+ Reply
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I dont have an issue with them trying to reel in the super heavy users but I strongly disagree with the way they charge their customers. Texting and MMS are
    Thanks
    I dont have an issue with them trying to reel in the super heavy users but I strongly disagree with the way they charge their customers. Texting and MMS are data and should be included in those usage amount, not charged separately as an additional fee.

I also cant stand how they charge extra for calling and messaging Canada because its not like there is some border-long invisible data/voice tollbooth. Actually being that I live in the Eastern US, Montreal and Toronto are closer to me than Los Angeles but yet I have to pay an extra fee. Its ridiculous. Due to those policies I have no sympathy for ATT getting taken advantage of by JB and Tethering users. I say, have at it folks.
    Last edited by tribe51; 04-12-2011 at 07:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    In our contract with ATT, under iPhone and Certain Other Devices says:

I agree that ATT may add required plans to my account and bill me the appropriate monthly fee if I use an iPhone or other device that has plan requirements.

So if they do it, we all going to have to pay the early termination fee agreement $325.00 to cancel the contract. But I tell you what, I will pay it without think about it.
    That specifically refers to the requirement to have a dataplan with a smartphone. It does not give them license to change the requirements mid-contract.

Here's something that seems to be being overlooked. AT&T is about to go into a rather lengthy and painful period of Federal scrutiny over their desired purchase of T-Mobile.

If you want to complain about this harassment, don't do it to AT&T, do it to the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission. Both agencies are likely to have lots of hearings regarding the merger, and I'm sure that AT&T would like as few speedbumps as possible in the process.

After all, how'd you like to be the AT&T hack who authorized this and shot down the merger? Remember, AT&T is out of pocket for three billion dollars to T-Mobile even if the deal falls apart.

Thanks

Default Data Hogs are ruining it for the rest of us
    We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if there weren't data hogs who are using upwards of 20 - 30gb a month on ATT 3G. I don't care whether it's through tethering or just "streaming netflix all day." For one thing, I don't believe those who say they use over 10gb w/o tethering, but maybe that's just me. ATT is charging what the market will bear, nothing more, nothing less. That's the market system. If T-Mobile's unlimited data for less money was SUCH a good deal, then they wouldn't have been sold to ATT. Sure, I wish it was cheaper too, but no other company provides it cheaper so that's that.

I have MiWi but rarely use it. I don't even use 2gb most months, but keep the unlimited because I might need it at some point. I have wifi at home and work and only use it when I'm traveling and want to check email or browse the web for a while on my laptop or iPad. I also use it as a backup if my cable modem goes out for an hour or 2.

If ATT is only targeting those over 5gb/mo. then I'm fine with that, tether or no tether. Even if they only went after those over 10gb/mo. it would make things less congested for the rest of us. Sure, it stinks that they want $20 just to tether, but it's gonna take a competitor offering tethering cheaper to change that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    I hope they make you change your plan when you upgrade to the iPhone 5 and or do what European countries do and make you pay nearly full price for the phone and charge less for the plan. Pick your poison.
    Full price for the phone and less for the plan? DEAL!!!

Brr
    Thanks

The most logical way of AT&T to go about this exercise is to go by regions/markets and not by alphabetical order like some have thought. When they scan users for the tethering they will be going through their systems in a localized fashion hence my thinking that it's by regions. They'll go to say "Atlanta" and poll their network systems there and do their cross checks to see who they'll send their letters, emails or text msg. Then they'll go to "Chicago" and do their cross checking there again. All one market at a time, but I'm sure they can check dozens of markets pretty quickly. Anyway, that's what I think.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the wireless telecom situation here in the us is treading on NOT being a market system. however, to the extent that it is, the cutomer and the provider play cat and mouse. for example, paying for text messaging is outrageous... so i don't do it. i use google voice. but AT&T has every right to try to charge for it... their tactic works on suckers, but doesn't work on me. if you're fool enough to pay for it, or if your employer pays it for you, that's a huge plus for AT&T. almost every fashion market relies on ignorant suckers. and make no mistake, until iPhones become ubiquitous commodities that make the newport beach hardbodies yawn instead of drool, they ARE part of the fashion market. witness the numbers people who drop whatever they have and come running into uncle stevies arms. jaibreaking and tethering are also healthy parts of the cat and mouse game that savvy customers use to apply pressure to the market. in turn, the market presses back with things like AT&T is doing right now. its the way of the free market. the only thing is, over the long term, I am of the opinion that ultimately, the big telco's will tip the balance in their own favor by buying off politicians who will pass legislation that stifles competition, making the market less and less free.
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 04-13-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

It's been nearly 3 years since the introduction of the the iPhone that uses the 3G data network in the USA. Don't you think AT&T has had enough time to deal with the demand? Really now... with record profits, can't they actually support the consumer instead of pandering and appeasing the shareholders with quarterly EPS reports? Or is all of this still a surprise to them? I guess they all missed the "strategic planning" course in B school.

I wonder how long it will take for the true unlimited 4G plans to get eliminated too. Probably once enough people take the bait and sign up for those plans. Then they'll pull the rug out from them too, and like now there will be little we can do to oppose "them" with no significant competition- if we want to keep our iPhones.
    Last edited by JohnGaltJr; 04-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks

lmao!!
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGaltJr View Post
    It's been nearly 3 years since the introduction of the the iPhone that uses the 3G data network in the USA. Don't you think AT&T has had enough time to deal with the demand? Really now... with record profits, can't they actually support the consumer instead of pandering and appeasing the shareholders with quarterly EPS reports? Or is all of this still a surprise to them? I guess they all missed the "strategic planning" course in B school.

I wonder how long it will take for the true unlimited 4G plans to get eliminated too. Probably once enough people take the bait and sign up for those plans. Then they'll pull the rug out from them too, and like now there will be little we can do to oppose "them" with no significant competition- if we want to keep our iPhones.
    None of the Telco's are going to spend all that much to improve 3G coverage since they all are already working on 4G rollouts. Sure they'll continue to fill coverage gaps here and there but there's no big financial incentive to IMPROVE the 3G system overall. I'm sure they learned that at Biz school. Some of you guys seem to think that pleasing the stock markets is somehow different than pleasing the customers. You couldn't be more wrong, they are one and the same. Pleasing one means pleasing the other. Apple is a prime example.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    You mean, like a phone that is already "wired" for tethering capability? A capability that can be turned on with a software, "switch"?

No native tethering of any kind was available in the iphone before 3.0.0, not even with the BenM.at mod. This fact forces me to conclude that tethering capability was put there by Apple beginning with 3.0.0, to be turned on at the carrier's discretion. All the BenM.at mod did was to make the "settings>general>network>internet tethering" toggle that was made part of the 3.0.0 firmware, visible to users who applied the mod. Further, they also gave out the APN's required to configure the tethering. Same as tetherme does for those of us with 4.x.x. It's not an aftermarket app like mywi, it simply turns on the iphone's native tethering capability. if you look at the file size of tetherme, it's like 40k or so.

-peter
    I tried arguing it but after going back to my old school 3G and checking out the BenM.at package some more and others, you're right.

+1 peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Full price for the phone and less for the plan? DEAL!!!
    I'm with you on this one as I've been out of contract for nearly 2 years now and I'd gladly pay $600 or $700 and only have a 60 dollar monthly bill for the same features.

Lastly, to those of you that complained about dropping calls in Manhattan, was this just on your iPhone? When I used to travel to NYC and other places I'd sometimes use my junky Nokia 2610 and I never dropped a call with that phone. It's had the best reception of any phone I ever owned and I even got reception in places any other AT&T phone I've owned has never had reception.

Maybe its just the iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Honestly this is a failed argument.

This is the 21st century, phones, all phones are becoming hand held computers and rely on the web.

Iphone requires a data plan because the basic functions of the IOS is based partly on the web and connectivity to the web just as android does.
    At&t wanted the Iphone, both US carrires requires data plans. In this At&t was then obligated years ago to plan for a network that could support the phone and the future.

You and others keep blaming people for using the network, it is not our fault. At&t wants the money and huge profits then brainwashes people into a logic that we are somehow responsible for the problems with the network they have not upgraded.

As the use of wireless advances as well as cloud computing, it is the duty of the wireless carriers to provide and keep up the needed services we pay a premium for.

It is At&t's fault for the congestion not the users.

It is a failure to blame users.
    Please explain. When we had EDGE only in my area I used to turn data and 3G off on my phone and only use Text and phone while I was out of my house to conserve battery power. My phone worked just fine. Because EDGE was so slow my iPhone was pretty much just a phone when I was out but I could still write and email and have it sent when I got home to my wifi, watch movies, read a book, play games. All that without data. The updates for iOS come through iTunes so again, no data plan needed for that.

Just curious since I do not really understand why a data plan is required if you own this phone when you do not seem to need it to use it for some of the basic functions it can provide. Please enlighten. Thank you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Do you know of a solution that could be implemented? Or are you just pissing in the wind?
    His solution is faster speed, unlimited bandwidth with fantasy equipment that never wears out and is deployed on every block. Apparently logic doesn't work so this sounds about right...

If you're using 20GB a month on your iPhone streaming netflix or hulu than good for you for taking advantage of your unlimited data, that's what we paid for right? However, if you're using tethering as your only home LAN and racking up data by the GB then AT&T has the right to eliminate your data plan because that's not what you or AT&T signed up for. It may void your warranty but at some point it is no longer beneficial to have people using masses of data.

Nobody here signed an AT&T data plan with the intension of using it as their home broadband so why when apps like MyWi come out it's all of the sudden a right of all of ours?

I'm not talking about the occasional tether which is totally legit but if you're downloading movies or TV shows, torrenting, or any other form of mass data consumption, it's just hurting the rest of us.

As a side note - how is it that MYPHONEI has hijacked both tethering discussions? It's getting old. I can recite his argument by memory. There is no need to cast aspersions like he does but hey, free to cut this post up into small clippets and tell me my argument has "failed".
    Last edited by kraziebone; 04-13-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've just read all 16 pages of this thread and there's two things that I have questions about.

(1) How on EARTH are some of you using over 10(!) GB a month ... on 3G ?!?

I don't get it ... do you not own a cable/DSL modem at home with any wireless capability or something?

I barely use any 3G data every month because most of my use of data on my iPhone 4 is over my home or work wireless ... I can't even imagine the pain of trying to stream Pandora radio stations or - God forbid - NetFlix movies over a 3G connection!

(2) Back when I had my iPhone 3G I used that BenM.at hack package to do Tethering ... came in damn handy one day when we had a 4+ hour power blackout in my neighborhood!

Now with my iPhone 4 (and with the BenM.at package no longer installed) I've never tried to tether ... but when I go to Settings -> General -> Network I see Internet Tethering with a spinning cursor ...

Eventually the cursor stops and it changes to Set Up Internet Tethering which, if I press it, brings up a popup saying

--------------------------------------------------------
    Set Up Internet Tethering
    To enable tethering on this account,
    contact AT&T at 611 or visit
    http://www.att.com/mywireless

[Call]
    [Go to Website]

[Cancel]
    --------------------------------------------------------

Now as far as I know I have a grandfathered Unlimited plan ... why am I getting cock-blocked trying to Tether?

[Mods - if this is too much of a side-tangent, please tell me which thread to post it to]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Streaming and tethering are both as bad as each other, just AT&T never prohibited streaming so they cant now say you can't do it.

The reason they are both far, far worse than other forms of data usage is because of the way the mobile data networks work.

Basically, if I understand correctly, each base station (or cell, or tower) has multiple channels and multiple time slices. These can be allocated between voice and data with voice always being given priority and when a bit of data is transmited it takes a channel for a period of time and releases it so someone else can use the channel, this can happen multiple times per second so many people can use a few channels.

Tethering and streaming both grab and hold a channel or channels so no one else can use them. A few channels can service many hundreds of voice calls, or 'normal'data uses but only a very few tethered/streaming connections. If a base station has 8 channels and there are 7 people tethering/streaming then only 1/8th of it's capacity is available for everyone else's data/voice which is why they have connection problems.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge can explain it better than I have, it was explained to me a few years ago by someone who was a telecoms engineer and confirmed by others, the exact details are a bit hazy but that is the gist of it.

If my memory serves me wrong then I would appreciate someone enlightening me but if I am right it does explain why networks do not like tethering or streaming.
    Well, when I updated my iPhone 4 to 4.3 and got the hotspot option I called AT&T and thay said yes I could teather if I changed my data to do it, so I changed my data plan to the 4 gig a month tethered plan and am paying 45$ a month to do it and have had no problems,,,, so I'm going to use up my 4 gigs a month,,, and even before I had that plan I had the
    unlimited plan and did not even use 4 gigs a month,,, so I look at it as paying a little more for the option to tether

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    His solution is faster speed, unlimited bandwidth with fantasy equipment that never wears out and is deployed on every block. Apparently logic doesn't work so this sounds about right...
    Your so funny, Other carriers and other countries have the newer tech, At&t is updating, but my point is its not my responsibility. Some people on here seem to think you pay for a service and you should only use enough till "It stresses the system" of At&t, if that was true then At&t should only sell 1gb month plans and no tethering plans.

If you're using 20GB a month on your iPhone streaming netflix or hulu than good for you for taking advantage of your unlimited data, that's what we paid for right? However, if you're using tethering as your only home LAN and racking up data by the GB then AT&T has the right to eliminate your data plan because that's not what you or AT&T signed up for. It may void your warranty but at some point it is no longer beneficial to have people using masses of data.
    This is a failed argument.
    It doesn't matter how you use the Data you pay for.

points missed in these threads :

1. We have a plan we pay for called Unlimited Data and no one has been charged for using Data.

2. At&t has unlimited Tethering ( 2gb plus 2gb with tethering for $45 a month unlimited because they will not cut you off and you will pay $10 additional for each 1gb, you could use 100gb for all they care)

Nobody here signed an AT&T data plan with the intension of using it as their home broadband so why when apps like MyWi come out it's all of the sudden a right of all of ours?

I'm not talking about the occasional tether which is totally legit but if you're downloading movies or TV shows, torrenting, or any other form of mass data consumption, it's just hurting the rest of us.
    You can't have it both ways.

As a side note - how is it that MYPHONEI has hijacked both tethering discussions? It's getting old. I can recite his argument by memory. There is no need to cast aspersions like he does but hey, free to cut this post up into small clippets and tell me my argument has "failed".
    LOL funny, like I have no right to post? Good way to try to win an argument.

It would help your case if you would not say "Its wrong to tether if at home but it's ok on occasion" If its wrong, its wrong.

You can't say its ok to jaywalk on this street but not the other one, Wrong is wrong and right is right.

Funny hijack? I have done nothing but discuss tethering on a thread that is about tethering and At&t. That is not hijacking.

You just do not like me, no need to make it personal.

Please explain. When we had EDGE only in my area I used to turn data and 3G off on my phone and only use Text and phone while I was out of my house to conserve battery power. My phone worked just fine. Because EDGE was so slow my iPhone was pretty much just a phone when I was out but I could still write and email and have it sent when I got home to my wifi, watch movies, read a book, play games. All that without data. The updates for iOS come through iTunes so again, no data plan needed for that.

Just curious since I do not really understand why a data plan is required if you own this phone when you do not seem to need it to use it for some of the basic functions it can provide. Please enlighten. Thank you.
    Digg
    Did you pay for Data? Yes because At&t required it. Could you use Google maps or weather with Data off? No.

There are other functions as well,

Apple intends you to be able to log onto Itunes and App store to buy products from your Iphone anywhere anytime, that is one basic reason Data is required for the phone, Apple calls it Experience and Function, I call it capitalism.

If you try to use an Iphone on At&t without Data the At&t system knows the phone is an Iphone and will add the Data plan no matter what you do, this has been discussed for the past year on other threads.

At&t has kept up with the future in this way.
    Last edited by MYPHONEI; 04-13-2011 at 08:00 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post
    Your so funny, Other carriers and other countries have the newer tech, At&t is updating, but my point is its not my responsibility. Some people on here seem to think you pay for a service and you should only use enough till "It stresses the system" of At&t, if that was true then At&t should only sell 1gb month plans and no tethering plans.

This is a failed argument.
    It doesn't matter how you use the Data you pay for.

points missed in these threads :

1. We have a plan we pay for called Unlimited Data and no one has been charged for using Data.

2. At&t has unlimited Tethering ( 2gb plus 2gb with tethering for $45 a month unlimited because they will not cut you off and you will pay $10 additional for each 1gb, you could use 100gb for all they care)

You can't have it both ways.

LOL funny, like I have no right to post? Good way to try to win an argument.

It would help your case if you would not say "Its wrong to tether if at home but it's ok on occasion" If its wrong, its wrong.

You can't say its ok to jaywalk on this street but not the other one, Wrong is wrong and right is right.

Funny hijack? I have done nothing but discuss tethering on a thread that is about tethering and At&t. That is not hijacking.

You just do not like me, no need to make it personal.

Did you pay for Data? Yes because At&t required it. Could you use Google maps or weather with Data off? No.

There are other functions as well,

Apple intends you to be able to log onto Itunes and App store to buy products from your Iphone anywhere anytime, that is one basic reason Data is required for the phone, Apple calls it Experience and Function, I call it capitalism.

If you try to use an Iphone on At&t without Data the At&t system knows the phone is an Iphone and will add the Data plan no matter what you do, this has been discussed for the past year on other threads.

At&t has kept up with the future in this way.
    You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, call anyone who disagrees with you an at&t employee,makes things up to support your argument, and your name is pronounced my phoney. Sort of sounds like a verizon employee if I ever heard one

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
    You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, ................
    Calling the Kettle Black? I would read my own posts.

Maybe I came along just a month ago and then maybe I didn't.

You have no idea for sure, I could of been silent for years.

there is no requirement to join to read the news here.

As far as "Rip" friend its called debate, and as far as saying people are employees of At&t, you are one of them that I suspect, but it's not because of disagreement its because you have (using your definition) and a couple others have, "Hijacked the threads" as well. How many posts have you posted on tethering? I have most of your posts.

I could be silent and make it a one sided conversation.

Poor At&t....................

I think tethering is a switch and should not be a charge and should be free, I have the unlimited Iphone plan since the Iphone was first released by Apple, 1st Gen, how long have you had Iphones?

I've been a loyal Customer of Cingular then At&t since 2003 how long have you?

WOW talk about crap, who cares how long someone has posted? You have no idea who they are, we do not post our Pictures and complete resumes on the internet ( I would advise against it) we can be anyone from Sara Palin to Obama.......you have no idea who I am or who these "Long time posters" are

Maybe I'm Bruce Sewell LOL.

I have a stance and I defend it, I also like to read other's stances but debate the facts of the stance just as they debate my facts.

That's called Socratic learning, the great Argument. Personal attacks should not be apart of the argument yet I have fallen into the trap a couple times.

Its not a Hijack to be on topic, yet this post is not on topic, so lets stay on the topic about At&t and unlimited and the attack they have on it which has included accusing people of tethering.

Good day
    Last edited by MYPHONEI; 04-13-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Ok guys stop insulting each other. It's okay to voice you opinions but no need to make the conversation heated.

Ps I am an Att employee

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
    You are funny, you appear hear last month, hijack all the threads about tethering, rip long time contributors, call anyone who disagrees with you an at&t employee,makes things up to support your argument, and your name is pronounced my phoney. Sort of sounds like a verizon employee if I ever heard one
    Moosestache, I see you doing just as much hijacking as MYPHONEI. (Not that I have a problem with that - I enjoy the discussion and believe everybody has a right to voice an opinion.) The only "ripping" I've seen from this person is to question certain affiliations with AT&T. That's hardly an insult. Think about it for a second. You flame anybody that's critical of AT&T on these forums. Do you not see how that would arouse a certain curiosity on a site like this?

Respectfully written without condescension or sarcasm.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok back on topic...

I honestly do think att can see we are tethering. Only from the viewpoint that I maintain an ecommerce website for my wife. One of the basic functions of the shopping cart is I can see who is on our site. And by meaning "I can see who is on our site", I can tell if they are on a Mac/PC/iPhone/iPad. I can see which browser they are using, I can tell which firmware their iDevice is using and which mobile safari version they are on. Soooooo, if I can see all that with just such basic technology , I'm sure att has far better ways to detect than I do. And NO I DO NOT work for At&T. Just my .02

And Yes I'm gonna keep tethering. (I think I found a way to fool them) only time will tell.
    And No I don't "abuse" my UNLIMITED data. 2.5g is highest I have ever had.
    Last edited by sirlance0505; 04-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.