+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Atari's Greatest Hits Brings Retro Gaming to iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you're into retro gaming then you're really going to love the latest iOS app from Atari. Atari's Greatest Hits brings you 100 retro video games including 18 classic arcade
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Atari's Greatest Hits Brings Retro Gaming to iOS

If you're into retro gaming then you're really going to love the latest iOS app from Atari. Atari's Greatest Hits brings you 100 retro video games including 18 classic arcade games and over 90 Atari 2600 games. It's compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad, so you won't have to dedicate an entire room just to play your favorite arcade games anymore.

Atari's Greatest Hits is a free download and comes bundled with Pong. But if you really want to get the most out of it, you'll have to download additional game packs for $.99 each. If you'd rather download all 100 games at once, it will set you back $14.99. That's quite a bargain compared to downloading every game pack individually, setting you back around 25 bucks. A few of the oldies but goodies include: Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest (personal favorite), and many, many more.

Atari's Greatest Hits also includes the ability to play multiplayer games via Bluetooth for head-to-head matchups. For a bit of nostalgia, the app also includes original Atari 2600 box art and images of the original video game cabinets. Thankfully, you can't lose your entire allowance pumping quarters into this thing the way many of us did in our youth down at the local arcade.

If you have an iPad and are looking for a slightly more authentic arcading experience, then check out ThinkGeek's iCade. Unfortunately, they are currently sold out, but are currently in production and should be available again starting in early June for about $100. The iCade includes a real joystick and eight buttons for a more realistic gaming experience. There are no wires to connect because the iCade communicates with the iPad via Bluetooth.

Back in the 80s when you could find an arcade around just about any corner, portable gaming required a forklift. Nowadays you can take Flynn's Arcade with you wherever you go. Hopefully, more classic games from the Golden Age of Arcades will become available for iOS devices in the near future. Insert coin to play.

Source: Cult of Mac

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Nothing like the classics. Still got my old Atari.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Nothing like the classics. Still got my old Atari.
    I envy you SO MUCH right now!!!!
    Let's see If you have the games that kept "me" busy...... How-a-bout
    Asteroids
    Berzerk
    Breakout
    Centipede
    Defender
    The "1st" track and field..... And last but DEFINATELY not least... DIG DUG!!!!!! This post brought me back to the days of the "New coke " and the old coke. And some Max headrom bullshiz. Hahahahahaha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GellBrake'rrrr For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (04-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Of course Wiley would write this, lol

Thanks

Wow, this looks like a great app, downloading
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great. I am glad to see its made for the ipad and not just an enlarged version of an iphone version. I just downloaded it and asteroids is as much fun as it always was! Except its a little tricky to get use to the controls without my old joy stick!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

That's amazing! the iCade? how awesome is that? I'm gonna get this app (for my iPod though, i want an iCade!)

Thanks

This is nice

Green Apple
    Thanks

Man, it's got some pretty horrible reviews already...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
    Man, it's got some pretty horrible reviews already...
    Honestly, how many times can you re-release the classics? Every platform gets one. Namco Museum has been on every major console since the PS1 days. I got the one for the GameCube (the GBA one sucked hard). Now Namco wants to charge me $5 a pop for each game (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man). No thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Yes I am excited love me some atari
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    I envy you SO MUCH right now!!!!
    Let's see If you have the games that kept "me" busy......
    Actually I have most of all the gaming systems I ever had laying around. I'm talking pong set; yes the system that only played pong. Most of the Atari systems, all the sega devices(including handhelds), all nintendo devices(including most handheld, have the VirtualBoy), Magnavox Odyssey, Commodore, TurboGrafx (including handheld), NeoGeo, 3DO, all Sony gaming systems, had microsoft systems but those did not make it to the box of gaming.

The problem is I am not sure exactly where they are laying around. During one of my moves I think I put the box in my parents attic for safe keeping because I was switching states a few times.

iPhone? More like MyPhone urwack's Avatar
    Thanks

Playing Missle Command bought back many memories sitting on the living room floor thinking it was the greatest game ever and so realistic now I can play games in 3D, talk on a phone without a wire and play retro atari games on it, isn't technology great....you bet it is

Thanks
    I dont see it in the App Store. Is it elsewhere?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Its in the top ten free games. The app is free, the games are not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
    Its in the top ten free games. The app is free, the games are not.
    Thanks much!

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it include Crystal Castles? That's my all-time favorite.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Update: The games are really, really terrible. "Greatest Hits"? Ugh. Most of the stuff has not aged well. Maybe it was awesome back in 1977, maybe it was the groundwork for all games to come, but it just doesn't play well now. Pinball is simplistic and hard to control; I don't even know how 3D Tic Tac Toe is supposed to work. There seems to be no skill involved with Basketball.

They're not like true icons like Pac-Man or Galaga or even Dig Dug, which are way more fun than the games packages here.

The Atari 2600 ports of the classic arcade games are pretty bad, especially with gnarly coloring on Asteroids.

I'm not entirely sure how the controls are supposed to work, but the "joystick" thing is hard to control, and I'm not sure how or where I use the button. Screen is very small. I imagine the experience might be better on an iPad, but if you only have an iPhone or iPod touch, stay away. Stay FAR away.