+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Target of Federal Probe Due to Possible Personal Info Leaks

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It looks like a federal grand jury is taking a closer look at specific third-party applications in both Apple's iTunes store and Google's Android Market to see if some applications
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Target of Federal Probe Due to Possible Personal Info Leaks

It looks like a federal grand jury is taking a closer look at specific third-party applications in both Apple's iTunes store and Google's Android Market to see if some applications are retrieving personal user info from their apps. This is a big no-no in the world of computer-fraud, and could lead to prosecution of any company that may be found to be doing these illegal practices through their applications.

According to the Wall Street Journal and Market Watch, who first broke the story, a federal jury has concern for apps in these "digital stores" that could potentially be giving away personal information from your smartphone, behind the scenes. The user would have little-to-no knowledge that the information is even being sent out.

Market Watch also mentions that popular music-streaming service Pandora is one of the companies who's app is being targeted. Pandora has stated that they were subpoenaed in "early 2011." If you don't remember, this issue popped up right around that time, when both the Weather Channel and Pandora had class-action lawsuits filed against them, that claim that these companies, with Apple's help, created software to obtain individual user info from within their apps.

We'll keep a close eye on this to see if the federal jury uncovers any foul play here. For all we know, this personal information may simply be used for advertising, but its important that our smartphone apps, that have access to a lot of saved personal info, only be able to access information they absolutely need in order to successfully provide content for users.

Source:
    WSJ
    MarketWatch
    Evolver.FM

iPhone? More like MyPhone LamboFan's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW, I can't wait to see the results!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thenextkiller's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why you dont put **** on your ipod
    Am firin ma lasah

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I know they do, storm8 had a class action lawsuit because their apps grab UDID (I think). They acknowledged that they did this to determine the device the game is played on and later settled on the lawsuit.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Savoca View Post
    For all we know, this personal information may simply be used for advertising...
    It doesn't matter how "simply" it may be used, the information was taken without permission. And if these apps did in fact steal personal information, I hope the scumbags responsible and their accomplices fry.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

hitman10 (04-04-2011), kingbijan (04-04-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    It doesn't matter how "simply" it may be used, the information was taken without permission. And if these apps did in fact steal personal information, I hope the scumbags responsible and their accomplices fry.
    If you truly feel that way for people using your info for advertising, I think you have some privacy issues.
    I think some people just need to chill, at least legally.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrSwitzrland View Post
    If you truly feel that way for people using your info for advertising, I think you have some privacy issues.
    I think some people just need to chill, at least legally.
    If corporate is not held legally responsible, it will be abused. Apple already owns advertising company with this info and not held accountable, they will sell ads stating that they have all these (hijacked) consumers waiting for their product when in fact many of us are not interested.
    Don't know about you but I do not want ads popping up on my iPhone, using my bandwidth on useless ads slowing down whatever I have running even further.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Like Pandora that's shares info about you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Read this as I was listening to Pandora-maybe not a good sign.
    Does anyone know the details on the information they are "borrowing"? I know someone mentioned UDID, but anything else particular that could be taken?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Scumbags? Anyone who says that is probably not going to know what they're talking about, lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    Scumbags? Anyone who says that is probably not going to know what they're talking about, lol
    It's obvious you don't, you just like to rag on ppl and their comments so...

If it actually is happening then it'll be taken care of. Had nothing been written about it most everyone would have continued living life as normal not knowing/caring

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't particularlly won't big companies taking my personal info and stuff :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    What are you talking about?

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I could never get into Pandora, or any of those services. No one knows what I want to hear more than I do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone sends out data in the middle of the night. Look at your data activity on your bill. I noticed one night it sent out almost 200mb.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    The iPhone sends out data in the middle of the night. Look at your data activity on your bill. I noticed one night it sent out almost 200mb.
    Solution: stop using the apps that are sending data in the middle of the night.
    Nothing in iOS or Apples Apps are sending this data

Thanks

Actually the phone does "check in or phone home" quite frequently. Idk about 200mb worth tho. Ask AT&T they will even tell you it uses data even when you aren't using it. If that makes sense. Who knows what it sends idc enough to sniff the packets to find out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    If corporate is not held legally responsible, it will be abused. Apple already owns advertising company with this info and not held accountable, they will sell ads stating that they have all these (hijacked) consumers waiting for their product when in fact many of us are not interested.
    Don't know about you but I do not want ads popping up on my iPhone, using my bandwidth on useless ads slowing down whatever I have running even further.

Any of you actually read the 70 page iTunes and AppStore usage EULAs?

Lol... Advertising is a "must" ... iAd and facebook ads sound familiar?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    You must have live apps running in the background then and never on Wi-Fi, I'm only on the 200MB plan and I barely use half of my data per month because I'm always on Wi-Fi.
    "Don't hold it like that!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

G-o-o-g-l-e
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s