's okay to voice you opinions but no need to make the conversation heated.

    Ps I am an Att employee
    So its your fault? Lol
    Just kidding

    My intentions were to explain why tethering should be allowed and how At&t is making something out of nothing.

    I'm sorry to post that I suspect some to work for AT&T, its just hard to read so many pro At&t posts and not think that.

    So I appologise for that.

    One thing I will not change or apologise is when I read tethering at all causes users harm, At&t sells a tether plan so If I tether on my unlimited right next to a 2+2 person and we are both using the same amount of data,
    The 2+2 person can't be considered right and I'm wrong because within 5 minutes I could go online and give up unlimited and then choose 2+2 tethering plan and continue to tether the same way same amount.

    No difference.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts