+ Reply
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreaking = Job Opportunities

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPhone Jailbreaking = Job Opportunities

For one tech-savvy student at George Mason University, iPhone jailbreaking has provided a great opportunity to break the bank. Kevin Lee, a senior studying computer science, says he works full-time as an iPhone jailbreaker, earning upwards of $50,000 a year hacking iPhones that belong to his "customers" - a pool that is widening by the week.

From a simple ad on Craigslist to a full-fledged business, Kevin Lee was profiled nationally yesterday in The Washington Post because of his successful and lucrative operation. “To be honest, when I first started, I did it for my friends, myself, but it has snowballed from there,” said Lee. “I was getting five to 10 customers a week, now it’s 30 to 40. I just had one customer from the Mongolian embassy who was moving to the capital of Mongolia, and he wanted to use the iPhone there.”

One has to wonder if all this attention will somehow result in Apple "contacting" Mr. Lee in some fashion about his extracurricular career.

Still, The Washington Post piece went on to detail how the jailbreak industry is "losing its anti-establishment character." One example of this newfound reality is the recent Toyota campaign that offered a free program on Cydia’s store, promoting the company’s Scion sedan.

Adding insight to the piece was MMi co-founder Kyle Matthews: “We’ve seen expansion across the board. The Toyota ad and theme, to me, meant there was a turning of the tides and that jailbreaking is becoming more mainstream,” Kyle said. “The industry just keeps increasing; there are even repair stores that will jailbreak for you.”

To read the full Washington Post article, click here.

Source: The Washington Post

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Typing up my Craigslist ad as we speak

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Thats awesome 50k a year for doing jailbreaks that technically anyone can do for free is crazy. Smart kid tho
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I hate when people charge for jailbreaking.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (04-07-2011), andypropaganda (04-08-2011), coolguy742 (04-08-2011), Crimsonvaken (04-07-2011), darwina (04-14-2011), DMI187 (04-07-2011), Invicta (04-07-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    I hate when people charge for jailbreaking.
    Why

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (04-10-2011), DMI187 (04-07-2011)

Thanks

I don't think there's anything wrong with charging, it's the suckers that pay that are the problem. Shame on them for being too lazy/busy to do it themselves.

Thanks

Let's all think about this one.... Here is a guy that is using free jailbreak tools provided by people who offer the tools for free and he is in turn charging people and making money off of this tool. I think he should donate some of that money to the people who make it possible for him to make the money. Just my opinion.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blazeman563 For This Useful Post:

bubbliestar (04-07-2011), iquanyin (04-09-2011), LSZ33 (04-07-2011), rdaneshmand (04-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blazeman563 View Post
    Let's all think about this one.... Here is a guy that is using free jailbreak tools provided by people who offer the tools for free and he is in turn charging people and making money off of this tool. I think he should donate some of that money to the people who make it possible for him to make the money. Just my opinion.
    Whose to say he hasn't

Thanks

So by this logic shouldn't electricians be donating to the estate of ben franklin? I mean after all, it wasn't them that discovered electricity.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (04-11-2011), caffe1nated (04-07-2011), LanCo Rider (04-07-2011), n00neimp0rtant (04-07-2011), Team Infecti0n (04-07-2011)

Thanks

To all you people complaining, you don't understand FOSS. cf. Red Hat.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

I've always been completely biased on this whole thing... But you make some very good points. It's got me thinking now. Although I wouldn't charge for a jailbreak but if I did I'd do like 20% of my proceeds would go to the devs. Just my op

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Why
    Just think it is really lame and a lot of people will "throw" in cracked apps. I see it all the time on cragislist. "I jailbreak for 25$ and give you 250$ worth of apps" just a bunch of clowns making money off other people's hard work

18. The Following User Says Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

Invicta (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Just think it is really lame and a lot of people will "throw" in cracked apps. I see it all the time on cragislist. "I jailbreak for 25$ and give you 250$ worth of apps" just a bunch of clowns making money off other people's hard work
    It's called capitalism.

Thanks

I have another idea... open a website.. wait for other websites to post news.. then repost that news on your own site... oooooo ****.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gthugballin For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (04-07-2011), DaCodec (04-10-2011), LanCo Rider (04-07-2011), sub zero (04-07-2011), waroftyr (04-07-2011)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Some people don't want to mess with the jailbreak process because they are afraid of messing up their device, or the simple reason of not being tech-savvy enough to do so. I myself have jailbroken at least 20 friends and family's phones.... And some have paid me to do so.

Wish I could make 50 G's a year doing so. That's for sure!!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GellBrake'rrrr For This Useful Post:

NetMage (04-07-2011), Poseidon79 (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree with a lot of you guys that jailbreaking should be free especially since the tools released are free, but you still need to realize that even though the customers can get the software and do it themselves fairly easy, not all of them have the tech knowledge, to scared, lazy, etc. to do it themselves. This guy charges not for the jailbreak, but for the service and time. I do agree that part of the proceeds should go to the developers of the jailbreak he is using though.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djrbx For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (04-10-2011), manickbarry (04-07-2011), Poseidon79 (04-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    I have another idea... open a website.. wait for other websites to post news.. then repost that news on your own site... oooooo ****.
    Lolz

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

Thanks

I don't like the thought of people charging others to have their device jailbroken. It'll be a waste of money if the jailbreak malfunctions and a restore is needed.

I jailbreak for free, I believe jailbreaking shouldn't come with a price. That's why it angers me seeing cydia slowly turn into the AppStore. Hell even themes cost money now. It's not right, this isn't what jailbreaking was intentionally for.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CabooseLoL's Avatar
    Thanks

We might be on to something here. I say charge money to jailbreak peoples devices, but donate to the devs that make it possible. Kinda like tithing to a church. Give a percentage of what you make.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    Aww man that was pretty funny. I want to put this on my sig but I'm to lazy.