+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Toyota - Take Down that Theme

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What can't any company publicly take a stance against another company? Is it the traditional fear to keep neutral and not spin misconception or burn any bridges? Maybe someone can
    Green Apple
    Thanks

What can't any company publicly take a stance against another company? Is it the traditional fear to keep neutral and not spin misconception or burn any bridges?

Maybe someone can better explain that concept? To me, it's courage to stick with a stance when the heat is on. If anything, they'd eventually generate news attention in the mainstream media. They'd be the knight, calling out the oppressor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
    I bet we see this theme re posted on the net just to keep the middle finger up at apple just a little longer. Hell I'll do it.
    I hope so.

Thanks

But is this really a big surprise to anyone? It was only a matter of time before Apple dropped the BanHammer on Toyota for not putting a stop to this.

But like other posters have said, this theme will be up online somewhere for someone to find and probably some talented person will make a better theme for the Scion, which come to think of it, I don't even know anyone with a Scion!!!

LOL, LMAO!!
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

iPhone? More like MyPhone LamboFan's Avatar
    Thanks

That really sucks. Toyota is making the right move friendly wise but I don't believe they should listen to Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heres how simple this is, iAd 500,000$ to dance with apple iAd system. I'm pretty sure they didn't even pay 10% of that to dance with the jailbreak community. Apple called them up and was Ike why sell your candy in the sandbox when you can sell to the whole school,.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Same ole Sony being a spoil sport and bully....oh sorry it's Apple we're talking about, I get those two mixed lately.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Good for all
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post

A couple days ago I wrote an article discussing Toyota's Scion theme they'd published in Cydia through Velti, an advertising agency they use. I was impressed at a major corporation recognizing the niche jailbreak market and pouring some attention into it. The idea brought some interesting possibilities, and the article got some legs, including a mention on Daring Fireball this morning.

Apple also heard about the theme and ad campaign. I received a call from our contact at Velti this evening as well as an email asking me to please take the theme out of Cydia. On the phone, he explained Apple had contacted Toyota and requested they remove the theme and stop the advertising campaign. They (Velti) in turn contacted me relaying the message. The reason Velti listed for the removal request of the theme emailed through our dev portal was "Toyota’s making us take it down…" Toyota had agreed to do so to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," our Velti contact told me on the phone.

We first began talking with Velti the end of April last year, and the theme went live February 10th of this year - so Toyota had been thinking about this a while. In the end of March, 2011 we started their ad campaign on ModMyi.com depiction pages within Cydia pointing to the theme.

There's been a lot of mentions in the media throughout the jailbreak years of the cat and mouse game Apple and the jailbreak dev team are supposedly involved in. This is a very direct message, which is not without precedence (remember when they declared jailbreaking illegal?), but was unexpected. Especially after jailbreaking was officially declared legal, it's interesting Apple maintains such a heavy stance against a niche who obviously loves their hardware so much.
    Funny thing is, I doubt that the Iphone would be so wildly popular if not for the hacking done on it. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing device and I would own it regardless, but the jailbreaking and hacking only makes me want it more. When someone outside the company can make a program that someone inside the company couldn't, its amazing. Remember the Xbox and Xbox 360? Great systems, but when you were able to hack it and do homebrew, people went out and bought second systems to have. I don't agree with piracy, but I do agree with innovation. I just wish everyone would stand up to apple and they would have no say in the matter. If not for us, they would be nothing. They should allow us what we want on OUR phones.

Thanks

That's stupid. Since when does Apple designate how manufacturers (etc.) can make business decisions?

Although I guess that's what they've been doing all along regarding their hatred of our
    hacking/exploring/creating. But then again, that just shows the power that jb really does have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Same ole Sony being a spoil sport and bully....oh sorry it's Apple we're talking about, I get those two mixed lately.
    Lol.

Thanks

Screw apple. They have no control of what goes in and out of cydia. They are not involved with it.
    Last edited by ty22; 04-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Screw apple. They have no control of what goes in and out of cydia. They are not involved with it.
    They shouldn't but apparently they do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow such hate here... I am sure Toyota knew they would take it down. Does no one see the free advertisement that Toyota schemed up. (I aint haten either...love my iphone and my new 2011 Tundra). Don't feel sorry for Toyota or call them spineless. Its called business smarts! Not everything in life needs to be a war. What do some of you want? Another lawsuit that we the customers end up paying for thru price increases?

IMO... Toyota very smart for getting a little free advertisement! A
    Toy - not spineless just "oops sorry Apple" teeheeee...It worked our free advertisement and a little press as well...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

didnt read every post but, Hey, Toyota!! How about growing a pair and do what the flip you feel like doing rather than kissing some fanny!!

While i enjoy apple hardware, im "this" close to bailing on the iphone come renewal time. More on a matter of principal because of issues like this. My iphone wouldnt be nearly as much fun to use if it werent for the jailbreak community. I dunno, may be time to give the android scene a looking into.
    Last edited by ttlphotography; 04-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Apple indeed is spending time on modmyi forum and checking out what we as a comminity will say or do so they can use it against us in their pointless updates.
    If this is the case I would personally like to invite Steve Jobs and his band of self Righteous a-holes to suck a big fat ****.

Signed

Akio Toyoda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Wow such hate here... I am sure Toyota knew they would take it down. Does no one see the free advertisement that Toyota schemed up. (I aint haten either...love my iphone and my new 2011 Tundra). Don't feel sorry for Toyota or call them spineless. Its called business smarts! Not everything in life needs to be a war. What do some of you want? Another lawsuit that we the customers end up paying for thru price increases?

IMO... Toyota very smart for getting a little free advertisement! A
    Toy - not spineless just "oops sorry Apple" teeheeee...It worked our free advertisement and a little press as well...
    While you may be right, I look at it more then free advertisement. It was really cool to see a company that went the Cydia route. To me its kinda like for the first time a company didnt look at jailbreaking or at the community as "evil".

Thanks

Apparently Apple's long arm of the law goes beyond their updates intended to end jailbreaking. Because now they have to begin messing with the content on Cydia?
    Sheesh Apple, grow up!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

So what. Most jb apps cost $$ now & all are full of adds(that is no doubt the reason it takes so long for each page to load). You actually have to learn to navigate past the ads carefully because scrolling is disabled when touching the ad(you have to touch the screen immediately above or below the ad to scroll). Does anybody really want a Toyota scion theme? Having a scion & a scion theme is pretty 6A¥!
    Last edited by kbcox0327; 04-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks

It's not about whether people want the theme or not as much as it is whether Apple should not be throwing their weight around.

Thanks

Isn't this start to look like 1984 ?? but now Apple is a Big Brother.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8]YouTube - 1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial[/ame]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's okay Apple. You win this battle, but we will win the war. You really think getting Toyota to pull ONE theme is going to do anything to discourage the jailbreaking scene? Dream on. We're here to stay and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.