+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prototype Lens Creates 360-Degree Videos on iPhone 4

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you haven't heard about this interesting project yet, you may want to continue reading and check out the video shared above. Meet the "Go Pano Micro," the brainchild of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Prototype Lens Creates 360-Degree Videos on iPhone 4

If you haven't heard about this interesting project yet, you may want to continue reading and check out the video shared above. Meet the "Go Pano Micro," the brainchild of eyesee360. What we have here is a lens that can be affixed to Apple's fourth-generation iPhone to create full-fledged 360-degree panoramic videos.

As profiled in great detail on DesignBoom, the micro lens that makes the unique iPhone feature possible uses similar technology as the company's 'Go Pano Plus' panoramic optic for digital cameras. In short, the lens takes advantage of an "equiangular mirror" that is made of aluminum substrate instead of glass to "capture a complete panoramic image." Once attached, the lens records all angles at the same time. Consequently, during playback, users can pan through the video and watch from any conceivable angle.

For now, the product exists only in prototype (the lens and software for iPhone 4). We understand that efforts are being made to secure funding through a kickstarter campaign, the end result of which, hopefully, will be the widespread availability of this nifty device on a variety of mobile devices - phones, cameras, etc.

For more information about "Go Pano Micro" - and to keep tabs on its potential commercial availability - be sure to check out eyesee360's online homestead by clicking here.

Source: eyesee360

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

dimplenicko (04-07-2011), SkyGuy5 (04-07-2011)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

This is awesome. I want one. Even though it's a little bit large. The grin on his face seems as though it's a joke at first.

Thanks
    Just by looking at this, I can tell that it'll be costly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So a panoramic cam app + turning it with your hand= same effect minus big bulky Wang hanging off? Am I missing something?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Looks epic and nice... but it'll be more than $100 that's for sure... Also with the iPhone 5 around the corner I think they should wait it off and make one for it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prolix View Post
    Just by looking at this, I can tell that it'll be costly.
    It's only $50 on the KickStarter page (I already ordered). That includes the lens and case. That's pretty great considering the full GoPano for SLRs is $699.

Quote Originally Posted by mesojdm View Post
    So a panoramic cam app + turning it with your hand= same effect minus big bulky Wang hanging off? Am I missing something?
    Yes, you are. You can stand in one place (no need to turn anything) and capture 360 degrees of video (or pics). Then later, during playback, you can rotate the video at will to see what's happening anywhere in the field of vision. That's pretty cool. You can see examples on their site: EyeSee360 Examples. Though I hope the final quality would be better than what's shown in the example. It looks pretty pixelated.
    Last edited by stevelucky; 04-06-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hm. Cool. Wouldn't buy it though unless it further develops into a smaller accessory. It's quite large and ugly right now. Maybe in the future if an integrated one isn't incorporated in the near future.

Thanks

This is awesome in any aspect amazing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bignighttrain For This Useful Post:

dsg (04-07-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
    This is awesome in any aspect amazing.
    indeed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would order one right now. But here is my problem. It does not say anywhere on their website or on the Kick-starter page that what format or quality the Pano video gets recorded in. Now if it is in full 720P HD like how the iPhone 4 can record normal video than i will definitely order a unit right now. But if it is in regular VGA quality than thats something that is just not worth it.

He says in the page that imagine looking at the brides fathers face while the priest says ...... blah blah ..... Now would you like to see that moment in HD ... or in VGA? I would think someone who is in charge of recording video of the wedding would just have one cameraman shooting the man, wife, priest, while an extra cameraman shooting the people who are watching the ceremony ALL in HD quality so crisp that you can see the BX cable nose hairs of the bride / grooms father! I'm going on and on here. Anyone feel the same way??

P.S No offence, But the guy in the video ... the way he is grinning, he looks like some sort of sex predator .... I don't know .... lol
    Last edited by therockk; 04-06-2011 at 10:17 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

looks badass. would come in handy too for security situations if they can make a wireless version that you could put somewhere and remotely access.

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post

P.S No offence, But the guy in the video ... the way he is grinning, he looks like some sort of sex predator .... I don't know .... lol
    well if he tries to pull a stunt, little does he know we have his face on video...haha zing!
    Last edited by alexevo; 04-06-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't it just basically mirrors making it work? That would mean that the quality of the vid/pic would still be the same because you are using the Iphones camera. If this is the case, it's like holding your phone in front of the mirror, and watching the reflection. The reflection would be the same quality as with no mirror since the camera didn't change.

Thanks

its a great concept, but probly not practical for the avg user

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Now that's an interesting add on lol. But probably not something I would buy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    It's only $50 on the KickStarter page (I already ordered). That includes the lens and case. That's pretty great considering the full GoPano for SLRs is $699.

Yes, you are. You can stand in one place (no need to turn anything) and capture 360 degrees of video (or pics). Then later, during playback, you can rotate the video at will to see what's happening anywhere in the field of vision. That's pretty cool. You can see examples on their site: EyeSee360 Examples. Though I hope the final quality would be better than what's shown in the example. It looks pretty pixelated.
    Yeah the way this thing works is by splitting up ur CCD sensor to look all around. Doing this will greatly reduce the quality. One other thing is I'm curious if there is pc/mac software to go with this or only playable on an iphone.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Yeah the way this thing works is by splitting up ur CCD sensor to look all around. Doing this will greatly reduce the quality. One other thing is I'm curious if there is pc/mac software to go with this or only playable on an iphone.
    And an internal fiber optic to transfer the video from the top to the camera lens.
    Last edited by javiert30; 04-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Too big right now and don't really have a use for 360-degree video shots. Good start though!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I want one!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Cool concept!!

Creepy dude..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks like there is a PC or mac application that can play the vids.
    You can clearly see him playing back video and moving a mouse across the screen to change the pan