+ Reply
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreaking = Job Opportunities

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by glassJAw Just think it is really lame and a lot of people will "throw" in cracked apps. I see it all the time on cragislist. "I jailbreak
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Just think it is really lame and a lot of people will "throw" in cracked apps. I see it all the time on cragislist. "I jailbreak for 25$ and give you 250$ worth of apps" just a bunch of clowns making money off other people's hard work
    I see you point there but for the jailbreak alone charging to do it not that big of a deal. I do it. Some people just don't have the time or technical enough to know how to do it. So charging because people are lazy or just don't get how to do it I am all for it
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

I've made around $100 from different people who have thrown me some cash for helping them out.

I don't charge because I actually enjoy doing it, but I'm certainly not going to turn down a "tip"!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The fee is the charge for a SERVICE which is perfectly acceptable. He's not selling the software. I used to make a few hundred bucks a month doing the same thing but the competition was fierce around here... 4 or 5 people trying to undercut each other until the going rate was $10 or less. What y'all don't understand is these people take up a good 30-45 mins of your time with questions and support.. then you get hundreds of phone calls a week asking about Cydia stuff. Then you get a ridiculous amount of calls from people with phones that can't be unlocked and you have to spend 15 mins with them on the phone trying to explain why. I just gave up! lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

fmbar00 (04-08-2011), GellBrake'rrrr (04-07-2011), Invicta (05-13-2011), Jedi5o5 (04-07-2011), moon#pie (04-07-2011)

Thanks

If he's using the tools and charging $20 or less, then it might be ok. If he's charging more than that, he's ripping people off. I don't think there's anything wrong with him charging for his time. Those of us who've jb a quite a few know that it's not a guaranteed 2-3 minute operation all the time. No one mentioned him advertising the addition of cracked apps, but if that's being done, he's dead wrong. He SHOULD feel compelled to donate depending upon which tool or tools he uses.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't advertise or even tell people, but apparently simple word of mouth has people contacting me all the time asking me to fix their cracked screen or missing button, jailbreak/root their phone, clean viruses off their computer, etc.

In regards to charging people for jailbreaking, for which tools are provided for free... I charge them because my time is valuable to me, and they are not interested in learning how or simply want someone that knows what they are doing. Again, I never hand out cards or post ads on CL, but people still call me frequently.

I do adjust my prices according to the jailbreak method at the time. During jailbreakme.com times, I offer more support to make the fee worth it. Unless it's a friend, I don't charge less than $40 for any service... not worth the time to meet them, handle their questions, etc. Friends get my help for free or for beer, of course.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 04-07-2011 at 03:22 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

people are just paying for the time that you spend to jailbreak it. cause we all know time is money. so if people want to pay for a service they should. Have you guys every used a free program to help you do your job. he is just using the tools that he can to make a living so props to him

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moeses For This Useful Post:

NetMage (04-07-2011)

Thanks
    This is to funny. I tweeted earlier that i had jail broke 4 iPads and 2 iPhones for people. Nothing wrong for charging someone to use my time. And you'd be surprised how much people really don't want to do the modding themselves (lack of knowledge or just the hassle at times).

I find nothing wrong at all for charging. I mean, i can change the oil in my car myself, but i choose to pay $35 each time for someone else to do it. Same thing technically when we: eat out, get a hair cut, install a tv, wash car, etc...Just a service
    Follow me @iiBuckner

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iiBuckner For This Useful Post:

shigh (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    I see you point there but for the jailbreak alone charging to do it not that big of a deal. I do it. Some people just don't have the time or technical enough to know how to do it. So charging because people are lazy or just don't get how to do it I am all for it
    Yeah I get that I understand paying for services that I can't perform. I guess if you know how to jailbreak and realize how simple it really is, it's just frustrating seeing people charge for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

Invicta (05-13-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i flag those types of posts on craigslist, it angers me

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Yeah I get that I understand paying for services that I can't perform. I guess if you know how to jailbreak and realize how simple it really is, it's just frustrating seeing people charge for it.
    You could learn how to service your own car too but you take it to a mechanic/dealership and pay to get it serviced. You could learn how to fix the toilet but you pay a plumber. The examples are endless but I think you get the point.
    This is the same thing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (04-07-2011), Poseidon79 (04-07-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

man i have been doing it for free i think i will start charging people to do it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

shigh (04-08-2011)

Thanks

This is no different than paying someone to upgrade your operating system. All the tools are right there, but some people just feel better having a skilled person do it rather than risk it themselves.

This is sort of like what I'm doing this summer: I'm registering myself as an actual business and placing ads in the local papers and church bulletins for IT support. If I charged $25/hr (which seems like a TON). I would still be undercutting Geek Squad by $125.

MarnikIT =]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    i flag those types of posts on craigslist, it angers me
    Why? Would you flag posts offering to clean your gutters, or paint your house, or plumbing or electrician jobs?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

There are a lot of people who are not tech savvy and need help. I have never charged anyone for jailbreaking but I have jailbroken many friends iPhones and iPods before,even repaired some and although I may have charged for the repairs they always give me a friendly donation for the jailbreaks and a little extra tip for the repairs. They always tell me I should charge and start a little business but I only thought of it as a hobby. But I was thinking of doing this but I don't really have the time to help too many people since I'm still in school but when I go to college I'm sure I'll do something like this.

Thanks

Quit whining that he's charging to do this. It's labor plain and simple. Believe it or not there are some people who just cannot grasp anything technical whatsoever...even something as simple as jailbreaking. They know how to download apps and that is it. These are the same people who have no idea how to download a file on a computer and find it later. Their temporary folders are often FULL of useless crap. People having a certain skill and there being people who need things done with those skills is what drives economy. There will always be people who can do stuff themselves, and people who need others to do stuff for them. Do you think a plumber is going to call another plumber when a pipe leaks in his house?
    Last edited by ramicio; 04-07-2011 at 03:46 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If people are too lazy, scared, uneducated, whatever the reasoning may be, why can't someone do it for them. The more people with jb'd iPhones, the more legit this community becomes. Who cares who does the work.
    I personally would help the devs, I would also try to help in any way I could.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Good for him. If I was evil and charged everyone I jailbroke for I'd have a lot of money now, too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You´r all saying he deserves the money, right?
    Lets be honest, after one click software was released, it´s super easy to jailbreak. Installing ultrasn0w is as easy as it can be.
    Especially now when unlock scene isnt moving forward, 95% of people have no time to get know with cydia and they dont even want to. If there is no unlock and people have no time to play with cydia, why in the world they would want to jailbreak their phones?
    FREE APPS! 5-10 bucks for 100 dollar navigator and games. Good deal for them, but isnt this like hmm wrong?

Thanks

Good for him, if people want to pay, let them. He's earning a living off of this smart idea. Plus apple cant do anything about it, so he shouldn't fear the reaper
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Why? Would you flag posts offering to clean your gutters, or paint your house, or plumbing or electrician jobs?
    these people in my area charge 70 bucks to have your phone jailbroken and install00us installed so they can download illegal apps with no remorse for the damage they are doing to the people who make everything possible, the developers behind apps and the dev team.
    Last edited by fventura03; 04-07-2011 at 04:03 PM.